• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic does not merge raw and jpeg while importing

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlike described in the tutorials and manuals, LR Classic would keep raw and jpeg separately, even though they have the same filename except for the extension.

Will it be resolved any time soon?

Example:

I import from Nikon D7100, where I store raw and jpeg on two different SD cards. Even though I unchecked the preference  "keep raw and jpeg separately", both pictures would show up side by side in the grid view instead of a single picture "+jpeg".

Same when importing from a file system.

This really an annoyance when you have large numbers of photos!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see this problem with my cameras. This might be due to the fact that you store the raw and jpeg files on separate SD-cards, so they are not imported at the same time. Or perhaps the D7100 writes a slightly different capture time, that confuses Lightroom. But if you don't want to see the JPEG files separately, why do you import them at all? What purpose does it serve you to have the jpegs? As they are on a different card, you don't have to import them in the first place.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is happening because they are 2 different files on 2 different memory cards and imported at different times, 2 different imports.

This is not a LR  problem and does not need to be corrected.

If you want the JPGs to be imported, but hidden from view in LR, and Copied to your storage media, HDD, at the same time then set the camera to record both the RAW, NEF, and JPG files on the same card. Then when importing the JPGs will get copied to the HDD and imported into LR as hidden Sidecar files for the NEF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree.

As mentioned in my report, the same happens when importing from a file system.

Therefore I do not believe the reason is storing on two memory cards instead of one.

Nevertheless, I will test storing raw+jpeg on the same HDD, to verify your suggestion.

Thank you for your insights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other aspect of this is that if what you're asking was to be done, you would never see edits returned as JPEG (with the same), because they'd be converted to sidecar files. I often save to JPEG in Photoshop for non critical files to save space and they return with the original filename (not the -Edit version).

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can disagree but what I wrote is correct. I have no idea how it would work when storing, copying, the RAW & JPG in the same folder on one of your HDD. But I know that is how it works with memory cards. For LR to treat the JPG file as part of the RAW file, as a Sidecar file to the RAW file, both files need to be on one memory card and imported, selected in the import dialog window, at the same time.

When ever you do 2 separate imports LR does not see the JPG as the same image. It treats it as a separate image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do believe that Nikon has an option for a full sized jpeg to be included in the raw file. However I would also expect that if this is the case it would be imported along with the raw file with the initial import. I also believe that every raw file includes a sidecar jpeg file also normally a thumbnail.

If one selects to shoot to capture raw + jpeg then there are two files included on the card at the time of capture.

If you need to import both files into Lightroom then you need to select the option in Lightroom preferences to "treat jpeg files next to raw files as separate photos" at import. This will show the jpeg alongside the raw file as a separate photo. If the option is not selected then the raw file will be imported with the jpeg as a sidecar file , which will not be shown in Lightroom and not available for individual editing or display. Just my expectation, I do not work with Nikon .nef files.

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 9.43.20 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Nikon .NEF are treated any differently than any other proprietary raw file. As Just Shoot Me and myself already explained, in order to make Lightroom treat the JPEG files as sidecar files, they have to be imported simultaneously. If they are imported separately, they will be treated as separate photos, regardless of the preference setting. You may be able to get them treated as sidecars after all, if you use 'Synchronize Folder' after the import has finished. I haven't tried that, but I know that the opposite works that way. You can 'split off' sidecar JPEGs by checking the preference option and then use Synchronize Folder.

The question remains why anyone would want to import JPEGs separately, just to have them as sidecar files. What is the purpose of that? Lightroom doesn't do anything useful with JPEGs as sidecars. It's just a method to 'get them out of the way' if you shoot RAW+JPEG. If you saved the RAW and JPEG files to separate cards anyway, you can simply decide not to import the JPEGs at all. The OP has not answered that question...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Johan I agree with all you have said. I basically only import raw files into Lightroom and I never bother to compare the camera produced jpeg with the Lightroom rendition.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never understood the option "Treat JPEG files next to raw files....." As a means of providing a way of importing the JPEG as a sidecar. If that option is left unchecked then Lightroom simply doesn't import the JPEG file. If the option IS checked then the JPEG will appear alongside the raw file as a separate image. That's the way I have always used it, and I don't think it has ever been any different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess  wrote

I have never understood the option "Treat JPEG files next to raw files....." As a means of providing a way of importing the JPEG as a sidecar. If that option is left unchecked then Lightroom simply doesn't import the JPEG file. If the option IS checked then the JPEG will appear alongside the raw file as a separate image. That's the way I have always used it, and I don't think it has ever been any different.

If that option is unchecked, then Lightroom uses the jpeg as a sidecar file. You see a small icon that indicates this. Whether or not that means the file is ‘imported’ is up for debate. It is ‘imported’ in the same way that an XMP file would be ‘imported’. I agree however that it is pretty meaningless to have a sidecar file like this, because I don’t think there is anything that Lightroom can do with it.

The only exception I know is when you use ‘Embedded & sidecar’ for previews to speed up import. Some cameras (Olympus is one of them) do not generate a full size preview, but a rather small one. If you shoot raw+jpeg with such a camera, and you use ‘Embedded & sidecar’ previews, then the jpeg will be used as preview rather than the small embedded one.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess  wrote

Actually if you leave that option unchecked LR does copy the JPG file to your hard drive, in the same folder as the RAW files, and imports them into the Catalog. It also hides them from view. If you try to import them from the folder they were copied to LR doesn't show any new files in that folder as they are already in the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just+Shoot+Me  wrote

JimHess   wrote

Actually if you leave that option unchecked LR does copy the JPG file to your hard drive, in the same folder as the RAW files, and imports them into the Catalog. It also hides them from view. If you try to import them from the folder they were copied to LR doesn't show any new files in that folder as they are already in the catalog.

Not that it matters very much, but technically Lightroom does not import them and hide them. It uses them as sidecars only. You can prove this in the following way: If you do check the option to treat the jpegs as separate images, and then use 'Synchronize Folder' on a folder that contains already imported raw+jpeg files, then Lightroom will tell you it wants to import all the jpegs. That proves that the jpegs were not imported and hidden, they were not imported at all. They are used as sidecar files in some situations, like when you use 'Embedded & sidecar' for previews and the camera does not generate full size embedded previews.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well they are imported as Sidecar files. It they weren't imported LR wouldn't know anything about them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I said earlier. But apparently 'imported as sidecar file' is not the same as imported as an image and then hidden.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I am aware when you shoot raw + jpeg with your camera there will be two files saved to the card. The raw file will have a jpeg thumb nail file within the raw file header.

When I shoot raw + jpeg and import into Lightroom using copy from the SD card then both files get copied to the HDD as separate and individual files. Both are displayed in Lightroom as separate files. I am away from my desktop at present but will check to see what happens when I have to treat jpeg files next to raw files unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can tell you right now. Both files still get copied to the HDD as separate and individual files, but the JPEG will not show in the catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Johan that is what I would expect, just needed to check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could check that if you want to, but nobody is disputing it. That is not what this thread is all about. Did you read the whole thread, or just the last few messages?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this article gives a good description of what one should expect when using the option of, treat jpeg files next raw files as separate photos, or not use the option. See the screen capture.14545BD0-F106-4FC8-9900-9291BD9EFB96.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but again; that was not under dispute or in question. What was in question is that if you don't import the raw and jpeg simultaneously, they will be treated as separate files no matter if that box is checked or unchecked (and the article does not mention that). And later, we had a bit of a technical discussion about how a sidecar is handled exactly (which is also not explained in this article).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines