Highlighted

RGB Parade and Vectorscope in Lightroom?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I do a lot of video editing and really like using the RGB Parade and Vectorscope.

Histogram for photos aren't as detailed. Is there any plugins or features that have similar functions like RGB Parade and Vectorscope for use inside Lightroom or maybe as an external editor?

Best regards Simon

Topics

FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

RGB Parade and Vectorscope in Lightroom?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I do a lot of video editing and really like using the RGB Parade and Vectorscope.

Histogram for photos aren't as detailed. Is there any plugins or features that have similar functions like RGB Parade and Vectorscope for use inside Lightroom or maybe as an external editor?

Best regards Simon

Topics

FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simqplicious,

Greetings.

You can use Premier Pro for that, check this link

Regards

Rohit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Thanks but that's really a workaround. shouldn't there at least be one plugin in the world that does this ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but that's really a workaround. shouldn't there at least be one plugin in the world that does this ?

No, it doesn't exist. This has not been something that people do in the stills world at all. My guess is that it will become more common but currently I don't think anybody has thought about this. Also note that you can't really write a plugin that easily embeds into the Lightroom interface so that route wouldn't really work. You can make a window popup but there is no way to have some dynamically updated window such as a scope you would use in color grading video so you could immediately see the results of your slider changes. So Adobe would have to supply something like this. Therefore what I would recommend is to submit this as a feature request on http://feedback.photoshop.com . Many features requested there get implemented over time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your comment about stills is not entirely accurate. Also, Adobe is aware of this need as they have introduced the ability to create LUT's and perform grading with Photoshop. So having Vector Scopes as a tools would be a great addition. Maybe a challenge to implement within Lightroom, but should be doable in Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

may I ask then how do professional photo editors manage tasks like obtaining "true" skin color values and saturation control without vectorscope?
Also, I would love to see Waveform monitor in Lightroom, as regular histogram isn't accurate enough for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I would love to see Waveform monitor in Lightroom, as regular histogram isn't accurate enough for me.

Please add details of why you want this feature and your me-too vote to this feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Add vertically aligned Parade Scopes to be able to locate under & overexposure | Photosho... (This forum is primarily user-to-user and Adobe product developers are rarely seen here.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"may I ask then how do professional photo editors manage tasks like obtaining "true" skin color values and saturation control without vectorscope?"

They use their eyes?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on what, their monitor? If they use three monitors, do they "eyeball" using the left one, middle or right? Or the one that's the brightest? How old are they? Or maybe they just like LG the most to color grade, because it nicely crushes the blacks... is it sunny outside or a sunset? They work at night maybe, or don't have windows? If so, what color temperature is their artificial light?

I could go on... you realize all of the above have signifiacant influence of how you perceive the colors? That is why in my professional work I always use scopes. And also that is why I find amusing that photography professionals just eyeball all of it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do know plenty and I'm telling you as it is. Some who make their living from photography (ie "professionals") do apply more sophisticated techniques and hardware like daylight balanced viewing boxes, but photography and video are different. Individual images versus sequences, points in time/light rather than ever-changing scenes that need to be joined and matched? Typically, some photographers carry a colour chart on location and use it for colour matching, many calibrate their monitor(s), and a few obtain more accurate paper profiles than those supplied by paper manufacturers. You do get some who insist they must use CMYK values (again, print-oriented) as a recipe for skin tones, though that's not something many Lightroom users would do. They do use their eyes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a comprehensive answer I expected - thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I was a bit flippant!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"may I ask then how do professional photo editors manage tasks like obtaining "true" skin color values and saturation control without vectorscope?"

They use their eyes?

Haha, sure, I'm color blind !

I would love a vectorscope in Photoshop/Lightroom. I use it all the time on premiere and After Effects

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to add your detailed opinion of why you want this (how you use it) and click Me Too on the feature request: Lightroom: Add vertically aligned Parade Scopes to be able to locate under & overexposure | Photosho...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many PROFESSIONAL photographers edit their images on any monitor they have avalible. Unlike your eyes, John, many monitors are not perfectly calibrated for color.
A vector scope and RGB parade shows you more detailed information about your image then a histogram ever could allowing a professional to edit the colors of an image with more precision reguardless of their improperly calibrated monitor or inferior eyes. It doesnt matter if the image is supposed to be viewed in a sequence(@ 24fps) or by itself. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For stills photogs that need accurate flesh tones, the answer is simple.

They DON’T trust their eyes any more than movie colorists do.  It’s more trust but verify.

So still photographers either use something like a Color Checker and create a custom profile, or they use this technique as explained so deftly by color genius Lee Varis: http://varis.com/2014/04/22/color-correction-4-skin/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an old thread, but just wanted to leave this link here: 

Nobe OmniScope - scope solution that will work with Lightroom (and other photo editing software). It's using screen capture to monitor the source image in realtime.

Open BETA has launched - more info here:
https://timeinpixels.com/nobe-omniscope-beta/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also in need of a more informative scope than just a histogram. Can't believe adobe hasn't implemented this yet. Seems like it 100% possible because they already have it in PP. I signed up for Nobe instantly! FFS adobe improve your software based on your customer whishes!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is application for editing pictures and not really for videos. The support for video editing in LR is very rudimental. For a proper video editing you have to use an appropriate program like Premiere Pro or Premiere Elements

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines