Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom internals failed to initialize

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey All,

Since updating to the latest version of Lightroom (as of June 20th, 2023), this message pops up as soon as I press the app icon to open it on my Mac. It happens on my M1 mac as well as my Intel macbook pro. 

Anyone else havbing this issue? It's rendered my business dead in the water until I can access my photos again.

Pete

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Windows users: if you are running Windows N or KN, please try installing Microsoft's Media Feature Pack. This provides video functionality that we need. If we weren't crashing, we'd show you a nice warning about that. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/media-feature-pack-for-windows-10-11-n-september-2022-78cfeea5-c7d9-4aa8-b38f-ee4df1392009

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Mac users, please try a full uninstall/reinstall. You may need to manually delete part of the app:
1. Uninstall Lr from the Creative Cloud app or the uninstall shortcut in the Lr folder.

2. Look in your Applications folder for "Adobe Lightroom CC" and, if it's still there, move it to the trash.

3. Reinstall Lr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products have been released.  The October 2023 updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
55 Comments
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error message:

Error Initializing Lightroom 

unexpected system exception

PC OS:Win 11 up to date

Lightroom ver: 6.4 (though the issue happened since 6.0)

Then the error message will suggest "Adobe has found a solution for the recent error". However, the link provided in the message does not respond when clicked. See attached pic for reference. Screenshot 2023-07-17 162154.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you seeing this Windows error:

Error Initializing Lightroom 

Unexpected system exception

We've had some success with clean reinstalls of the app.

1. Uninstall Lightroom from the Creative Cloud app
  2. Use Windows Explorer to make sure the app directory is gone. If you see a directory at: \Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom CC, please manually delete the "Adobe Lightroom CC" one. 
  3.  Reinstall Lightroom from the Creative Cloud app.

I don't know whether this will address the reports on Mac of  "Lightroom internals failed to initialize" errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone seeing the originally reported error on a Mac ("Lightroom internals failed to initialize"), I'd very much like to get a log file from your system. I'll reach out to you privately with details if you are willing. Please add a quick note to thread if so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks we tried this. It didn't work unfortunately

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past few weeks or so, normal Lightroom (Win 11- v6.4) won't open anything. Whether I open from Adobe CC, the Lightroom shortcut, or right-clicking a photo to 'open with' LR - I get this error message immediately, every time. I've uninstalled LR, the creative cloud app, and tried everything I've read and can think of. I decided to wait and see if anyone else on here has had a similar issue, but no luck. It's getting real frustrating paying for almost a full month now while not being able to use one of my biggest Adobe assets.  LRC also seems to work totally fine. Any help is majorly appreciated, I've just shot a wedding over the weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows users: if you are running Windows N or KN, please try installing Microsoft's Media Feature Pack. This provides video functionality that we need. If we weren't crashing, we'd show you a nice warning about that. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/media-feature-pack-for-windows-10-11-n-september-2022-78...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue as well. Have been for over a week now. Super frustrating. I'm running Mac OS 13.4.1 

Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 6.32.33 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional Hint if it helps:
I had to resetup my PC and install Creative Cloud and all programms again but still have the same issue.

BR
NKLS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ke255886923, have you tried installing the Media Feature pack yet? See my post about it above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I too am I having the exact same issue on my desktop but not my laptop. not sure why as both computers are Windows and updated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ! 
Eventhough i didnt use Wndows N or KN it worked ! 
Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2023 Aug 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, and do you have a solution for mac users ? it's been almost 2 month now that Lr isn't working at all, and we pay for this service... May be is there an alternative to get my photographs to be shared ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac users, please try a full uninstall/reinstall. You may need to manually delete part of the app:
1. Uninstall Lr from the Creative Cloud app or the uninstall shortcut in the Lr folder.

2. Look in your Applications folder for "Adobe Lightroom CC" and, if it's still there, move it to the trash.

3. Reinstall Lr

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Icaro3155418493qz_0-1691495033507.png

Lightroom was working and out of the blue it does't open anymore...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it works fine now !

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep this error everytime I try to open LR. Any Advice?

AgImageIOInit.init: failed to initialize Camera Raw: initializing Camera Raw: dng_error_unknown

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ฉันไม่พบ Media Feature Pack ใน Windows 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have regular Windows 11. Do I have to get Windows 11 N in order to see the Media Feature Pack option? I don't see it there. I checked to see if the windows feature is on, and Media Features is checked off as on. I tried rolling back to a previous version of lightroom as well, but it keeps showing that the local catalog is damaged even though I did the steps from "Learn More" (mcat, previoews, etc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God bless u my friend...it worked 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I try to open Lightroom, not Lightroom Classic, I get this. 

EdwardEastman_0-1694697275031.png

But there's no solution.  Lightroom is supposed to open on a laptop, I believe.  I uninstalled the app, then re-installed it and still the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey All,

Just tried to upgrade to v 6.5 - and 'failed to initalize' is still coming up. 

Downgrading again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying Julie's recommended route of: uninstall, punt CC folder in Apllicaitons folder to trash, re-install...

And it works! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products have been released.  The October 2023 updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yess!!

Votes