Copy settings: Pre-sets for various combinations

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

let's hope I can get my point across. Maybe there's even a solution for my issue and I just don't know.

I'd like to have pre-sets within the "Copy Settings" module. And that's the reason: I use mostly the same settings for alle the color images in a shoot and another set of settings I use for the bnw images. And sometimes I even want the crop (and only the crop) to be the same in a color and the bnw version of an image. (Currently, as I understand, I do have to check all settings and uncheck the ones I don't want to be copied or uncheck all and check the few I want to be copied. That's tidious. s. screenshots)
So, it would come in very handy, to have at least three presets for the "Copy Settings" dialogue.

Suggestions anyone?

Thank you so much for you help!

Michael

(And just to avoid confusion, using the normal "Presets" is not a valid option for me as I don't want to create a preset for any ever so tiny change I want to copy from image to another.)

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Presets or profiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Mentor , Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021
I'm going to suggest a faster way of working inside LrClassic. What you are describing amounts, in effect, to the "bulk" application of changes across groups of images. If your suggestion for Copy/Paste was in place, each bulk editing action would look like make changes to one image do Copy: check or clear the settings you want to copy / select a preset for automating this  highlight target images Paste Simpler, might be if this was added to Sync instead of Copy: make changes to one image highli...

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make my idea more clear, I quickly drew a wireframe of what I'm trying to achieve...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A number of people have requested this feature. Please add your constructive opinion to the feature request:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-presets-for-copypastesync-s... 

and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will consider implementing the feature and you'll be notified when they do.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to suggest a faster way of working inside LrClassic.

What you are describing amounts, in effect, to the "bulk" application of changes across groups of images.

If your suggestion for Copy/Paste was in place, each bulk editing action would look like

• make changes to one image
  • do Copy: check or clear the settings you want to copy / select a preset for automating this 
  • highlight target images
  • Paste

Simpler, might be if this was added to Sync instead of Copy:

• make changes to one image
  • highlight other images that need the same editing
  • Sync: check or clear the settings you want to sync / select a preset for automating this

BUT much simpler still (note this different working order does take some getting used to, since the images need to be highlighted before you crop / move the slider / whatever, not afterwards; also with the power of this comes some risk of unintended mass editing, which just needs some care and caution):

while AutoSync is turned on,

• highlight a group of images
  • make any change you like to the active image: that change immediately happens to the others also

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @richardplondon ! I tried sth like that – and always I came up with my idea originally posted. For me it seems to be the easiest way to handle that. Thanks again and best!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, I struggled a bit in finding the right terms for that: what I want are presets for the parameters, but not for their respective values. That's why any sync-type of solution wouldn't work for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I understood your meaning: you propose having presets to manage which adjustments are to be checked (included), and which settings are to be unchecked (left out), when copying the processing from one image and pasting that onto some others.

This proposal is probably a response to an irritant: that your workflow requires you to keep altering which items are checked within the Copy dialog, and in order to do so you'd have to hold in your head which of the changes you have recently made, are/are not appropriate to copy on to other images. Whether you do this by ticking checkboxes manually, or by choosing which preset will speed up ticking those checkboxes. All this is inherent in that working paradigm.

And then you consider that well, maybe the WB could have been a bit warmer. So you find one image, warm up its individual WB, Copy again (selecting WB to be transferred, however you do that), find those images again, and Paste. 

My suggested alternative paradigm avoids that whole issue because it is more direct and "visual" IMO. You don't have to plan ahead specifically: apart from identifying that several images have probably got related needs. From there on it's a free exploration of how best to meet those needs. Fiddle with (say) WB temp / whatever until you like the result: the other highlighted images share this same change.

But images haven't needed to 'avoid' having their other settings being updated too: those remain unaffected by default.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines