• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom: Ability to delete the default develop presets

LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[You can now hide the built-in presets in LR 7.3 using a free plugin or manually with a multi-step recipe.  --John Ellis]

It is now possible, though tedious, to delete the built-in presets in LR 7.3 and later. See this recipe: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/delete_default_develop_presets?topic-reply-li... --John Ellis]

I really would like to be able to delete the develop presets that ships with LR3. I don't use them as they are in the way of my own presets when using the Library Module.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018
The ability to delete the default develop presets has been modified to allow you to hide them instead as of Version 7.4, We are closing this as implemented. We hope it helps keep your workspace tighter!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 111 Replies 111
111 Comments
LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#Jeffrey, I see I forgot to thank you for the link. You know... it's never too late... I hope 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm no longer able to find the Develop presets.  The folder used to be in the Lightroom > Develop Presets folder.  It's not longer there.  Now there are seven worthless folders at the top of the menu.  They don't even allow multiple levels to help keep the presets organized.  What's with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use the default Lightroom presets. Is it possible to delete them, or at least move them into one folder, to streamline what that panel looks like? I'm on a Mac.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been requested many times but Adobe has been adamant about keeping them hard coded.  I guess they think we can’t live without them.  For me, they just take up valuable screen space and are mostly useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I don't think I use any of them. But they are there, and there is nothing that can be done to remove them. End of story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for the

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I place all MY presets into 'Numbered' "folders".

That way they all appear above the Lightroom default presets.

Even use 'Alphabetic' names that start with A-K, and these will sort before L.

ScreenShot127.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could add your constructive opinion to this feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Ability to delete the default develop presets | Photoshop Family Customer Community . Click Me Too in the upper-right corner as well.  That will make it a tiny bit more likely Adobe will implement this before the next ice age.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure about that Jim? I remember doing this several years ago. You have to use an editor to edit one of the LR files. I'll look up the details if I can find them. The only problem is that the next update puts them back again, and you have to repeat the editing.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here is how to do it! It worked because I did it several years ago, but I got fed up with repeating it every time LR update

http://tokyomagic.co.uk/lightroom-removing-lightrooms-default-presets-on-windows/

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked because I did it several years ago...

This person reports in the feature-request topic that it worked for LR 6 / CC 2015: Lightroom: Ability to delete the default develop presets | Photoshop Family Customer Community

No reports there if it works with LR 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it will; you may have to change the permissions on the develop.lrmodule file to allow writing to it.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it still works, but it is very tedious. You have to delete each preset one by one, I think. And you have to play around with Resource Hacker - I set it to win7 compatibility and admin mode - and change permissions on the develop.lrmodule file to allow writing to it.

Not worth the hassle for me, but for you ?

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One good reason for Adobe to allow the user to remove the preinstalled presets is performance.  In Adobe own "Performance tips" link    Optimize Lightroom performance    the following is stated!

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 4.32.57 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic CC 7.3 now comes with FOURTEEN folders of hard-coded presets. This is mind-boggling, and a colossal waste of screen real estate.

Please, let those of us who don't use them just get rid of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really strange we can't delete them without going under the hood. I never use any supplied presets for anything, it's just taking up valuable real-estate in my workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some sniffing, snooping and digging, in Lightroom 7.3 it is now indeed possible to delete the default Develop presets, and the default new profiles as well (personally, I have zero use for any of the modern, vintage etc. presets that look just like Instagram filters - who's still using those anyway?:-))

On Windows, the files are in two locations: one for Lightroom (the presets) and one for ACR (the profiles). Both locations contain both the presets and the profiles, but it seems that Lightroom pulls the profiles from the ACR location too. I zapped everything that I found superfluous from both locations while Lightroom wsa not running, then started Lightroom, and they’re gone. YAY!

So, WARNING: Restarting Lightroom does indeed not restore these files, so make sure to make a BACKUP of the files before you delete anything. I’m not responsible if you wreak havoc on your installation.

That said, the two locations on my Windows 7 64bit system are:

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic CC\Resources\Settings\

c:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings\Adobe\

If anyone wants to add the locations for a Mac that would be swell.

Cheers
Alex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than hack into the program files, I suggest you launch Adobe Camera Raw and go to its Presets tab. You can hide groups of presets there, and AFAICS those settings are reflected in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be great to allow this in LR as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed. I never use ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. In the C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings
are ONLY the added additional templates as XMP files. The default 14 in question don't seem to be there. 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, John. I am afraid unfortunately it is NOT working using the GUI only. And opening ACR for this single purpose is ludacris. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate