Highlighted

How do I export a file with a CMYK color profile in Lightroom?

New Here ,
May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to save a photo with a CMYK color profile to send to a company who will print it for me. I've looked at the color profiles installed on my computer, and quite a few CMYK profiles appear to be there (in   /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/Recommended). I'm not sure if they need to be in the "Profiles" folder specifically, or if it matters that they're in a subfolder of that folder. This is on a Mac computer, by the way.

The problem is, when I go to export in Lightroom, and I choose "Other" in Color Profile, I'm not given any of the CMYK options.

Thanks for your help!

Ray

Sorry...you can't. LR doesn't do CMYK, only RGB...you'll need Photoshop or some other app.

TOPICS
How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How do I export a file with a CMYK color profile in Lightroom?

New Here ,
May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to save a photo with a CMYK color profile to send to a company who will print it for me. I've looked at the color profiles installed on my computer, and quite a few CMYK profiles appear to be there (in   /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/Recommended). I'm not sure if they need to be in the "Profiles" folder specifically, or if it matters that they're in a subfolder of that folder. This is on a Mac computer, by the way.

The problem is, when I go to export in Lightroom, and I choose "Other" in Color Profile, I'm not given any of the CMYK options.

Thanks for your help!

Ray

Sorry...you can't. LR doesn't do CMYK, only RGB...you'll need Photoshop or some other app.

TOPICS
How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 05, 2014 0
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2014 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following on from Jeff's comment, create a Photoshop droplet and run it as a post processing step. Instructions here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2014 0
May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ray7199 wrote:

I'm trying to save a photo with a CMYK color profile to send to a company who will print it for me. I've looked at the color profiles installed on my computer, and quite a few CMYK profiles appear to be there (in   /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/Recommended).

Above and beyond what Jeff and John have told you, be VERY careful converting RGB to CMYK unless you have the specific ICC profile for that print provider. Probably a lot safer to send them tagged RGB and let them convert the data. Converting with a profile that isn't specifically targeted for the print process will produce huge headache's for you and the shop and potentially awful output which is going to be expensive. Ask them if they can accept RGB and send them maybe sRGB which of course you can do from Lightroom.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2014 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need to convert to CMYK anymore today. In InDesign and other print application you should place RGB images.

See also Re: Re: Converting Images to CMYK for Print Publication

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 05, 2014 1
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless, of course, your client specifically requests CMYK - then there's a pretty darned good reason .

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2015 0
Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR6 has the provisions to export to CMYK as a JPEG from the Print Module.

Why the same profiles can't be selected from the Export dialog is beyond me. But this is a good first step.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thedigitaldog - interesting point. Thanks for the heads up.  If only LR 6 wasn't so much slower than LR 5.7 - I'd take advantage of that! As is I just go into bridge and use ACR to convert to CMYK. It offers a direct save option.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2015 0
Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most people require CMYK images because they think they need it for print caused by a lack of accurate knowledge. And for photos it makes less sense as it would make for Photoshop. You need to keep the appearance, not the CMYK values.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya... I teach photography at a graphic design school and it seems like I spend half my time telling my students to keep things RGB, regardless of what their other profs say. I'll occasionally get a client who wants both rgb and a specific CMYK space (like I did this morning) - otherwise why work in a smaller space?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2015 0
Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

denniR wrote:

- otherwise why work in a smaller space?

FWIW and perhaps OT, CMYK, depending on the flavor (say SWOP V2) isn't necessarily smaller than RGB (depending on the space, say sRGB). At least if we're talking about size in terms of gamut. There are colors in SWOPv2 that fall outside sRGB gamut. Getting back OT, there are lots of workflows where one has to supply CMYK. Unless you have the profile for that specific output device, IF you can send RGB, do so. Nothing will hose the color of a job better than sending CMYK converted using a process not intended for that output device.

Pretty cool LR6 is getting close to ACR in terms of handling CMYK when necessary. Let's hope it's available in Export as it is in Print some day.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point .

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2015 0
Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the point has been hammered well down by now, so I'll just sum it up: CMYK is a can of worms. Don't open it unless it's absolutely necessary.

In addition, CMYK is very much dependent on geography. Here in Europe, most commonly used are either ISO Coated (eci) 300%, or Coated FOGRA39. SWOP isn't used anywhere, and the Photoshop default is probably responsible for more bad color here than anything else. People just hit Image Mode > CMYK without any idea what they're doing.

ISO Coated isn't even in the Photoshop installation, you have to download it. But it's not bad as CMYK goes. It's pretty wide gamut, and you need Adobe RGB (and a wide gamut monitor) to cover it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2015 2
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now., ECI RGB is included in the standard installation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2020 0