• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ACR 12.3 Runs VERY SLOW when editing a RAW file From PhotoShop

Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE TO MY PREVIOUS POST: I eliminated Lightroom Classic from the workflow. This issue is now in PhotoShop thread Here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/adobe-camera-raw-12-3-very-slow/m-p/11341394#M353406

When I open a Nikon NEF file directly from PhotoShop I get the same poor performance of ACR processing. This problem is now isolated to just PhotoShop and ACR. It is taking up to 6 seconds to get a brush cursor in ACR after selecting the Adjustment Brush tool. It now takes over 60 seconds to turn on and off Adjustment Brush masking. Moving the Exposure adjustment slider takes 12 seconds to see the results. 

My system:

• Photoshop version 21.2.1
  • ACR 12.3
  • Nikon NEF files
  • Windows 10 Pro, version 1909 64 bit
  • Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.6GHz
  • 32GB of memory
  • GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GPU
  • NVIDIA Studio Driver Version 451.77 released 7/16/20
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are creating a Smart object using Photoshop, then why are you using the Camera Raw filter instead of Camera Raw? If you're just using the filter there isn't much sense in creating the Smart object. Even though you have taken the time to create the Smart object, the Camera Raw filter won't give you access to the raw data like double-clicking on the object in the layers panel will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response Jim. I am new to this workflow. I normally just use LRC to do my raw file editing but I thought I would try a workflow method recommended by Aaron Nace.  Anyway, once in PS I create a smart object but when I double click on it in the layers panel I get a new editing panel that is just PhotoShop's editing panel not ACR editing panel. Is this correct? I guess  I need to figure out what I am doing with smart objects.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LrC, in Preferences, in External Editing, what are your settings for Edit in Photoshop? One issue being file type. And very important, any compression selected.

a screenshot would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response David. My LRC External Editing preferences are as follows: TIFF file, ProPhotoRGB color space, 16bits @ 240PPI. I get the same results using both a compressed and uncompressed TIFF file.

My system:

Windows 10 Pro, version 1909 64 bit

Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.6GHz

32GB of memory

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GPU

NVIDIA Studio Driver Version 451.77 released 7/16/20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware, starting at v9.3 (or was it 9.2) selecting to compress the TIFF actual does such, before, it did not really accomplish that. Resultant TIFF sent over to PS will then take longer, sometimes much longer tp load

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another inquiry. 

You are working with RAW, yes

Both the Camera RAW internal to LrC and the Adobe Camera RAW plugin used by PS are the same version?

So, you are seeing Adobe Camera RAW launch when PS opens that photo you sent to it from LrC (as in edit in photoshop)

That last question puzzles me, Why would ACR show up? RAW conversion already accomplished in LrC, So, if so, why ACR popping up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I am reading this all wrong.

Have you posted separately your issue at the Photoshop community page? If so, link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes David, I removed Lightroom from my workflow and I am now opening a Raw file directly from PhotoShop.  I am experiencing the same issues in slow processing with ACR so Lightroom handoff has nothing to do with the problem. I moved the discussion to the PhotoShop thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, one of the options in Lightroom "Edit In" is to launch PS is to "Open as a Smart Object". If you do this with a RAW file ACR automatically starts so you can edit it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That isn't the way it works on my computer. If I choose to open a raw file from Lightroom as a smart object then it will open into the Photoshop editing screen "normally". In the layers panel the little icon (not that lettering) indicates that this is an object, and if I double-click on that icon then Camera Raw will open. This isn't the Camera Raw filter, but rather Camera Raw and gives me access to the raw data in my file. So I can move back and forth between the converted RGB data in Photoshop and the raw data as needed until I'm satisfied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines