• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support cataloging PSB files

Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2011 Aug 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom should catalog psb files, just as it does psd files. I have many psb files that are not over the 65,000 pixels per side or 512 megapixel limits, but are larger than the 4GB limit on psd files, and it would be nice to see them in Lightroom.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020
Updates to Lightroom Classic, were released yesterday and contain initial support for PSB files.   Please install the appropriate update. You can read more about the updates here.

Note: Lightroom pixel-dimension maximums (65,000 Pixels long edge or 512 MP - whichever comes first) continue to be a limitation but the team is looking into expanding this range in a future enhancement for the PSB file support. 

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback.
We are working on making these improvements for future releases of Adobe Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 267 Replies 267
267 Comments
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since 512 megapixels * 8 bytes per pixel = 4GB, doesn't this mean you have large PSB files that are also layered?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, if you flatten and save as a tiff, they show up in LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LJ

I save the psb as a final tiff, which goes in my finished tiff folder. The psb is deep in my edited images folder structure. I link the two using the Title field (which is, I understand, the recommended practice for using xmp metadata to link various versions of the same file).

So I intended that if I needed to revisit an image, I would look in the final folder in LR, then search on the Title in LR, and find the original scan + all the intermediate versions + the final tiff + any resized tiffs, all nicely cataloged for me. Obv., this won't work as I was hoping it would, so I'll have to come up with a work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, BTW, these Tiffs are 6 bytes per pixel, about 80 megapixels (4 x 5 images scanned at 2,000 dpi). When you get to 8 or 10 layers + masks you start to push up against the 4 GB limit, and when you have 20, you need to switch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it.

As an aside, a possibly-simple workaround would be to place them into the same folder as the TIFF with the same file name. Then, when you want to find the PSB, you just use show in explorer/finder.

Yeah, I know, that's not the organization you have set up and the ability to catalog them would be better. As such, have you looked at the "anyfile" plugin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lee or Lee Jay

(I"m confused if you have a double-barreled first name, or a first + last as your moniker here)

That recommendation for anyfile may be solution to many of problems. Thanks!

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 03, 2011 Dec 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or at least let you see thumbnails for them (like video support)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Lightroom since version 1.2. My main use of the application is to create web galleries to show to my clients as well as for exporting my final Photoshop documents as Tiffs and Jpegs. I recently tried importing PSB files and disappointed that Lightroom 3.6 does not import these. It's important to my workflow and from various forum, find that it would be a welcome addition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the Any File plugin will not show thumbnails of PSB files on Mac, and it will only show the thumbnails on Windows if you get a third-party codec (e.g. Ardfry's). I'm not aware of a third-party Quicklook plugin for PSB on Mac.

Unlike other application developers, Adobe refuses to provide the necessary thumbnail plugins for PSD and PSB files on Mac and Windows and PDF files on 64-bit Windows. (Apple has implemented Quicklook thumbnails for PSD files but not PSB files.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to put in my request to add PSB support as well. I do a lot of stitching of images, then combining of exposures and frequently exceed the limits of TIFF and PSD. Kudos to Adobe for adding support for 32 bit HDR TIFF images recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great to add .PSB support to lightroom! Personally I find LR amazingly useful for cateloging my working files as well as my RAW files and sometimes I am called upon to use .PSBs because I've exceeded the limit on .PSD. It would be extremely helpful to be able to incorporate my large photoshop files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tried to import a .psb file into Lightroom to make some global adjustments and I am totally disgusted to find out that even the latest version of LR doesn't support their own file format! What is wrong with the people at Adobe? This is a file format that is increasingly being used by photographers working with large panoramic images produced by cameras with high-res sensors so this needs to be supported by LR. It is a no-brainer... Get it sorted Adobe quickly!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe development team.
In the last months, i more and more make gigapanoramas, that are stitched together from several hundred up to thousands of single fotos.

This will give pictures of many many gigapixel. And file sizes of 2 GB or much more.

One recent gigapano i have done is made of 200 jpeg files from Canon 5DM2, and due to overlapping the resulting file size is 110824 x 16263 pixel, 1.8 gigapixel, and 13,4 GB filesize. A .psb file.

As i remember, .psb is a format owned by Adobe. So i don ́t understand why this is not supported by Lightroom, a software that is dedicated to lossless manipulating pictures.

Yes, of course the stitching sofwate can render cropped files. But rendering gigapanos takes a long time. The example picture above takes approximately 8 hours to render.

So it would be a great help and time saver if there were a software that can crop gigapanos in much less than 8 hours.

Thank you!

greetings from germany
Christian Stüben

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also finding more and more of my final images going beyond the 4gb Tiff/LR4 limit. It is time for Adobe to bring LR up to speed to handle todays photographic possibilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2014 Jul 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Nikon D800 and have many, many processed multi-layered files saved a .psb.......many are panos or HDRs. I am shocked to discover that the LR catalog cannot handle these files!

This is an Adobe file format, for crying out loud!!!! This weakness should have been fixed a long time ago!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jul 26, 2014 Jul 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

three years, 22 likes, no response from Adobe. Do you think that they are listening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2014 Aug 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add the ability for Lightroom to read and catalog .PSB files. It is very surprising that Lightroom cannot support this format which is essentially a PSD with a greater file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that Adobe is only interested in shoving CC down our throats....but NOT interested in fixing basic limitations in their software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I thought the idea of CC was constant updates, but wow didn't know that this ask goes back 3 years! Bridge has support for .PSB, why is it not in adobe flagship workflow product (Lightroom) which they are trying to push to all the existing aperture users. Adobe, please give this a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet another plea for Lightroom to support PSB files. As well as Lightroom having the just being able to 'read' and 'catalog' PSB files I would also like the option to 'edit in Photoshop' with PSB.

It is pretty boring to start in PSD and then get told my file size is too big and having to switch to PSD. I really cant see any disadvantage of starting in PSB to begin with

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A follow-up and partial solution for this three-year-old discussion: My Any File Lightroom plugin lets you catalog virtually any file type in your LR catalog, as long as Finder (Mac) or Explorer (Windows) can display thumbnails for that file type. On Windows, you can use a third-party plugin from Ardfry Imaging to get PSB thumbnails. But on Mac, Adobe and Apple have long refused to implement PSB thumbnails for the Finder, even though it is pretty easy technically. So there wasn't any practical way to catalog PSBs with LR/Any File.

After complaints from a number of Any File users, I finally got around to implementing a Mac Quick Look plugin that provides PSB thumbnails and previews for the Finder (and thus Any File / Lightroom). The plugin handles both PSBs and PSDs, and compared to the default Mac previews, it is up to ten time faster on very large PSDs. The plugin also shows low-quality previews and thumbnails for files saved without the Maximize Compatibility option (as compared to the default Mac previews, which are blank).

The plugin is currently in beta, and you can try it for free:

http://www.johnrellis.com/photoshop/p...

I'm not an expert Mac programmer, so the plugin very possibly has bugs at this stage. (I'd greatly prefer that Adobe or Apple, who do have expert programmers, provide this functionality.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add support for PSB,.. my catalog is incomplete now!
it's a pain to go into the finder everytime,.. also it makes you forget that the file was there. I don't care if it's non editable but just to see it would be a great help!

thanks,
Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also, if you make them it seems very silly to not support them

Votes

Translate