• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe CC - 'Copy' the crop settings do not 'paste' as expected!

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those of us who have dreamed of an option to input numerical values for cropping images in Adobe Lightroom CC (having moved from Lightroom Classic), we have somehow managed to find ways around it. I thought selecting the 'Crop' option for my 'Edit Copy Settings' would work, however I have noticed that something unusual is happening, that I just cannot workout, and I'm not able to get the exact crop I want when exporting an image.

Let me clarify what I am trying to do, and maybe it will make my issue clearer.

I export portrait headshots regurlarly, and I need them to be very specific ratios/crops. I find a photo on my hard drive that I've already exported at (for example) 485x462px. I then find this photo inside my Library, and 'copy' the crop info. I paste it onto another photo, and export that photo. During exporting, I use the option for 'Long side' to be 485px. I would expect the output of the photo to be 485x462px, but nope, it comes out at 485x453px. This is suggesting that the crop I'm pasting is just not the ratio of the one I am copying from. In fact, I visually see this is the case, as when I paste, it seems to be in a portrait not landscape setup (although yes, it's almost a square).

Has anyone else found this to be an issue? Perhaps when it copies the Crop, it uses some kind of algorithm about the size/ratio of the 'uncropped' image (which does vary at times) and makes adjustments in respect of that. Who knows. But this is driving me nuts. 

Thanks for help in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you crop specifying only the long side, Lightroom will ensure that the long side of the image will be the specified number of pixels. However, the short side will be relative to the number of pixels in the image. In other words, if the short side of the image isn't the exact number of pixels as the previous image that you cropped then it is unlikely that the short side of a new crop using the same long side specification will be exactly the same. If you need an image with both the long side and the short side with exactly the number of pixels then you need to specify both sets of numbers. But Lightroom could only produce an image that is 485x462 pixels if the short side is long enough to produce that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply JimHess. In all my images there is way more image than I need. So I appreciate if there is not enough image, then yes, the 'short side' will not match what I want. However, let me just separate 2 terms I'm using here, which are Crop and Export.

The only time I can instruct the program to match a certain number of pixels, is during the export process. The actual 'crop' part of the workflow, really is more about the aspect ratio of the crop. So I'm copying the crop from one image (that I can only assume is the correct aspect ratio, as the 'exported' version is the correct H&W in pixels), and pasting it onto another image in Lightroom. When I export that image, again, instructing the image to match the 'long side', the short side seems to vary and is never the same every time. 

I'm questioning where and why this variation is evident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and I forgot to say (which may or may not be obvious, but even I've been slightly confused over the last couple of years, with Lightroom naming) that in Lightroom Classic, this is not an issue and I'm totally in control of that, but it is the newer Lightroom Desktop that I'm having the issue with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had to depend on exact crop dimensions when working with Lightroom. Frankly, I prefer working with Lightroom Classic because (at least for me) it seems to be more stable and much more dependable. I know there is a big user base that really likes the "new" Lightroom, and I'm not here to argue the merits of the two versions. I just prefer the "old" Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've had much more experience in the Lightroom Classic version too, and it's been quite painful attempting to move over to the Desktop/CC version. However, my job really benefits from having all the RAW images stored in an accessible Cloud where I can search for and provide any image, at any time, from any device as opposed to carrying around a number of LaCie hard drives with me at all times and running a single catalogue from one Laptop.

The cropping is essential I can export an exact image sixe to fit into the frame it must fill on a particualr Website.

Fingers crossed the cropping will start to develop more in the Desktop version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have a feature request, then best submit it on the forum provided by Adobe for features and bugs https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-desktop-cloudbased/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40874 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines