• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Support? What support? Aspect Ratios not working.

Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to set an aspect ration to exactly 800x533 pixels. Lightroom keeps overwriting my custom setting and changing it to 2x3 - 4x6, which is actually 800x533.33. When exported at 800x533 this changes the settings to either 800x532 or 533x799, neither of which is acceptable to my client.  They want 800x533, exactly.

As a professional I expect support options. I got into chat and waited 146 minutes and got now one to answer. Phone support is worse. Why do I pay you people for a program that doesn't work properly if I can't get support?  The next message I expect will be "We haven't heard from you so we will assume your issue is resolved and we have closed the case." Don't you dare.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

5 months later. Still a major issue and this time its going to cost me thousands os dollars.

The original bug report is four years old, and I'm sure the bug has been present from long before then.  Unfortunately, only 12 people have clicked Me Too on the bug report, and even more unfortunately, Adobe Principal Computer Scientist Simon Chen posted an incorrect analysis of the problem, essentially saying there was no practical solution to the problem. I suspect this closed the issue internally with

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user forum.   If you want to demand options, this is the wrong place. 

If you want help from other users, drop the attitude and then ask the question. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is in the first paragraph. As for the attitude, I pay over $500. A year to this company and I haven’t had a support question addressed in over 8 years. I am referred here every time. I’m a bit sick of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The aspect ratio sets the shape of the image.

The actual pixel size of the shape is set in the Export dialog in the "resize" section.

If you need to crop the picture to an exact number of pixels, you may need to switch to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but when you export at those dimensions the image is off by 1 pixel every time. photoshop is. To an option because of centering issues and  even with batch processing it doesn’t allow that adjustment option prior to saving, at least not in a practical way when exporting over 100 images at a time.

if LR would stop over riding the aspect ratio I can work around the rest.  Is there a way to eliminate the defaults?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichaelAlbany  wrote

Yes but when you export at those dimensions the image is off by 1 pixel every time. photoshop is. To an option because of centering issues and  even with batch processing it doesn’t allow that adjustment option prior to saving, at least not in a practical way when exporting over 100 images at a time.

if LR would stop over riding the aspect ratio I can work around the rest.  Is there a way to eliminate the defaults?

The reason you get the Off pixel dimensions is because of the original image or the crop ratio you have applied. You can't get a pixel dimension of 800x533 with any other aspect ratio other than 200x133.25 and I doubt you can set that as a Crop ratio. It will probably default to one that is closest like what you are seeing now. simply there is no aspect ratio that fits those pixel dimensions in standard photography.

The only way to do what you want is with Photoshop or have the client change what aspect ration and pixel dimensions they want. 800x600 give you the standard 3/2 ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would LOVE for the client to change their requirements to something standard but that is not going to happen. The issue is exactly what you're stating, "It will probably default to one that is closest" The question is, is there a way to override that?

I heard that there is a file somewhere that sets these aspect ratios and if I can eliminate or edit that file then I can work around the issue. I don't use Lightroom for outputting to print or slideshows or anything like that. I literally use custom all the time. I cannot recall using the defaults ever since Lightroom came out. I have been using Adobe since PS 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not in LR. You will need to do that in some other image editing app like Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.JPG

File properties as exported to desktop

2.JPG

Image crop size in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Just so everyone knows this, Photoshop is not an option when exporting over 100 images at a time. Yes it will do the job but not efficiently. And batch processing is not an option as each image has to be centered individually which batch processing doesn't allow. At least not easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, this is a log standing bug (feature?) due to LR's "built-in" 0.005 Crop Ratio rounding. See this post for more details:

Lightroom: I can't add (certain) custom crop ratios | Photoshop Family Customer Community

You can enter an exact 800x533 Crop Ratio using the 'Any Crop' plugin developed by John Ellis:

Any Crop Lightroom Plugin

Yes, we all agree you shouldn't need a plugin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@trshaner - That is the answer I was looking for. Not hoping for, but it is the right answer.

As for the second part of my question, the rant. If Adobe won't talk to us about Lightroom, even to the CC members, how do we tell them that this is not a feature in our view, but in fact a bug that is something that needs correcting?

Unless you enter that you have a activation issue you can't get them to talk to you via chat or phone. On top of that, the last 3 times I was able to talk to them, I would be escalated to tier2. That meant waiting for someone to look at the issue. About a week later I got notifications that due to them not hearing from me they would close the case. This is when they were supposed to call me. Not that I could call, would know who to call, or had a number to call!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichaelAlbany  wrote

As for the second part of my question, the rant. If Adobe won't talk to us about Lightroom, even to the CC members, how do we tell them that this is not a feature in our view, but in fact a bug that is something that needs correcting?

Add your 'Me To' vote and comments at the below bug report. It can only help!

Lightroom: I can't add (certain) custom crop ratios | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 months later. Still a major issue and this time its going to cost me thousands os dollars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original bug report is four years old, and I'm sure the bug has been present from long before then.  Unfortunately, only 12 people have clicked Me Too on the bug report, and even more unfortunately, Adobe Principal Computer Scientist Simon Chen posted an incorrect analysis of the problem, essentially saying there was no practical solution to the problem. I suspect this closed the issue internally within Adobe.

Nevertheless, I provided a correct analysis, explaining how the fix would involve just a few lines of code: Lightroom: I can't add (certain) custom crop ratios | Photoshop Family Customer Community .  I backed up that analysis with what was originally intended to be just a demonstration script but, as the result of customer requests, soon became a full-blown plugin, Any Crop.  It would be much better for Adobe simply to fix the few lines of code, but I suspect that won't happen before the next ice age -- not enough people complaining to them about it, combined with an internal seemingly authoritative analysis saying there's no easy solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been no updates for two years at the Photoshop Family report so it's not likely Adobe is going to change the current Crop Tool ±1 pixel ratio accuracy (.005).

It sounds like the Any Crop LR plugin isn't working properly for some reason is that correct? Please explain in full-detail the procedure you are using with the Any Crop plugin including screenshots of its settings and the Export module settings. Also tell us what's wrong. Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trshaner,  any rope was cropping to the pixel size requested but only in the center of the image, not reducing the image and cropping excess. If that is it’s intension it is working.  However, this is not the solution I’m looking for. I tried a few different ways and got very similar results. 

Since the the results were not what needed I have since deleted the plugin and I am investigating other options.

Also, I just marked johnrellis’s answer correct as, “it is a bug” is the right answer. Not loving the “resolution”, but he described the issue perfectly.

Additionally, his timeline of the next ice age is probably pretty accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichaelAlbany  wrote

Trshaner,  any rope was cropping to the pixel size requested but only in the center of the image, not reducing the image and cropping excess. If that is it’s intension it is working.  However, this is not the solution I’m looking for. I tried a few different ways and got very similar results. 

OK, it sounds like the  plugin settings are incorrect for the desired 800x533 crop ratio AND your not using the LR Export module to resize the full-size cropped original file to the target 800x533 pixel size. It works for me–See if this helps.

Create the 800x533 Any Crop preset using the below settings.

Select the new 800x533 preset and 'Apply to all to apply the crop to all selected image files.

Next Export the selected cropped image files using the below LR Export module settings.

NOTE: The W & H are both set to 800 to constrain landscape and portrait images to 800.

You could also use 'Long Edge' = 800.

Here's the results using a 5616x3744 Canon 5D MKII CR2 file. The 800x533 Any Crop preset crops it to 5616x3744, which is a mere 2 pixel crop off of the short edge. Both landscape and portrait image files export correctly to 800x533 and 533x800

If you're trying to do something different you'll need to provide more details.....the devil is in the details!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try that again after I get caught up. The Droplet issue was "resolved" by tech support. The answer, it only works on images if the exact same size. Any cropping or resizing will affect it.  For now I am using ON1 for exports and resizes.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There should be no need to use a PS droplet or ON1. The above Any Crop LR plugin workflow can be applied to "mixed" image files of any size, orientation, or type with consistent results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ManiacJoe - Switching to PS is an option if I was doing one, two, or even 3 at a time. I am doing 105 in the first batch and 95 in the second batch. From there it drops to about 60-80 at a time, 2-4 shoots per month, for the next 3-5 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines