• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom won't update (but Camera Raw and PhotoShop will)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear fellow forumers,

I'm experiencing a very annoying problem. I have the Photographer's Creative Cloud, and the Desktop App says PS, LR and CR are all up-to-date. Whilst this is true for PS and CR, it is not for LR. I know this because I can open raw (ORF) files from my Olympus TG-5, a recent camera, in PhotoShop but not in Lightroom.

My version of Lightroom CC is the "2015 Release" with Camera Raw 9.0. I have re-installed from scratch but that only reverted to this version which is in fact an older version than what I had before. I know this is not the most recent version but there seems no way for me to update. My subscription to CC is fine. I have searched the forums and found some pages pointing out issues that have been solved, but neither worked for me (I have even uninstalled CC altogether and started from scratch).

I have tried to chat with Adobe themselves, but after an announced 4' wait (which was more than 30' in reality) I got to talk to a very unhelpful person who said "there is a system outage going on right now" and they would get back after 24-48 hours...??? Moreover a status check of the Adobe servers says they all operate normally.

Have others experienced this problem, and found a solution?

Thanks a lot!

Kris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Problem "solved" by a full removal of all Adobe applications and manual removal of all Adobe folders, then complete re-installation in Safe Mode. This was done by an Adobe staff member who took over control of my computer for close to 5 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download and install the update from Download Photoshop Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I have tried that but to no avail :-(.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kristiaand77074047  wrote

Thanks, I have tried that but to no avail :-(.

We can't help you if you don't give details. What happened? Explain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for my (too) brief reply. This is because I tried so many things I didn't know where to get started ;-). I have uninstalled everything and am trying your solution again, hopefully it will work now and if it doesn't I will give you a detailed answer. I appreciate your help very much!  Kris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so here is what I did.

I went to the page you mentioned Download Photoshop Lightroom .

I downloaded The Application Installer for Lightroom 6 (PC).

I ran the installer which installed the program fine - but it is an older version with the old splash screen (trees in front of a mountain) and it has ACR 9.0. In fact the version I had before was more recent than this (with the flower splash screen), but not recent enough to open Olympus TG-5 files.

I have then downloaded the latest update from the pahe you linked: Lightroom 6.12.

When I ran it (as Administrator), I got the message: "Update Failed. Updates could not be applied. You are already running the Adobe Application Manager. Please close all instances of Adobe Application Manager before applying updates. Please contact Customer Support for further assistance."

However there was not other Adobe Application Manager running (I cheched using the Task Manager). So I contacted Customer Support which after a long wait in the chatbox led me to this staff member who told me they had a "system outage".

When I try to import my recent raws into Lightroom I get the message: "Some import operations were not performed. The files are not recognized by the raw format support in Lightroom. (724) Please click below to check for an updated version of Lightroom."

When I click Check for Updates I get the message "The version check was unsuccessful. This is probably a result of one of the following. (1) Your internet connection is not currently available, (2) The server containing the version data is not available at this time. Check your internet connection and/or try again later."

The former option (1) is obviously not the case.

Just as a reminder, the CC Desktop App says Lightroom CC (2015) and Camera Raw CC are both up to date. The manual Check for App Updates is greyed out.

I must say, I often get a pop-up "Creative Cloud is restarting". The solution was supposed to be a re-install, which I have done, but this issue persists. I'm not sure if this is related to my Lightroom update problem or not.

I have previously tried some other methods people have used, like renaming settings files in the AppData folder, but that didn't help.

I hope my description is clear and greatly appreciate any input you might have :-).

Kris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so you are fully aware, the Lightroom CC 2015.12 / LR 6.12 update is a patch. You do not need to uninstall the Lightroom CC 2015.0 / LR 6.0.

If you were able to run the install successfully for Lightroom CC 2015 / LR 6 then you should then just run the update patch.

Do not uninstall the original version. When you look at the original installer the file is over 700MB the update is around 300MB.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, maybe I didn't express myself clearly but that's exactly what I did. I installed CC 2015 first (which worked) and then the patch (which did not work).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea why the update is not running if the actual application installed. Are you logged in to your Adobe Account?

Check your Creative Cloud application, refer to the screen capture.

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 2.14.41 PM.png

Yours should look like this.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm logged in.

Here is my screen grab, please notice that the option for a manual update check is greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was checking the latest version of the Creative Cloud App on the Adobe website and the latest version is 4.2.0.211 (there is a note indicating it is mandatory. On the Creative cloud Application check on the gear wheel and click Preferences > General and it will show the version you have installed. Try updating if necessary. See the screen capture.

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 4.59.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again DdeGannes, but that is the version of the CC app I have...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A small update. I finally ended up with a very helpful staff member and they took over control of my computer, tried everything I tried before (this took nearly 2 hours), and couldn't solve the problem. They were clear it is a CC problem (which they have tried to solve), not a Lightroom problem. Will be continued...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem "solved" by a full removal of all Adobe applications and manual removal of all Adobe folders, then complete re-installation in Safe Mode. This was done by an Adobe staff member who took over control of my computer for close to 5 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wish the adobe personnel that helped you was nice enough to update this inquiry with steps to resolve. I have this exact issue. I have even tried removing the OOBE, pdb, and Media_pdb files and it still has not worked. This is an infuriating issue that should not still exist after a month on a subscribed service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines