• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please add face recognition to Lightroom (ability to specify region metadata)

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2011 Apr 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you plan to implement a face recognition defined by keywords in Lightroom someday ?

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 121 Replies 121
121 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2013 Dec 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey Adobe, could you please provide us out of the box facial recognition, this is a must have feature for LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Face recognition will probably be in Lr6 (Adobe has definitely been working on it) - but don't quote me ;-}.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will definitely never purchase an upgrade if will not include facial recognition

Stefano

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since adobe seem to be working on the feature, just a short note to be sure that they handle all cases:
I have recently had (for the second time) a problem with 2 persons having the exact same name (family name and first name identical)
If I use keyword for persons name, I can only create 1 keyword. Which means that when I filter the photo by this keyword, I will find both persons, which is not what I want. I would like to be able to create 2 times the same keyword.
But I am OK if it is not possible with keyword.
However, when we will be able to tag faces, I really hope we can create 2 or more face tag with the exact same names( but representing different people)
This is possible in PICASA
regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 27, 2014 Feb 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note 2
we should also be able (or the software should be able to do it automatically) disable a face for the training data (training the computer to recognize other faces of the same person).
Indeed I should be able to select a face taken in very bad conditions where, I only, can know it is a face. for example some portraits in very contrasted light, where you may only guess silhouettes,... or even the back of someone head, or some head half or fully hidden by some objects,...or worse part of the body that is not a face because the face happens to be hidden but I still want to remember who was the photographed person (ok that is not intended to be used like this but I am sure some including me will)
And finally we should be able to move/resize the region. I hate it when PICASA recognize someone, but the region it draws is so big that it includes other smaller faces in. These faces cannot be tagged afterwards, since they are part of an already tagged region!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2014 Apr 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import a batch of photos, I will go through each one and tag names as keywords of individuals present in each. I have smart collections built to each person's name. So then if I want to find and pull up all the photos of a particular person, I simply open their collection. At the same time, I also tag events and sometimes even objects. For example, my dad's birthday I will tag with:

Year, Birthday Dad, Dad's Name

Thereby I can pull up specifically his photos, or photos of the event. This allows me to keep my photos organized in folders by date, but still have individual events tagged, and individual people.

I also have a lot of photos of my sister's twin babies. All babies already look identical, it's even harder when they're actually identical. I would like to be able to use a location tag, and tag each individual twin with their proper name so that 20 years from now I can go back and confidently say who is who.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2014 Apr 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene;

I understand how keywords and tags could work, but...keywords do not help when there are already thousands of photos without tags in the application database. Face recognition would be a fantastic tool for making the first cut at sorting the archive, and then additionaly applying names and keywords.

Kent Green

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2014 Aug 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have approaching 20K photos in Photoshop Elements. I've face tagged many of this pictures because it allows me to identify individuals in group shots. In some cases, I've taken my computers to family events and gotten assistance from older relatives in identifying people in early 20th century pictures. I'd love to upgrade to Lightroom but will not walk away from face tagging as it is a critical part of my photo archiving activity. Changing to Lightroom is a non-starter until it can preserve all PSE metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is more a vote-for than a new idea I guess. I'd really like to see this feature in Lightroom. Good examples are products such as iPhoto or Google Picasa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2014 Oct 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the very least, at least add the ability to show embedded XMP-MP data (which I believe Adobe jointly developed with Microsoft for person metadata in photos...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there are 2 issues here:
1) image region metadata- implement this immediately. You (Adobe) decided on a standard in Nov 2010. It's useful for tagging people (Grampa, Grampa's brother Chuck), items (Grampa's childhood tricycle) and location information that isn't obvious from GPS data (the house Grampa grew up in).

We as a society are taking, editing, sharing, archiving, whatever-ing photos at an astonishing rate. If we want all these pictures to be anything other than digital garbage to peers and future generations, we need to identify what we're taking pictures of in ways that our audience (family, friends, clients, students, historians, colleagues, etc) can use.

If I were Adobe, I wouldn't let an employee write code for any other feature until this was implemented. The standards and framework have been in place for years. JUST DO IT.

