• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I use Lightroom without the Cloud?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am being forced by my company to use Lightroom. I want to keep all my photos on my harddrive. 

Can I use lightroom without uploading my photos to the cloud? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks. I appreciate all input.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Are they forcing you to use the cloud-centric Lightroom, or do they also allow the use of the Lightroom Classic app? Lightroom Classic works with locally-stored images, so would probably suit you better.

However, if you are having to use the cloud-centric version, what's the problem with uploading the images to the cloud? Yes, you can pause cloud syncing so that all the images you add will remain on a local hard drive waiting for cloud sync to be resumed in order to upload them to the cloud...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they forcing you to use the cloud-centric Lightroom, or do they also allow the use of the Lightroom Classic app? Lightroom Classic works with locally-stored images, so would probably suit you better.

However, if you are having to use the cloud-centric version, what's the problem with uploading the images to the cloud? Yes, you can pause cloud syncing so that all the images you add will remain on a local hard drive waiting for cloud sync to be resumed in order to upload them to the cloud....so if you don't resume syncing, they'll sit there on the local disk. However, doing that is rather silly as it means you have no backup for any of the edits that you do, and it also cuts you off from using LrMobile on your phones/tablets. It's just not a good idea in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also many functions are disabled without the cloud, such as the search tool.

As @Jim Wilde said, if you want nothing in the cloud, use Classic instead.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The company gave me both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom cloud...neither of which I know how to use.

Here's the scoop: I've used ACDSee as my photo organizer for years and years. I know it like the back of my hand. However the company won't let me installl it...I have to use Adobe.

With ACDSee, I worked directly with photos on my hard drive. I didn't have to upload them to new albums or folders...open ACDSee and there they were. NO cloud, which is fine.

I want to be able to access my photos without having to connect to the cloud, such as when I'm somewhere with no internet connection.

I don't care about cloud backups...once I finish editing my photo, I save it, post it to the publication I'm creating, then delete it. No will I ever need to access my photos from another device.

From what I've been able to figure out, Lightroom is NOT what I need and is a much bigger pain in the neck than what I need. Unfortunately, some IT geek that doesn't do my job has decided it's what I must use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So use Lightroom Classic.....all images are referenced from local disk storage, the cloud is optional but isn't used by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it a shot...thanks.

Quick question, though: Do I need to manually create folders and albums, or will Classic just read the file structure I already have in My Pictures?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you import the images, if you use the "Add" import option the LrC will retain the existing folder structure, though I can't say what will happen about any albums you may have created (though I don't see how they would be preserved if they're not actual folders).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thanks for the reply...I really appreciate the help.

Sorry, but I'm not an Adobe guy and trying to learn their stuff is pretty confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No worries. You can get a copy of Victoria Bampton's free Quick Start Guide to Lightroom Classic from here: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/shop/classic-quickstart/

You just need to register for her web-site (which has one of the best Lightroom forums on the web). Registration is also free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines