Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import X3F file into Lightroom?

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I just purchased a Sigma DP2 Merrill to photograph artwork.

I am shooting in RAW and AdobeRGB colorspace.

The file created is an X3F file.

Does anyone know a good workflow to end up with a Camera Raw file in Lightroom?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say but I have no good news to report, downloaded a raw file from the same camera from the net to also test. 
No go with other applications that I have access to, all the same problem, Lightroom Classic 9.2.1, PS/ ACR 12.2.1, On 1  Raw 2020, Capture One 10, not with your files and the one I got online. I can't recall any other users with this Camera Model posting problems.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I now have some better news after my last post, I am pretty sure your raw files are not corrupt and I was able to process them using a program that I have installed on my Windows system which is a Professional Printing software, application which is only available for Windows, and is called Qimage Ultimate.

However it can also work with Raw files from digital cameras. The 3 screen captures are from it Raw Develop window. Two are from the files you sent to me and the other is what I downloaded from the internet. You can see the full specs of the images in the lower left. The one of the ColorChecker Card was adjusted with an eyedropper click on the third grey patch in the bottom row of colour patches.

Screenshot 2020-05-01 at 4.21.14 PM.jpgScreenshot 2020-05-01 at 4.40.21 PM.jpgScreenshot 2020-05-01 at 4.32.52 PM.jpg

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I do believe there a need for the problems with the support for Sigma DP2 Merille X3F raw files to be reported.as a Bug to the appropriate forum. 
The current versions of Lightroom Classic 9.2.1 / Photoshop 21.1.2 / ACR 12.2.1 and The DNG Converter are all unable to read and process the RAW files from this Camera Model. The Official Adobe list of Camera Models supported by Adobe Camera Raw includes this camera model since 2012. I do not know if recent changes to profile and new procedures     are the cause as I have no recollection of seeing this issue raised previously.

I recommend that the OP begin the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Denis for your conclusion. I do concur after much trying options with Eons...

I also tried to import the files with no luck in Classic and Photoshop/ACR. I was able to view the images with XnView (but assume I was just looking at an embedded preview- not the raw data)

Maybe the advice that was given to buy this camera was not the best advice afterall.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And thank you to WobertC!

As I mentioned previously, I am only able to view the files in Sigma Photo Pro (but to the photographer's credit who recommened it, he did inform me that SPP was the only application that could read the file - although I was under the impression that SPP only needed to be used as a "bridge" and that once it was imported, a secondary import to LRC would be possible) and from there able to ColorChecker Camera Calibration and Photoshop.

He also now says he sometimes uses this application:  https://www.iridientdigital.com

He stressed... the functionality issues are balanced out by the image quality, color accuracy, depth and detail.

All that said, I was looking for camera that would be a good choice for photographing artworks in a studio setting to achieve accurate colors and details AND that I work with Adobe Creative Cloud software... so you may be right in the end - there were probably better choices with less headaches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Denis, for your attention and diligence in search of an answer to the problem.

It will be very exciting if it leads "OP" to design this particular RAW file type into a near future update.

Is there a way I can track any progress on your recommendation to OP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will send you a private message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have sent two private messages a while ago, check your messages in box in the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please go to this link to begin the process of reporting the Bug.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I just purchased a Sigma DP2 Merrill to photograph artwork."

LR and Camera raw support the Sigma DP2 but not the Sigma DP2 Merrill, which is a different camera:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmadp2
https://www.dpreview.com/products/sigma/compacts/sigma_dp2m
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

(Following up from this related thread: 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-classic-no-x3f-support)

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Old thread, but just for reference: Sigma DP2 (and DP1, DP3) "Merrill" X3F files are supported only by a handful of softwares, the best of wich, in terms of results, is the slow but free Sigma Photo Pro. Affinity is another one, and there is a plugin for Photoshop that converts the files to DNGs, but neither is as good as a solution as SPP, in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines