Will Adobe ever enable Lightroom tethering with Sony cameras?

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else out there who'd love to be able to tether their Sony with Lightroom? This a99ii 42mp beast is built for such things. Please add the ability, Adobe powers-that-be! We're doing pictures with Santa for our Holiday Party...and I really want to automate the post production.

What are my odds?

[Moved from the non-technical Lounge to the specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

LEGEND , Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017
What are my odds?
To get Sony tethering by Christmas -- infinitesimal.  To get Sony tethering in the next couple of years, still very low.While Sony has long provided a software developer kit for wireless tethering, Adobe employee Rikk Flohr indicated that Adobe may have decided that it doesn't meet their needs.  (Adobe uses the SDK's provided by Canon and Nikon for those cameras, rather than writing the tethering libraries from scratch, as Capture One does.)  See this long discussion: Lightroom: Add Tethered Support for Sony cameras | Photoshop Family Customer Community...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an open forum with "some" Adobe staff participation, use the links below to make a report

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform for feature requests or bug reports

-or Feedback forum https://forums.adobe.com/community/creative_cloud/desktop-app/content

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are my odds?

To get Sony tethering by Christmas -- infinitesimal.  To get Sony tethering in the next couple of years, still very low.

While Sony has long provided a software developer kit for wireless tethering, Adobe employee Rikk Flohr indicated that Adobe may have decided that it doesn't meet their needs.  (Adobe uses the SDK's provided by Canon and Nikon for those cameras, rather than writing the tethering libraries from scratch, as Capture One does.)  See this long discussion: Lightroom: Add Tethered Support for Sony cameras | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Please add your request to this other topic, which is the current topic for tethering requests: Lightroom: When will my camera be supported for Tethering? | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting, thanks!

Do think this is just a matter of the powers-that-be working to keep out the "new" kid on the block?

I ask because it looks like there are plenty of companies at this point that have used the Sony SDK to power tethered shooting software, and if they can, surely Adobe could.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do think this is just a matter of the powers-that-be working to keep out the "new" kid on the block?

I don't have any particular knowledge about Adobe's thinking on this other than what they posted in that thread.  In general, though, Adobe is very hard-nosed about their revenue streams and profit, and I don't think they'd walk away from serious revenue just because they want to do a favor for Canon and Nikon. 

I ask because it looks like there are plenty of companies at this point that have used the Sony SDK to power tethered shooting software, and if they can, surely Adobe could.

The Sony SDK uses wireless connections rather than USB cables.  Setting that up requires LR and the user to do significantly different steps than cable-based tethering.

Perhaps Adobe wasn't interested in modifying LR to accommodate this difference while making it easy for users; or perhaps Adobe thought the wireless tethering would be too slow; or perhaps Adobe has decided that Capture one owns the tethering market with a superior professional product and it isn't worth it for Adobe to pursue those users any more.  All just speculation on my part.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More good insight, thanks!

I mean for example that the Capture One software I tried out yesterday with a cable tether worked fantastically with my a99ii.

Would that not have been done with code made available through Sony's SDK? Or is that what you were addressing when you said they build their software "from scratch"?

I have to think that with all the cameras Sony has been selling (esp. all the studio pros raving over the R series) there would be a substantial gain in user base by opening up this compatibility.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean for example that the Capture One software I tried out yesterday with a cable tether worked fantastically with my a99ii.

Would that not have been done with code made available through Sony's SDK? Or is that what you were addressing when you said they build their software "from scratch"?

Right.  Capture One doesn't use the manufacturer-provided SDKs but writes their own code for tethering. Whether they have an agreement with the manufacturers to get documentation on the tethering protocols or they've reverse-engineered the protocols without the manufacturers' cooperation, I don't know.

I have to think that with all the cameras Sony has been selling (esp. all the studio pros raving over the R series) there would be a substantial gain in user base by opening up this compatibility.

Perhaps -- or perhaps only a small fraction of the LR user base actually uses tethering.  Adobe typically doesn't explain these things.

Going forward, Victoria Bampton (Lightroom Queen), who is well-plugged-in to Adobe, wrote, "Future development of Lightroom Classic is being refocused on improving performance and enhancing the editing tools."  So the minimal focus on fixing bugs and improving features in Library (including tethering) over the past many years will be even more reduced.  Thus, it's important to provide feedback to Adobe in the official Adobe feedback forum, even though it usually seems like spitting in the wind.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really are an MVP.

Thanks for the info!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround is to use Sony's tethering program to capture photos and place them in a folder. Configure LR's File > Auto Import to automatically import from that folder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has to go with the flow. And this is, that Sony cameras are getting more and more popular. I am a photographer, who shooted all the years with canon, and I wish that I do not have to switch to capture one. but there is no other possibility

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STILL WAITING ADOBE TO TETHER SONY CAMERAS TO LIGHTROOM !!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the message is clear from Adobe. They're not going to do it, or its a very very low priority.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines