Lightroom Classic crashes Mac in Develop Mode

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using LightRoom Classic for several years without significant problems, but recently (almost two months ago now) it began to crash my computer. I was running MacOS 10.11 but hoped update to Big Sur would fix the problem: it did not. Then I waited for the next LR update but it does not change the situation.

Most of the time LR starts slowly but then appears to be working. As far as I can tell, Library mode is working normally. I start in Develop mode with pix previously loaded, but after a few operations it slows down, then freezes, followed usually by the computer crashing. No error message appears, although someeimes screen colours show during the process. Every other app on the Mac seems to run well, including Photoshop and Bridge.

I've tried everything I could think of, and also several ideas from other community posts. Now I'm out of ideas: either I fix the problem or cancel my sub and search for another raw editor. 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly the same problem for me !! it also crashed my 4T back up Harddisk 😞 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My LR Classic has got bugs in the develop module too.  Sometimes it crashes my mac.  Often I get a "spinning wheel of delay" and it takes ages to respond, especially when I am using the radial or graduated filters.  There are also bugs with the star rating, which does not show correctly in the develop module.  I would prefer to go back to the older version of LR classic which I had about 2 months ago.  Now I have got 10.1.1 but the bugs have not been fixed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem after 10.0 to 10.1on Big Sur (late 2015 5k retina iMac). I rolled back to 10.0 after it was clear that Adobe didn't seem to be able to agree or fix the issues. Worse still was the 10.1.1 update, which I thought would be a bug fix - it wasn't. Can someone at Adobe confirm if the problem is recognsed yet - there are multiple postings on this problem with the Develop mode?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this forum is primarily intended for customer to customer support/help it's unlikely that Adobe will respond. However, there is a forum provided by Adobe for reporting issues such as you're experiencing. The forum can be found at https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872

Alternatively, you can add you feedback to an existing thread on the same subject. This thread appears to be the most recent https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-v101-crashes-my-ima...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
ZEd301 AUTHOR
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have found a workaround by accident.

When looking at similar problems and their solutions, I noticed a recommendation to deal with a similar problem by turning the setting for the graphics processor to OFF. This seemed counter-intuitive and I had no expectation that it would work but I began trying the effects of each setting for the processor. To my surprise, this one worked.

The startup still seems somewhat slower than in the past and some edits may be a bit slower, but the overall LrC operation is definitely usable and - most important - no more crashes.

This fix may not work for all graphic chips; mine is AMD Radeon R9 M380 2 GB.  But for those with similar problems it's worth the try (although I do hope that the conflict is resolved in a future update).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the new Big Sur update v 11.2 released yesterday?

I am using an iMac 27" 5K mid 2015.

Regards, Denis: iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, GPU 2GB, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.2.1, LrC 10.1.1 (>10.0), Lr 4.1, Ps 22.1, Pr 14.8.0; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines