• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sigma 85mm 1.4 dg dn lens correction

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted support by chat regarding Sigma's new 85mm dg dn art lens.  There is no lens correction profile yet, and they have no idea when one will be released.  They sent me a link to a lens profile builder, which is no longer supported.  Looks like it hasn't been supported for some time.  I'm trying to manually correct for this lens, but wanted to know what correction settings you all are using so that I can compare it to mine.  Hopefully, Adobe will get on this quickly.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe Lens Profile Creator is still supported and available for download:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html#Adobe_Lens_Profile_Creator

The Downloader that provided a space for sharing user-created lens profile is no longer supported, but that's not needed to create your own profiles (and share them via other means with other users).

Add your request for an Adobe lens profile to this thread in the official feedback forum, where Adobe wants all such lens requests:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/camera-rawlightroom-lens-profile-req... 

They're typically not very fast in profiling new lenses (and they may or may not get to it for this lens).

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried installing the Lens Profile Creator for Mac, but I get this message, "The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of macOS. Contact the developer for more information."  I have the newest version of Mac iOs.  I'll submit my request.  I have been able to somewhat manually configure a lens correction for the time being.  -DW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right. I just tried and it won't run on Catalina. Probably because it is not a 64 bit app. It's been over a year since I used it so I hadn't noticed this. Clearly we don't have an option anymore now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that the app needs to updated, I also got the message when I downloaded the app a couple hours ago. The install on macOS 10.15.7 failed.

On another note I am surprised that you would find a prime lens with the specs 85 mm f1.4 would require a lens correction profile? I took a look at the sample gallery at DpReview and do not see any obvious problems.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It probably has significant vignetting at f/1.4. I would imagine basically no real distortion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It actually has major pinchushing distortion, visible big time when you shoot a brick wall.  It is a new release from sigma, and the pincushing undoutably was created when they made this lens specifically for mirrorless.  It's much sharper than the 85mm GM from Sony, and a bit smaller, but with pincushing... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is pretty easy to create a correction profile with the lens profile creator app that John links to. I've done these for a bunch of obscure lenses that I own. Very simple and pretty quick. All you need is to print out a chart on a large sheet and mount it  on a flat surface and then take pictures of it in homogeneous lighting. The app figures it all out as long as you are able to photograph the chart in a way that the images overlap and that you cover the entire lens. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh. I keep virtual machines for Mac OS 10.14 and Windows for such issues. You might post a request on that same feedback forum. Above has built 64-bit versions of other tools on request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Sony Camera module are you using?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a7Rii

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any resolution on this issue? i'd love to get a profile for this lens.

the best i've found so far is from dustinabbott.net's review

quoting his correction here:

I found that it took a -11 on the distortion slider and a full +100 and midpoint to 0 (max correction) on the vignette sliders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely no resolution at all.  Doing some myself, I found that a -9 on the distortion slider and vignette of +22 and midpoint at 0 works very well.  I think +100 is way too much, looking at his example, the edges are exposed way more than the center.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me also add that the adobe profile creator for Mac is still not updated to work with the current ios. I have to manually enter the values for each photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what a shame. hopefully this lens is added soon. do you know if there is somewhere we can submit feedback to adobe directly requesting this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a fashion shoot with repeated vertical and horizontal lines in a tunnel. I get around -9 ish for distortion. This lens is so much sharper than the GM 85 and the focus is faster. The image (color and contrast and refocused areas) are as good or better.... but I agree the pincushion is really really strong. Like bad - much more than any lens I've ever used.  If I take a photo of an object on the edge of a table (like for eConmerce) it is really bad - unsuable as is;  but easy to correct with the slider. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it quite odd that Adobe has not published a profile yet. I've never encountered this before with dozens of lenses. 

do you notice very strong, basically unrecoverable vignette in the corners shooting at f/8 with this lens on a light background? I'm on my second one of these lenses and both seem to suffer from the issue. Must be a design flaw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well bless adobe they finally added the profile in Lightroom Classic 10.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines