• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic August 2019 parent folder photo count not appearing

Participant ,
Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 8.4 August 2019 parent folder photo count not appearing!

Is there a new setting somewhere? What am I missing?

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Hey Viscott - it is a UNC name vs mapped drive letter issue! Here is what I did:

1) Under LR 8.3.1 I created a new test catalog and imported some folders and files from a local drive

2) Created the same folders and files on my NAS

3) Imported the local drive folder structure as well as the NAS folder structure using its UNC name

4) Imported the NAS folder structure again using a mapped drive letter

5) All counts were correct

6) Upgraded to LR 8.4

7) Counts were correct for the local drive folder struct

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The count should be present. Therefore, given that this update includes some performance works to photo enumeration, it may be that the preference file needs refreshed. You should follow the instructions for Method 1 at How to set Lightroom Classic preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. It's a bug in 8.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Viscott,

Sorry that the parent folder does not reflect the number of images in Lightroom Classic 8.4. Let us help make this right.

I am unable to reproduce this issue and as IanLyons mentioned, it might just be a preference glitch. Restoring the app preference to default might help: How to set Lightroom Classic preferences

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the preference file does not work! The parent folders in all of my Lightroom Catalogs display a "0" photo count as shown in my original post.

Optimizing the catalog and synchronizing does not do anything either.

It's the same across multiple Lightroom Catalogs.

It's a bug in 8.4.

Parent Bug.JPG

Parent Bug 2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur with Viscott, I see the exact problem he describes and the suggested solutions also fail for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I will have to get up off my rear end and browse from a PC instead of a iPad, as so to launch LR.

But

Looks like LR is reporting no images in the root of some folders, ignoring counts in sub folders, even with show photos in sub folders turned on

Wonder if this a new enhancement not advertised?

Anyone else seeing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not on my system. Working fine, Showing image count for top level folder with subfolders.

Try toggling "Show Photos in Subfolder off then back on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Toggling "Show Photos in Subfolder" off then back on does not fix the problem (nor does nuking the preferences file). I rolled back to the prior version which works fine and will probably stay on that until the root cause is identified and a fix released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! A bug is a BUG!

No need to send people down an endless rabbit hole!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not seeing this problem on W10 or Mac OS Mojave but perhaps the update has triggered some unknown hardware or disk conflict.

Looking at the screenshots it seems random. For example what is the difference between LA Marathon 2019 with 2193 items and LA Pride 2019 with zero items?

If we can use a process of elimination it will give the Adobe engineers a starting point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great observation!

LA Pride 2019 has NO files in the root folder and only has files in the sub folders.

LA Marathon 2019 has files in the root folder and has files in the sub folders.

LA Pride 2019 Folder:

LA Pride.JPG

LA Marathon 2019 Folder:

LA Marathon.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, yes

no images actually in LA Pride 2029 folder, but lots in the sub folders

actual images in the LA Marathon 2019 folder (root) as well in sub folders

So, looks like LR is now telling you how many is in the root of a folder, ignoring how many in sub folders, despite the sub folder option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inquiry, for that LA Marathon 2019 folder, the 2913 image count, how many of those are in the root of that folder? And is that count short if you include the subfolder count?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is 2913 files.

2911 NEF Files
2 Tiff Files.

3,485 Files, 4 Folders

I guess the concept is to show you that you have files in the root. You should be able to show total count of images in a parent folder and its child folders. If you have the Library Set to "Show Photos In Sub Folders" on, you should get a total count. Seems this should have been a preferences check box.

<sigh>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to remember this from the distant past and we always used to add one dummy file to each root (parent) folder. So perhaps it’s an issue that has re-surfaced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Library menu what happens if you uncheck Enable Filters. Mine is not checked only the Show subfolders has a checkmark. Does that make any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like a problem that has been reported here before a few times, so it is not something specific for the 8.4 update. It is catalog corruption, most likely. Do you have a catalog backup?

Photos Not Showing in Folders but Show as Already Imported

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 14 Catalogs and they all are displaying the same way with 8.4, it has nothing to do with the catalogs. No need to freak people out!

Adobe clearly has changed the way it is counting images in folders with sub-folders.

Please read my other replies in the post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is something specific for the 8.4 update. Reverting back to the prior release with an unchanged catalog restored the correct functionality. It is 8.4, not the catalogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted back to LR 8.3.1.

Viola, everything back to normal!

LR 8.3.1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I scared anyone, but it did look like the same problem as discussed in the link. As not all Windows users seem to see this, and I don’t see it on my Macs either, I wonder if this could be a problem with the new GPU acceleration? Did you try what happens if you turn that off?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, No, No. If you read the complete thread you will see that it has something to do with the way Adobe is now counting images in parent folders with and without files in the root of the parent folder.  If no files are in the parent it will display 0. If there are sub folders with files in the sub folders it shows the counts for each sub folder, but 0 if no files are in the parent.

If the parent folder has files in it the count shows the count for only the files in the parent folder and does not include the sub folder counts.

Adobe Math! Sucks and is annoying. Leave it alone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Viscott  wrote

Adobe Math! Sucks and is annoying. Leave it alone!

Just FYI, the reason they didn't leave it alone is that before, updating the folder counts was taking forever. It was delaying application startup by a very significant amount of time. It was not something that could be left alone. In a later reply here you called these "un-needed changes" but many users disagreed, they wanted the slow folder counts sped up.

Looks like Adobe tried to find a way to optimize the math to make it go a lot faster. On some computers it works fine. On others, there's a problem. Hopefully they'll figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sure would be nice if Adobe had a change log somewhere.

Changes to the behavior of the Library Module should be thoroughly documented, especially if this was one of the ways they sped up the catalog loading, which seems to be a lazy work-around for big catalogs. It should be an option in "Lightroom Preferences" to turn on or off, like the ability to turn off the new numbers in the Filmstrip.

No mention of what was done.

New and enhanced features | August 2019 release of Lightroom Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines