• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: User-selectable location of LrClassicLogs file

LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, a folder titled "LrClassicLogs" has appeared in my Documents folder on my
Mac. I use my Documents folder for personal documents only, and would like to store the LrClassicLogs file in a less-obtrusive location.

Can a feature be added to LR Classic to allow for a user-selectable location (similar to how LR classic allows for the catalog file)?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
43 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have No such Folder anywhere on my system let alone in the Documents folder.
I also do NOT have any files, Log File, that start with Lr or Lightroom.
So what is in that folder that you have?

Just Delete it if it bothers you that much

What type of computer are you using, Mac/Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's there on a Mac. That folder is probably in Documents because it may contain a log that Adobe could request in case the user reports problems. The average user may not know how to find logs hidden in the Library folder. No big deal for me, but the catalog folder would seem to be a more logical place
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also do not have that folder on my iMac running 10.13.x and the newest version of LR.
Did you at sometime generate a diagnostic Log from the LR sync tab by holding down the Alt key (Windows) or Opt/Alt key (Mac OS X)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After actually opening LR Classic 9 on my Mac, and allowing it to upgrade the catalog which I hadn't done before, I then got that folder in my Mac OS X Documents folder. Macintosh HD/Users/ MyUserName/Documents.
There were No files in that folder. So I just deleted it.
This does not happen on my Windows 10 system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you start Lightroom, it will recreate that folder. At least it just did when I tried.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is what happened on my Mac.
Bit that folder is Not created on a Windows system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it is, but someplace else.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Searched my whole system for that folder and nothing came up. I've been using LR 9 since the day it came out. I've even generated a diagnostic log and didn't get that folder on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Adobe decided to do this on MacOS only, because the logical location for a log file would be in the user/Library folder. But as that folder is hidden by default, that may only create an extra problem they didn't want to have to deal with.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JB,

It seems that you might have enabled logging for Lr Classic some time in the past. Can you share your system info from 'Help->System Info' menu option to help us detect if any logger is enabled on you machine?

-Satish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a config file @ ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/config.lua? Could you please check if the same has any loggers enabled? If you remove them from the config file, the LrClassicLogs folder should not get created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never enabled Logging on my Mac or Windows system for LR, Ever.
That folder still is there with V9 on my iMac.
Only appeared with the install and first running and converting of a V8 catalog of LR Classic V9. Wasn't there before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No such config file on my iMac and that folder is still being created (No logging enabled either).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did have an old config.lua file, but trashing that does not stop Lightroom creating the folder again when I delete it. Help - System Info says 'Config.lua flags: None'
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked the above path and have no config.lua file.  My Help-System Info also shows 'Config.lua flags: None'

It seems to me that tweaking Lightroom to put the LrClassicLogs file in a "Logs" folder within ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/ would not result in too much user confusion.  Most people could find that easily...

At a minimum, an option to put the LrClassicLogs file in a user-selectable place would be very helpful for those of us want to keep the file out-of-the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also getting this folder whenever I run Lightroom Classic.
This is really annoying and I wish Adobe would stop writing useless folders and files in the User's Documents folder. This behavior is incorrect. The folder is for users to use not applications. Library/Application support is a much more adapt place for all of these folders that Adobe apps insist on creating. 

Respect your users more, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree - it seems like a no brainer to put the LrClassicLogs folder in Library/Application Support or, at a minimum, to allow the user to select where to put it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - Mac running Catalina with the new Lightroom Classic 9.1.  Creates the file on startup of Lightroom.  I have never turned on logging, and I do not have the file config.lua either.  Hope an option becomes available to move this folder or to simply not create it when there is nothing to place in the folder.  Mine has never had anything inside the folder.  No logs - no folder maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has a history of putting behind-the-scenes files in user folders where they absolutely don't belong.*  It's very unlikely they'll change this behavior.

If you really dislike it, open the Terminal program and copy & paste the following entire line into Terminal:

chflags hidden ~/Documents/LrClassicLogs

Then hit enter.  Poof!  The LrClassicLogs folder will be instantly hidden from view in the Finder, but still there, doing nothing useful.  You can quit Terminal now.

Thanks Adobe!

* in addition to LrClassicLogs, I also have the following items in ~/Documents:

~/Documents/Adobe
~/Documents/Adobe/Photoshop Cloud Associates
~/Documents/Adobe/amecommand
~/Documents/Adobe/amecommand/6.0
~/Documents/Adobe/dynamiclinkmediaserver
~/Documents/Adobe/dynamiclinkmediaserver/7.0
~/Documents/Adobe/dynamiclinkmediaserver/10.0
~/Documents/Adobe/dynamiclinkmediaserver/12.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea!  This will tide us over until/if they eventually allow us to move it.

Kudos!  Happy New Year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use my Documents folder (Mac) for my content and all other apps use other locations to store their data.

How do i stop LightRoomClassic from creating a LrClassicLogs folder in my Documents folder?

Seriously! Are they trying to irritate us out of Classic and onto their new version of LightRoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the Lightroom Classic forum from Get Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any files in that folder? From my testing there aren't and this only happens on a Mac, not on a Win PC.

I suggest you visit the link posted above, voice your concern, then forget about it. There are more important thing is your life to concern yourself with than that LR folder, with or without files in it, in your Documents folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe really don't care about users' own space (Document's folder on a Mac).
It's inspired me to explore other Apps - might be worth the pain of moving.

Votes

Translate

Translate