• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Enable Zoom with Crop Tool

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may have already been suggested, but it would be nice if the zoom feature in Lightroom 4 could be enabled while using the crop tool to make refined adjustments to the crop area. At present, there is only a clumsy work-around using the secondary display for refined crop adjustments.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 136 Replies 136
136 Comments
Engaged ,
Sep 02, 2024 Sep 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on photos at 25% viewing size because I find LRCC performs more quickly. Whether this is true or just my imagination, I've noticed that while working at this view size, initializing the crop tool, my view changes to "Fit" (the photo takes up more real estate on the screen). Once I finish cropping, my view returns to the % view I was originally working at. The switch between view sizes is sort of jarring.

I propose allowing the crop tool to function at a viewing % lower than "Fit". 

Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it make sense...  We ask for it in 2012 and we are still waiting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Respectfully, this thread isn't about performance, it's about the need for accuracy when cropping. When one is working with 150+ megapixel files the crop tool, as is, is horribly innacurate. We need to be able to zoom in and see the entire image so that we can crop accurately.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, cropping is dimensionless so IMO selecting particular absolute pixel zoom factors such as 1:1, might be a bad usability fit in principle. Because when we sync a given crop across two photos of different resolutions, the sync is purely of pictorial composition and has nothing to do with individual pixels. 

But one might nonetheless, without doing any violence to the underlying 'dimensionless' concept, want to magnify / reduce by a certain relative amount compared with Fit view. Say, go to 50% of Fit or to 200% of Fit. As noted already, that is a matter of achieving compositional accuracy not of achieving pixel accuracy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Scott_Martin_  I posted this as a new topic but an admin merged it with this thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 16, 2024 Oct 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the latest versions of Bridge, ACR and Lightroom and continue to be disappointed that there is no native ability to zoom in on images while cropping in Lightroom whereas the zooming while cropping in ACR works perfectly. After cropping using Bridge/ACR I then need to use Read Metadata from File to update it in LrC. That has me wondering if there's a way to use ACR to perform edits (such as Cropping) while within Lightroom.

This would be a feature request to allow users to edit original images (not Virtual Copies) displayed in the Library using ACR in the same way as from within Bridge. While Lightroom's Develop Module is built on ACR the crop behaviour is nowhere near as precise (one can enlarge up to 1600% while cropping with ACR). For some workflows it might be useful to have temporary access to ACR and Read Metadata from File would be automatically applied when returning to LrC. Just a thought .... 

Or just fix the crop tool in LrC 😉

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Russell Proulx 

If you need to crop when zoomed then you can use the "Adjust Crop" command provided by "Any Crop" Plug-in: https://johnrellis.com/lightroom/anycrop.htm

The author is @John R Ellis 

No need to journey to ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed everyone. I have a thought - and maybe this is easier than Abode realises. You know how the magnification Loupe comes up ajacent to the cursor when using The Guided Tranform? That's what we need for cropping. A loupe option that allows us to see the whole image but also full res detail for precise crop placement. If we could mouse around with this loupe and check placement with the existing crop that would be ideal. Thanks for listening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have a peek again at that plugin but I seem to remember it was nowhere near as good as what ACR provides.

But we should not have to use a 3d party hack to provide something as basic as being able to view cropping at a higher magnification. If it works so well then why doesn't Adobe just pay the author for their efforts and add it to a LrC update?

Just keeping this thread alive 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Russell Proulx 

ACR demands users to drag handles to cop.

Adjust Crop instead uses sliders ( a limit of the SDK that does not allow any control on the LrC UI)

This said those sliders offer many advantages.

For instance you can crop and zoom in /our and crop without having any distracting UI to deal with AND only visualising the current crop.
ACR doens't allow that.

If you think that's not good you can then spend your time to open the image in ACR just to crop.

This request has been standing for 12 years now.

@John R Ellis provided a solution tha tis only limited by what the SKD allows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Scott_Martin_ 

I agree.  The same magnifier tool that is in transform would be great. Adobe hass definately been ignoring this feature request for a LONG time.  

Votes

Translate

Translate