• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Sort folders in ascending or descending order

LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would like to see ability to sort folders in ascending or descending order just like the images.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
33 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2013 Apr 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not alone George.
It seems such and obvious function.
Whenever LR adds another folder, say after an import, in Library module it appears at the bottom. Provide a reverse sort order and the new folders will always appear at the top.
Doesn't take a genius to work which would be more useful for day to day usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2016 Sep 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what? 4 years ago and nothing happened :'( 

I would like to see an option to change the sort-order of the "Folders" per Drive.
Why?

I have for example two drives in that Folder-Panel. The first is my local drive, the second is my NAS
Workflow is: 
a) Import Files local, edit them, export them.
b) Job finished? Drag-and-Drop them to the NAS. For this i select the Folder of that Day (or that Month) and drag it to the NAS-Drive.

Now imagine you took photos since 2001 that are in your LR catalogue. The List is getting so long, that an easy drag-and-drop isn't possible (without scrolling you wont's see the newest folder on the NAS)

If i could reverse the sorting-order of folders on that NAS, my drop-destination would be almost always on top of the Drive's folder-list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2016 Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The list of folders in the left hand pane of elements organizer are sorted alphanumerically.

If I had two folders named (2012 holiday, 2011 holiday, 2010 holiday), they get listed as follows:
2010 holiday
2011 holiday
2012 holiday

I would like to be able to reverse the sort order so that the list would be as follows:
2012 holiday
2011 holiday
2010 holiday

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2016 Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LightRoom I am using a dated folder structure with subfolders for each year. Because I am also using LR to organize and edit old family photos, my folders go way back to the early 1900's.LR arranges them from oldest first to newest last, but I would prefer them to be the opposite-- newest first to oldest last. Is there a way to reverse LR's chronological order?... if not, Could LR add an option to enable switching the sort order of the Folders panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the YYYY-MM-DD format for folders in import. Thatmeans, I get in the library module in the folder panel the first folder oft he yearon top and the actual folder below. As the year goes by, the today folder isthe last one and vanishes outside the window. Why isn ́t there a possibility tosort these folders in a reverse order: the actual date on top, the oldest onbottom. LR has this function in the gridview: you can sort picture „A-Z“ od „Z-A“.Why not in folders ? It ́s boring at the end of a year to scroll down and downto find the newly imported pictures. What do you think ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently been thinking the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OS have this capability, but not Lightroom. I used to have the same folder structure as you, but got tired of the long list of folders in Library. With the date format YYYY-MM-DD you will have a very long list of rows in Library, on subfolder for each date. If you change to YYYY/MM/DD, your list of rows can be reduced to 1 row per year, 1 row per month. Days will be subfolders in each month and months are subfolders in the year folder, like this; 2018/07/20. You can collapse or expand the folder tree as you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a photo of parts of my Library folders structure Bildemapper is my Root folder/main destination folder (TO in import window). The sub folders are handled by Lightroom import > Destination panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the YYYY/MM/DD structure but even then, with year folders going back to 2002, there is a good deal of scrolling and collapsing/expanding needed to move through them.

Some possible options the developers might consider adding.
  1. A reverse sorting option for folders
  2. A Favourites panel that would allow only folders marked as favourites to be included
  3. An ability to pin folders and filter by All/Pinned/Unpinned

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saying this about Folders, I will also say I like most to work with collections. Then, if I need to go to the folder of one photo, I just right click and chose Go to folder in Library. It is safer to work with Collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wilford,

I've converted this to a feature request. Those who would like to see a reverse sort order in the Folders panel can add their votes by clicking the button at the top right. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🙂 the reverse sorgt will extend this Feature on to 200%. For those who like the existing "sort" have no disadvantage, stay 100% satisfied. The other will be 100% happy. It's a win-win-situation. And the program code should not be too difficult. 🙂 Regards Wilfried (not Wilford) Sorry for my German school English

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have to import before making a collection ? So a reverse sort would also help..... Regards Wilfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the same, using the YYYY-MM-DD format. Yours seems to be better. Thanks. Wilfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if this feature also included not just sorting reversal for name, but also for date, and size. For example like in the Mac Finder list view, clicking 'Name' once to sort A-Z and Z-A, or 'Date' to sort A-Z and Z-A, and 'Size' (which would be nice to know total folder size (either total images, or total image files size) A-Z and Z-A. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That ould be great ! Wilfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, with Collection, but Smart Collections are updated as you import, depending on keywords and other rules in your Smart Collections and photographs. I love Smart Collections. Hope we get the Folders sort order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would this community support request to enhance LR folder view to be sorted in descending order? I believe, that quite common practice to organize folders is to use the date (e.g. YYYYmm...) in the begining of folder name. The only problem with it, LR puts the latest folders at the end of the list (since it always sorts in ascending order) and you have to scroll down the whole list to get there.

Adobe, please, implement that small, but useful feature!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked for this 7 years ago as you can see it was ignored. Adobe only really uses ideas from professional photographers who Adobe considers to be industry influencers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, on your merged topic there was a question about which version of Lightroom this applies to. I can also add that it applies to Lightroom CC Desktop version as well (and to web version too btw). Not just the Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 9.1 Folder sort in reverse order

Could this be implemented for Lightroom Classic version 20 - my future grandson would be happy when he will start with Lightroom in the year 2035

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a workaround to this problem? How do others manage their photos? I was forced to migrate from Picasa to Lightroom 6 stand alone (last available version) and my images go back decades so any time I want to access recent images I am forced to scroll for an extremely long way to find them as all the folders are by date as I had them in Picasa and the newest dates were at the top.  Now it is very painful. Is there a better workflow in Lightroom to access newer folders first in navigator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find this a problem also but have created folders for each decade with individual years inside them. This reduces the amount of scrolling needed to get to recent dates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR sucks!.....im writing a new app like LR with all the features we need, and it will be FREEWARE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom Classic 10.1 on a Mac. This is probably an easy question, but can the folder list on the left be changed to show folders in Descending Order? I sort my photos in 12 folders per year (YYYY / YYYY-MM) . Omitting many folders for brevity, my hierarchy is currently displayed as

• Master Photo Storage
    • ....[etc]...
      • 2019-01
      • 2019-02
      • 2019-12
      • 2020-10
      • 2020-11
      • 2020-12

I would like it to display as

• Master Photo Storage
      • 2020-12
      • 2020-11