• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Thinks it's found duplicates on import but is mistaken. No way to override this.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC (v1) is showing a few greyed out photos when I import from my SD card. It believes these are duplicates but they are not - I just took them this afternoon. After searching around for the filenames in my library, there are indeed other photos with the same file name (from 2013). So I'm unable to import my new photos as there's no option to ignore the suspected duplicate warnings. Lightroom Classic doesn't seem to have this problem, and allows me to import without finding these 'faux' duplicates. Perhaps it's to do with folder structure in Classic vs CC whereas the folders are all segregated in Classic and one heap in CC? Either way, even if Classic were to find duplicates, there's an option to ignore these. 
Lightroom CC needs smarter ways to detect duplicates, have the ability to override the suggestions, compare the suspected duplicates and offer a choice to rename. The suspected photos in my case are very different (apart from sharing the same file name).

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Fixed in version 1.1 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017
Hi Obocop,

Thanks for reporting this.  We are working on a fix for this issue. 

Becky

Votes

Translate

Translate
13 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Obocop,

Thanks for reporting this.  We are working on a fix for this issue. 

Becky

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When are we going to get a fix for this?
I cannot import some files from my card because LR thinks they are duplicates when they are not. Even unchecking 'Don't import suspect duplicates' doesn't let me select them!
I have clients waiting for pictures and I can't get at them, even copying the files manually to the directory and syncing doesn't work as it just doesn't seem to see them.
I don't even want to use my card again until I am certain the files are there.
Adobe have really messed up with this. I have even tried uninstalling CC Classic and still no joy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6 months and still no FIX - COME ON!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to Becky's notes from the original report, this was fixed in the 1.1 update. Is your Lightroom CC up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So - Lightroom CC v2.0 claims to have fixed that problem. IT DOES NOT.
It is still happening to me.
Dear Lightroom developers, can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add an override function for your duplicate detection?!?
Lightroom CC is right now unusable for me because EVERY TIME I go to import files, it marks about 20% as duplicates, which actually really screwed me over on a job before I noticed that this is happening!! (I lost valuable pictures in the process!!!!)

Oddly enough, the duplicate detection claims to happen based on a has value - yet, when I rename the files, it changes. So right now I need to batch rename every import to a new creative file name scheme every time I import.

The override was requested on this issue over a year ago - is it so hard to implement?

For reference, I am using a Sony A7 which is set to create a new folder on the SD card per day, and start the counting again in every folder with DSC00000.RAW.

I am trying to import on MacOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue just happend to be running the latest software
 I have a very large catalogue being a wedding photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having this issue as well.  I do timelapses and so I re-use file names regularly to keep track of what stage of processing I'm in, and even when I uncheck "don't import duplicates", it *still* will not let me import files that are clearly different, from a different date, but that simply share a name that was once imported months ago.

There needs to be a way to override this, its truly annoying and has me looking at other software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed in version 1.1 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad, I'm using Lightroom classic, not CC, I'm in the wrong forum:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! They should really allow us the option to overide this feature! At the end of the day the files are being stored on our computers and we pay top dollar for Adobe. I've been bumping into this message even on the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this issue is not fixed in the current version and I'm losing dozens of photos on each import that are being incorrectly marked as already uploaded due to filenames matching old photos. Can this be re-marked as an issue and solved? It pretty much prevents me from using Lightroom CC. As a former data management engineer it seems like the fix could be as simple as adding a more-comprehensive back-end indexing/keying system for the photos - like adding a check for capture time to the key to make the photo distinct - and it's frustrating that this issue still persists. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem in November 2022 and there is no override as there is in LRc.  This defeats a core functionality of Lightroom.  It's not a nice to have but a need to have.  Changing the file name does not work, so I can't understand what is causing the duplicate error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was already marked fixed. I suggest starting a new thread, especially since the original bug was based only on filenames.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate