• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:(Masking) Default names for masks by type.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of naming all masks "mask", regardless of the type, it would be very helpful if they're named by mask type.

E.g. "brush 1", "brush 2", "linear mask 1", "radial mask 1" and so on. This way it's way easier to pick the right masks when copying the settings from one photo. Most of the time I don't want to copy the brushes, but only the linear and radial masks.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
29 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't the corresponding mask name be inserted automatically for the masking "Motif" and "Background" ?
For all other masks I find it correct to have to assign the name myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Motif" and "Backgroun

Translation issue? Do you mean Select Sky and Select Subject?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Select Sky and Select Subject 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do know that you can rename those masks, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course.

I'm talking about the default names. They're all the same. Let's say you create 10 masks. They're just named mask 1-10.

But in reality you've created maybe one sky mask, one luminosity, two linear, two radial and 4 brushes. Ya, so much fun renaming all of them.

Instead, if the default names would incorporate the mask type, you would more or less know which is which. You open the copy settings menu and it says "sky 1", "luminosity 1", "linear 1" and "linear 2" and so on. Saves the time for renaming, which you can still do if you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have four brush masks, then I doubt that you would still know which one is 'Brush 2' and which one is 'Brush 3' a few days later, but I do agree that a default name that refers to the mask type would help. Especially a mask like 'Sky 1', because you will not often have more than one sky mask.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Mask is made up of components, even if it only one component.  If you created a mask with a Linear and then subtracted a Brush than what would you call it? It is not a Linear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Mask is made up of components, even if it only one component.  If you created a mask with a Linear and then subtracted a Brush than what would you call it? It is not a Linear.

Why not and more importantly: who cares? You can say it's a linear mask with some brushed fine tuning. As long as it helps you to find the correct mask to copy, it's worthwhile to have this and better than 'Mask 7'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @GoldingD said, Just rename the masks to anything you want.  I find it easier to leave the names and just drag my cursor over the mask names and they highlight and then I can easily pick the one i want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto Bob's comment

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, this is a feature request. If you do not agree, then just don't vote for it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it still wouldn't hurt you to rename "Sky 1" to "Sky made more blue".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. Anybody who prefers to rename their masks, can still do that if the default name is a little more descriptive than 'Mask 23'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm loving the new masking features in Lightroom as I'm suddenly now able to do so much more without having to open PS! But when I add lots of masks for dodging, burning etc I'm usually too lazy to name them... it would be super useful if there was an option for Lightroom to automatically name them according to the brush presets used. Obviously we don't always use a preset as is but it would still be possible to name them with something useful like "Dodge Shadows (edited)" if we started with a preset or just mention the first slider we touched if we start with everything at zero. Does this make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I just requested something like this too! I think it would be most useful if the mask name told us what the mask did... if we used a preset like "Dodge"... started with a preset "Dodge (edited)... or just mentioned the first slider we adjusted if we made a custom adjustment. The little mask thumbnails do okay in helping us identify whether it was a linear gradient, or a select subject or whatever but whats missing is the action carried out by the mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not request the same thing again in a different thread. That is counter productive because Adobe looks at votes. Vote for this existing thread. I merged your request with this one for exactly that reason.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I'd already done it before I saw the other thread. And I did vote for the other one too! Thanks anyway - it makes sense to out them together 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new masking is great, but when selecting people, if you choose all of the masks, they are just named "mask 1, mask 2", etc... Would save time and make it easier if it named the mask according to the selection - "hair, teeth, skin", etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a great idea !

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agreed. 
The most obvious lack in the masks names is all the person features: if you select the face skin for instance (well done by LRC BTW) why does this new mask is not named "skin tone"??? It makes no sens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean the mask should be labelled "face skin"...

(and why can't we re-edit our post to correct them in this community? 🙄)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR masks is a nice feature but it could be easely improved.

- Automatic specific naming when the mask is created with Background/Sky/Subject/Face skin... etc.

- Copy-paste of setting from a mask to another. Example, I create 3 masks with the AI person: eyes, face skin, body skin ans ask for three differents masks because of the eyes very different settings. Often the two skins masks should have the same settings, and currently I have to do everything twice.

- Refining masks: the IA job is fine but sometimes I need to smooth a mask for instance, and currently it has to be done tediously with an aditionnal brush. An automatic mask smoothing (feather or wathever) would be nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah agreed! Just call them anything that's more helpful than Mask 1, Mask
2, etc.!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now when you select:

Create New Mask > Select People > Person 1 > Facial, Body, Eybrows, etc.

these masks will show up in masks lists as: Mask 1, Mask 2, Mask 3, etc.

Can Lightroom create new masks with names Face, Body, Eyebrows, etc.?

Exactly like the masks are created when selection Adaptive - Enhance Portrait.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please merge with this version of the Idea, which has more votes and detailed discussion:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-masking-default-names-for-masks-by-type/idi...

Votes

Translate

Translate