P: Should be able to Sync full raw files to the cloud, not just smart previews

154 Votes
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic, like Lightroom CC (what a confusion this naming causes!) should be able to upload full raw files to the cloud and not just smart previews. This is clearly a missing feature. This is especially handy if you mainly use Lightroom Classic because of its much more powerful editing and ability to actually print but would love to edit the full image from other machines.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
81 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Johan_Elzenga Thanks - better to know the facts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I was trying to explain my wife how syncing of Lightroom Classic ans Lightroom mobile works, I (again) realized that syncing is NOT a well designed nor a well programmed feature.

Lightroom - Lightroom and Lightroom Classic Eco System.jpg

And again, I realized that the missing feature is to be able to sync the Lightroom classic catalogue. This would instantly enable:

- work with the Photos on multiple computers (home, on the road, even modile phone)

- easily share full res images (the current limitation to the "smart previews" is terrible). Currently, only an export to a seperate cloud service works, which is again creating inconsistency and does not enable contributing by others.

- sort and develop photos jointly

Maybe, the backward compatibility gets lost, but that has happened before, so that is not an argument against developing such a syncing feature. Also, it is software, so there is no technical reason against it, since Adobe has proven the feasibility with the Lightroom ecosystem.

So, please "simply" add the same sync feature to Lightroom classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sure many have asked for this before, but I couldn't find any ideas I could vote for. My biggest wish is to have all my original files available everywhere, without having to connect an external HD to my computer. Unfortunately, the LR CC is not relevant to me until it has the same features as LR Classic.

So I wish LR Classic also had the ability to store original files in the cloud. It should be optional of course, and you should be able to choose which files you wanted to store in the cloud and which to store locally.

I would gladly pay a higher subscription price to have this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes some simple switches that can also be used on mutliple files like:
"replace smartpreview with orignal"
"replace smartpreview with lossy compressed original"
"replace original with smartpreview" (to be able to clear cloud space again if needed)

Would make life and cloud backup so much easier.
At the moment classic is creating another local copy if you push your oringal into the cloud and you end up with the same file twice on your drive (do that with a 2TB collection).
Or you are forced to use LR cloud desktop that still spams your C: drive and genrally also uses up a lot of diskspace you don't care since you are using LR classic and just need this to organize cloud backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That phone sync to lr classic actually can work. You just need to have a shared autoimport on LR mobile and those file then sync to LR classic into the download folder you set in the sycn settings.

After that you can move it in your desired folder but you have to manually delete the orignal from the phone if you want to free up space, and reshare it manually as a smartpreview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Of course that would also need some adjustment in LR mobile for the "story files locally" setting, it would also need a "store smartpreviews locally" and "store originals locally" switch, wouldn't want the phone to suddenly need to download 2TB, especially without working background sync on Android.

Votes

Translate

Translate