• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to convert raw file to tiff?

Engaged ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to convert a raw file to a tiff file and have that tiff file be catalogued in Lightroom. The options I have are:

1. Export to tiff and then import that file into Lightroom

2. Tell Lightroom to edit the file in Photoshop and then just save without doing any edits. That places it in the LR database.

3. Optionally edit the file in another add-in which converts it to tiff and then save which places it in the LR database.

These methods require multiple steps. Is there not a way to simply create a tiff (or jpeg, etc) in one step inside of Lightroom?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Lightroom never modifies master images. They always remain unchanged, in their pristine state as they were when they were downloaded from the camera. When you want to create a tiff image, it's necessary to export a copy of the image including all of the adjustments that were made using Lightroom. You can specify the destination to be the same folder as the original, and you can choose the option in the export dialog to add the new tiff image to the catalog. But there is no way to "convert" a raw

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom never modifies master images. They always remain unchanged, in their pristine state as they were when they were downloaded from the camera. When you want to create a tiff image, it's necessary to export a copy of the image including all of the adjustments that were made using Lightroom. You can specify the destination to be the same folder as the original, and you can choose the option in the export dialog to add the new tiff image to the catalog. But there is no way to "convert" a raw image to a tiff or JPEG image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I missed the option to have the export process add the new image to the catalogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In rereading your response, I realized "convert" was the wrong term to use. I needed to "bake" the reversed tone curve into the image, which is the reason for creating a tiff file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your workflow-

1. Export to tiff and then import that file into Lightroom

2. Tell Lightroom to edit the file in Photoshop and then just save without doing any edits.

From the raw in Lightroom- Why don't you simply 'Edit-In' [Ctrl+E] to open the (raw) image in Photoshop (as TIFF- set in preferences), Invert the curve by an action, [Save] & [Close]. (Hint: even place the Save & Close in the Action!)

Then your workflow would be-

1. [Edit In]

2. Run Action in Photoshop.

This eliminates any 'Export' step, and it automatically adds the TIFF to the Catalog.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is a clean alternative. JimHess's clarification that the export process allows automatically saving tiff back to the original folder (or other folder) and adding to catalog is also a streamlined step. With a preset for the export, I now just have to click export, select the preset, and go. It's done. Thanks for your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[Ctrl+E] is easier than an 'Export' Preset function!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines