• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:Need a check box in Slideshow that automatically resizes the images to fit the screen in Play mode

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Slideshow, the image in the Template Preview correctly zooms to Fit, but when you Play the slideshow, or export the video, the image reflecst the original image size.  The only way to fix this is to open each image in PhotoShop, manually change the image size, and then resave the image back into Lightroom.  This is extremely tedious and timeconsuming when you have 100's of images in a slideshow.  A much better approach would be to have a "Check Box" in the Layout section that will automatically resize/zoom the image to Fit the screen in Play mode.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
50 Comments
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My images are too small in slideshow mode and do not fill the screen. How do I enlarge them to fit the full screen. I have ticked zoom to fill frame with no luck. Currently the images are 720x480. Many thanks Serena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may have to Export the images, setting them to re-size to a larger size (eg.1920x1080 pixels)

Export to the same folder, add to catalog, uncheck [Do Not Enlarge],  Re-name is not necessary as Lr can append a "-2" creating a unique name.

Now re-select the enlarged photos for the slideshow.

Be aware, enlarging may not preserve any perceived sharpness in the smaller photos.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have about 33 slides I have scanned into LR. All are at different sizes of original photos. Some very small, some 8x10. When I create a slide show, no matter what settings I choose, it does not resize the small photos to fill the screen, which is what I want to do. Funny, I can use the standard Library view, switch into Lights out mode, and then do my own manual slide show and all the photos are full screen, just as they should be when you edit them. That is what I want the slide show module to do! But I have tried every menu, and clicked ever setting and cannot get the slideshow module to properly resize the photos.

What is funny is that I then exported the photos to a folder on my mac, and imported them into Photos (Apples built in application for photos, what used to be iPhoto). Within minutes I setup a slide show and all the photos were displayed perfectly. Tiny ones scaled to full screen.

What am I missing in the Adobe Slide Show settings to make this happen correctly? Surely this can't be a flaw in this expensive package! It's a simple thing to want to do!

Thanks in advance...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR applies a limit when enlarging photos for a slideshow.

May I ask for the resolution (in pixels) the images in question have?

All slide scanners I know normally easily create images with a decent resolution.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be somewhat more precise: It does not zoom over 100%. Meaning if you want them to be full screen, there resolution needs to be at least the same, or of course higher as the resolution of you screen.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example: I have one of the photos that I scanned in at 579x833. Another is 452x714. I scanned them all at 150dpi. They are small b& W photos from a long time ago. I want it to be blown up during the slide show to fit the screen. I have two shows I'm producing for a family. The second show has 230 slides in it, many of them smaller family photos.

I understand your statement about "it does not zoom over 100%". First of all, it's  not zooming at all. Even with the checkbox checked and Crop to Fill chosen in the Template panel. I have tried choosing different aspect previews in the Layout menu. And to be clear, I have taken the photos from the Library, filtered them by star number, then created a Collection for the sake of sorting them in order. Then I go into Slideshow and try and play it. I get a slideshow but with the slides not being enlarged *at all*.

In frustration I exported all the photos into a new folder on the desktop, at full resolution to whatever they were scanned at (essentially a copy of the jpgs). I then imported that into Apple's Photo application and created a slide show out of them there. They were all appropriately blown up to full screen size with no issue. While some of them looked like crap at that resolution, when I showed it to the customer they were thrilled.

I have a hard time believing that this professional software that I'm paying for is not capable of simply doing what I want, which is a pretty basic feature. As a long professional both still and filmmaker I am not used to having a product that claims to be professional but can't do simple tasks as well as complex ones. I have been using Lightroom for many years now. So I consider myself pretty knowledgeable on it in general.

So am I correct that I need to use a different program to get this to work as the customer expects? Or am I missing something? And if the answer is *that's the way it's programmed" then I need to file a bug, because this feature needs to be improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, the PREVIEW screen in the upper left hand corner of the screen in Slideshow mode *seems* to be showing the correct image when the photos I choose are all the same size (even smaller ones). However, when the slides are a variety of sizes (from 8x10 originals on down to small snapshots) the preview shows the wrong sized blown up slides. It appears to take the largest one in the group and blow up all the others to that size, even if it means that it crops the shot erroneously. The photo *should* be blown up to fit the tallest length of each photo, and let the width fall into whatever size it may be (which will be smaller than the width of the screen). Landscape photos should, and apparently are blown up to fit proportionally, as I would expect.

But again, while the preview screen works, it does not work when I go into preview mode, or play mode.

Can anyone else validate whether they see this behavior, or whether it is a bug with the version of the Mac OS, the Adobe product, and the iMac with it's video card?  (using iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017 and Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, 40 GB RAM)

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screen grab demonstrating what I'm seeing. Notice the PREVIEW screen is fine! But it doesn't play at that resolution when I hit the Preview or the Play button

screen capture of bug in LR CC Classic.jpeg

Here's what I get when I export either to PDF, Preview Play, or Video to show you what I mean.

test of PDF output_Page_1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered this problem in the past.

As McLion says "It does not zoom over 100%"

So I think there is only one solution (or maybe two )  for your images that were  "scanned in at 579x833. Another is 452x714"

1) Create an Export Preset that resizes to w1920 x h1080, with the option [Add to this Catalog],

2) Select all the 'undersize' files and use the export preset to create new larger files,

3) Use the larger files in the slideshow.

You will possibly see some apparent loss of sharpness, but any method that enlarges these scans will do exactly the same.

The other option, and possibly the best is to re-scan the photos at higher scanner dpi (eg. 300dpi) which will create larger pixel sized files (eg. 1158x1666)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks. I think the best idea is to simply do what I’ve been doing which is to export the slideshow slides to separate folder and import them into Photos on the Mac. It’s much simpler, and Doesn’t require me to rescan hundreds of photographs to accomplish relatively simple thing. I will leave this unanswered for a couple of days and see if anybody else has a better idea but I appreciate your help on that. It’s extremely disappointing that Adobe does not see the creation of slideshows as a professional product, since so many of us produce shows for family and other events. The majority of these photos that I’ve scanned in are unlikely to ever be used again, and just a need for the funeral or other event. So it’s not really worth it spending a lot of time to redo things that I’ve already done  just to satisfy lightrooms inability to handle the task .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The method you use for the slideshow is, of course, your choice, but-

I am pretty sure that doing the steps 1) 2) 3) as above will be much the same as exporting and importing to Mac Photos.

It is easier and simpler than the instructions look! And you keep it all in the Lightroom Catalog system.

The 'full screen' images will be no better in the Photos App as they too will have to resize up from the scans unless you export with re-size up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO, scanning slides (or negatives) at such a low resolution is the wrong way to go in the first place.

The scanning process is the one that defines the later quality of a scanned image. I'm not only talking about resolution but also very much about black and white point for instance - even if this is not the topic here. I've learned my lesson and now am using Silverfast for decent results - you can't fix all of that later with satisfying results.

I can't see the idea of scanning at low resolution. Low resolution copies can always be generated as needed from a good scan later.

Slides are scaled down. To have a scanned slide later print in decent quality even in a small format like 10x15 cm you already need about 1000x1500 pixels. This would need a (scaled down) slide to be scanned with more than 400dpi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood all you say, I also use Silverfast for my professional scans. 150dpi has been fine for many years of scans. Of course I could scan higher. I'll give it a try but I think the point is fairly clear. The Preview function works in Slideshow mode but the show is not enlarged as the preview function shows. To me, that seems like a bug. that the slide show doesn't perform as expected is quite disappointing, since a simple free app included with the Mac does what this expensive program doesn't. Odd!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We would have to ask Adobe to find out if it is a bug or 'by design'.

I think both are possible - it's very well possible to limit at 100% to not have to upscale due to quality reasons. On the other hand, up-scaling in export is allowed and can be enabled/disabled, so why is it missing in slide module ... I simply don't know.

I'll try to get some information from Adobe and post back the results ... if any

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a long-standing bug in SLIDESHOW where the zoom function doesn’t work on smaller photos so they don’t fill the screen as do the larger photos. Thus the slideshow function is essentially useless and I have to use FCP to make slideshows in which every photo does fill the screen. Is there a better work-around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The slideshow is limited to the pixel an image really has - an image will not be zoomed/enlarged.

You may try to export images with small pixel count and have the export set to upscale and have these images reimported.

Then use these 'upscaled' images in the slideshow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. But if LRC can upscale during the export process, why isn’t there an option to do this during the production of a slideshow? The code is already built in.

Darrall Cuttingrdcutting@optusnet.com.au

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may add your voice here: Lightroom: Slide Show: Enlarging images when rendering JPGs (new feature) | Photoshop Family Custome...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am putting together a slideshow that includes some very old and small images plus more modern ones. I have exported all the images as JPEG and resize so they are all about 1500x1000 pixels. I was therefore expecting the slideshow to show them roughly the same size. However on preview the older images are still a lot small as they were before i resized. .  The zoom to fit doesn't affect these images but does mess up some of the others

Any clues how to make them appear similar size please?

Thanks

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the enlarged jpgs to see if they actually are resized as you expected? You can check in metadata. Why do you have to export the images? You could crop virtual copies in Lightroom. What version Lightroom are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a donkey. I was still selecting the original images not the exported ones!!!! Helps if one is not stupid

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To anyone seeing my above post - please disregard my "crop in Lightroom" advice. See following pages: Lightroom won't blow-up slides greater than 100%  see this page: how to enlarge images for slideshow mode and Re: cannot make slideshow full frame on my monitor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with al_bergstein, if you choose "Zoom" then Lightroom should automatically do what WobertC kindly suggested we do manually. It would be nice if Lightroom's slideshow function could upscale images automatically.

Why not add a feature right below Zoom where you can choose the upscale algorithm like "nearest neighbor", "bi-linear" or "automatic" aso in a drop-down menu?

Not every slideshow needs to be pixel perfect. Many users just need a quick slideshow for weddings, birthday parties, jubilees aso, were old and not so high-res images are not of such a major concern.

Nevertheless, thank you WobertC for suggesting a workaround. 

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We would have to ask Adobe to find out if it is a bug or 'by design'.

It's by design. It's been asked before. This is especially problematic on very high resolution displays such as the iMac 5K the poster is using. It will not scale beyond 1:1 per pixel for the slideshow which in this case will be tiny. The same problem applies to low resolution video included in slideshows.

That said, the slideshow module in Lightroom is not very good to start with with generally poor definition and hokey transitions. You're better off using MacOS' built-in Photos for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is also a long-standing bug in SLIDESHOW where the zoom function doesn’t work on smaller photos so they don’t fill the screen as do the larger photos. Thus the slideshow function is essentially useless.

I realise the slideshow seems to be limited to the pixels an image really has - an image will not be zoomed/enlarged. I could export images with small pixel count and have the export set to upscale and have these images reimported. Then use these 'upscaled' images in the slideshow, a real hassle.

But if LRC can upscale during the export process, why isn’t there an option to do this during the production of a slideshow? The code is already built in.

Votes

Translate

Translate