2) facial recognition- the holy grail of image region metadata is, I'm sure, for it to intelligently tag itself with relevant information. Users shouldn't have to manually identify Grampa, the software should just identify Grampa automatically. That's a great idea but it's a bonus that makes image region metadata quicker and easier to apply. I'm sure Adobe is working on this and I'm sure they want it to be excellent but in the mean time PLEASE give me the ability to tag faces manually while you work on how to do it automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2014 Nov 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love both of these ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RIGHT! My Nikon D4 already has found faces in my shots. It's there. LR just has to read it. Then LR could let me 1:1 zoom on each face in the shot for quick inspection. That's all I want, Adobe.
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I do (in keywords, not region metadata tags) is to create two separate keywords for the people with the same name. For example, one keyword would be "Wagner - John (born 1855)" and another keyword would be "Wagner - John (born 1880)". I would like to do the same in region metadata tags once they are implemented in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm certainly hoping that Adobe implements region metadata tagging soon in LR. That said, they haven't fixed a problem in DW that I reported nearly two years ago, that worked quite fine for my many HTML files for dozens of years previously with lotsa tables that I readily edited with DW. In the past year, every time I try to edit an HTML file with a large table, DW becomes nonresponsive, on the fastest Mac that exists and with the most memory, when I try to edit HTML files in DW with lotsa tables. Again, I reported the problem over a year ago. Adobe responded saying that the problem was with OS X (Mavericks at the time, though I have upgraded to Yosemite the latest.) I'm no longer using DW for this. I am now converting my large tables to a MySQL database with PHP queries. That should not be necessary. I don't even need DW for my new regime. Sadly, I say. My HTML and so forth that worked really well for a dozen years can no longer be edited by DW; DW slows down so much to be unusable. And now it doesn't work at all. This is a reverse of Moore's Law. The more I want my solution to work, the less it does. Hence, my need to abandon the solutions (Adobe Dreamweaver and tables) that worked so well for me for a dozen years, but no longer. I have an entire website that has worked seamlessly with old-style tables that DW now just simply sends my high-end Mac into a catatonic state. As noted, I have relied on DW to prepare and support this site for a dozen or so years. However, DW no longer has any value to me. DW freezes when I try to edit an HTML file with a table of several hundred items, and hence is unusable. I could say more but I would be wasting my time. And Adobe has not been responsive to me. I have paid to the hilt to Adobe for CC in the past couple of years, and yet on this DW front it has been totally unusable to me since DW in unable to edit even the most basic HTML files with tables that I have been very successful and happily editing over many years. Sorry for the diatribe, but Adobe has not recognized the problem here.

- Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. We need the ability to recognize faces in Lightroom or at least bring face tags over from Photoshop Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2014 Dec 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It increases the long-term value of every picture you take if you can identify things that may be forgotten in the future.

In this picture, who are the 2 players making the tackle? You can't see the names or numbers on their jerseys. But maybe one of those players is gonna get picked in the first round of the draft this year, making this picture desirable to news outlets. There are tons of situations, both professional and personal, in which image region metadata makes a picture more valuable (either financially or emotionally). Just because it doesn't benefit the kind of work you do doesn't mean it isn't valuable to other professional photographers.

http://www.indystar.com/picture-galle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2015 Feb 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

There have been a lot of talk about a face recognition option under the Abobe umbrella.
It looks that all request don't have a proper answer or solution besides an external plug-in for lightroom.
With that in mind, and looking to enhance the utility of Adobe applications I would like to know the reasons for ignoring those demands. Maybe is a technical or license problem, or maybe it have not yet catch the attention of Adobe, or it's a secret to be revealed in the future.
In any case someone has to come up with a proper explanation. It doesn't matter the in which direction it will come, but I, has a long time customer, deserve the right to know if this viable or not to Adobe.
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Feb 28, 2015 Feb 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Facial recogniction would be a very valuable addition to lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2015 Mar 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Region tagging and face recognition are both in Photoshop Elements. PSE's management of tags is lacking as I've written about elsewhere in this forum but the region tagging works pretty well and recognition too. It's inexplicable to me that LR hasn't done this yet. Time to beef of the LR development effort and provide a smooth path from PSE if Adobe wants to grow its customer base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I have both Elements with face recognition and Lightroom 5 which I guess does not have it. Does anyone know if I tag faces in Elements first is there any way to update that data to Lightroom if I am referring to images that were previously imported?
For example if I exported a large group of images from Lightroom, then imported them into Elements, used facial recognition and then imported them back into Lightroom, would Lightroom catchup or just create a bunch of duplicates.

Votes

Translate

Translate