• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom iPad/iPhone Device overheats & brightness dims

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't found anything related to this in online searches, so i thought i would ask Lightroom users.

I have Lightroom mobile installed on my iPhone 7 and when i use it, the phone gets very hot. If the ambient temp is 90 or better (which happens quite often here in Florida), the phone will overheat and shut down after a while. I used it without that happening yesterday (ambient temps around 75), but the phone was still quite hot. I have a pretty thin Spigen case on the phone, and it doesn't get hot with anything other apps.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Steve

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
iOS: iPhone , iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Converting this to a bug just to be clear that we do acknowledge the reports here and have a ticket logged for the engineers to investigate.

Please share specific steps used when this occurs.

--- 

February 5, 2024 Update
[WORKAROUND]

Although it's not ideal, it may help if you enable ‘battery saver’ mode, which throttles the GPU then Lightroom performs much more slowly BUT the overheating/screen dimming issue no longer occurs.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 207 Replies 207
207 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Especially when working with Masks. Any updates on this awful problem??

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree!! I am so sick of Lightroom getting dimmed in 20 seconds into editing on my last generation iPad Air. I use lumafusion with no issues but lightroom can not even edit a photo without overheating and cutting performance. My whole editing workflow is messed up because of this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If adobe does not solve this I will cancel my subscription. There is no reason to use lightroom on ipad anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, it's ridiculous. There has to be some sort of bad code in the app. It seems the processor is being over cooked no matter how extensive you're working in the app. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought the Ipad Pro 6th gen with the M2 chip and i'm having the same problem. Im so upset because i just spent all this money on the Ipad and it's taken me HOURS to get through my first photo editing session because of dimming and overheating. This is unacceptable for Apple and Adobe. I'm literally considering taking the Ipad back and picking up something else as well was finding a new editing software. If anyone has found a fix please let me know. If i can't find a fix within a week then i will be returning the Ipad because this is unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no fix, you have to enable power saver mode that throttles the CPU. There should really be a class action lawsuit, this is completely unacceptable. I suspect a lot of people have MacBook Pros and have given up but those of us living with just an iPad it is a source of huge frustration. Pathetic from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came back to say that I let the Ipad cool off and once it was cooled I started a stopwatch. I turned on the Ipad, opened Lightroom, and began editing. Within the first minute i could already feel the Ipad heating up, by minute two the Apple logo on the back was too hot to touch, by minute five I couldn't touch the back at all, and by minute seven the Ipad had dimmed to 50% of the brightness even though I had it on 100%. This leaves me unable to edit photos until it cools off. Someone has to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will power saver mode affect the brightness?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever so slightly but no where near as much as it does otherwise.

I don’t really know who is to blame here.

Apple shouldn’t have fitted the iPad with a processor that runs far too hot for a device with no active cooling. It’s like fitting a car with a V12 engine but inadequate cooling and then having the engine management system kick in to significantly limit its power after 30 seconds of spirited driving. On the other hand, Adobe should be able to code this away by limiting CPU usage. I suspect if Apple and Adobe engineers worked together this could be fixed with a patch but based on what I’ve seen Adobe couldn’t care less about sorting this issue or their customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What screen size is your Ipad Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo zusammen,

nicht nur, dass es weiterhin massive Probleme beim Export von Bildern aus dem Lightroom Mobile auf mein iPhone gibt (komplett unterschiedliche Farbdarstellung), für den ich auch schon einen anderen Beitrag erstellt. Lösung gibt es dafür natürlich keine.

Seit dem letzten Update, welches noch unübersichtlicher geworden ist, wird mein iPhone 14 Pro Max sehr heiß, sobald ich die App öffne und beginne, Bilder zu bearbeiten.

Wenn ich mir die letzten App-Bewertungen durchlese, tritt dieses Problem nun gehäuft auf. Mein iPhone erzeugt so viel Wärme, so dass es sich nach wenigen Sekunden Benutzung komplett abdunkelt. Dieses Verhalten habe ich nur bei Lightroom, alle anderen Apps auf meinem Handy funktionieren einwandfrei.

Als Problemlösung habe ich bereits den Lightroom deinstalliert und neu installiert. Leider ohne Erfolg.

Auch mit Apple habe ich bereits telefoniert, diese haben mich an Adobe verwiesen, da es sich offensichtlich um ein Lightroom Problem handelt.

Es hat nicht zufälligerweise jemanden von Euch eine Lösung oder zumindest einen Tipp? Langsam, aber sicher ist Lightroom gar nicht mehr nutzbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2023 Dec 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's almost 2024 and even though my iPad Pro 12,9 and Lightroom are up to day, this overheating issue is becoming a nuisance, how is it possible that this still happening after so many people reporting it, I regret getting it to edit, galaxy tab doesn't face this situation for example... adobe and apple are basically ignoring us. Do you guys pay adobe subscription? This is not the proper condition to use an app, so why do you even release it? Hehehehe basic QA testing ladies and gentlemen, we pay for this but you are not delivering the best experience, I will cancel this sub you should all do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2023 Dec 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget about the amount of battery it eats through, even when in standby mode

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I like to edit on my iPhone 14 Pro and it does this as well. Absolutely frustrating. I timed it, Lightroom auto dims after literally 1 minute and then it takes 3-4 minutes before the screen brightens back up after exiting out of the app. I'm ready to be done with Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uso un 14pro máx para editar y una vez que he comenzado y voy avanzando en los diferentes ajustes de la imagen el programa me tira a 0 la iluminación de la pantalla lo que me hace tener que salir del App y volver a empezar. Viene pasadome hace 1 mes aproximadamente y solo pasa con esta aplicación. Uso el equipo para jugar y para trabajar y con ninguna otra aplicación tengo este problema. Necesito ayuda con este problema porque retrasa totalmente el ritmo de trabajo y me ha causado molestias con algunos clientes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter what task, even just swiping through photos to set flags (no editing) makes iPad to get really hot and consume a lot of battery while using lightroom. I understand that rendering and advanced editing may use a lot of cpu resources, but also when browsing and rating pictures? Why? It's like playing a demanding game, no sense. Please fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteNo matter what task, even just swiping through photos to set flags (no editing) makes iPad to get really hot and consume a lot of battery while using lightroom. I understand that rendering and advanced editing may use a lot of cpu resources, but also when browsing and rating pictures? Why? It's like playing a demanding game, no sense. Please fix it!

iPad Pro 12,9 3rd generation 512gb with iPadOS 17.4
Latest Lightroom version available
Overheating while doing any task: browsing, rating, editing, rendering, importing.
Device overheating only happens while using Lightroom. Never found any other app that causes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Their engineers obviously confused "color temperature" with "temperature". ;-)... so sad that Adobe has ignored this glaring problem for so long. My latest trip last month made me decide to abandon LR full stop... got results in LR that I did not match through ACR in After Effects producing lots of unknown noise. Adobe is a joke these days... just not sure what to replace it with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

El uso de esta app en iPad Air m1 provoca Sobrecalentamiento en el dispositivo y drena la batería.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive been in contact with Adobe support about this specific issue and it's been bugging me too 

I may have a "temporary" solution though! 
we tried setting my iPhone 13 Pro Max to Power Save/Low Power and it appears to not be overheating even at full brightness! Obviously this isn't a proper fix but it does give me the idea that the problem is CPU based and when in normal mode the app will overwork the cpu by running at full speed and using full usage of the CPU the entire time which needs to be optimised and because of low power mode the cpu load is significantly cut back letting the app run properly!

hopefully it can be fixed properly soon but this seems like a viable option for now 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SxyBiscuit many thanks. So much complains and no solutions from Adobe and your advice did save me from charging my iPad everyday because of a few daily edits. I just edited a few dozen images, 2h15min screen time just for LR and my batery went from 89% to 57%. Yesterday same work mean I had to charge. Many thanks.

For Adobe: I didn't noticed performance issues with batery save mode (ok, 1-2 seconds more for rendering?), please check how the app is using the M2 chip..

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any body else having an issue with trying to edit on their phones? one minute into the edit and my screen gets so dark i can't even use the app. with all other apps quit, auto brightness turned off, even 80% battery it's happened on every iphone i've used it on and i am loosing my mind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everybody has this problem. Shame on Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And consider that I got 17 upvotes and Adobe has not piped in here to even admit there is a problem. What is wrong with them? Do their engineers have any pride? Lightroom was made by Thomas Knoll! He would be outraged. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Matt Silverman  

Regarding upvotes, see: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/bots-generating-bogus-upvotes/m-p/14210...  All or nearly all upvotes - especially on a comment are likely bogus. The community team is working with the platform team to reduce this bot traffic.

Regarding the bug and recently-posted workarounds, See @Charlie.D 's post at the top of this thread. Linked here for your convenience. 

Regarding: "Everybody has this problem. Shame on Adobe."

If this problem were as widespread as this statement maintains, there would be many more posters on this thread. This merged thread has only accumulated 18 Me-toos in 6 years. That is a small volume given the population of iOS devices running Lightroom, but a volume we take very seriously nonetheless: hence, Charlie's aforementioned post, investigatory bug report, and continuing attention.  Anecdotally, I currently test on 7 separate iOS devices dating back to 2016 and have never experienced the problem a single time. If this report weren't so hard to replicate it would be much easier for the engineers to identify, diagnose and fix.

Based on that last statement, what additional, meaningful, factual information can you add to the data that engineering collects in their investigation? 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate