Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clarification of exporting Lightroom Presets to sell

New Here ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm going round the bend a bit here so hopefully someone can help me. I use presets all the time in Lightroom Classic on my desktop to edit pics - love it.

I'm wanting to start selling them, and I'm just getting so lost in the information, and therefore have run into issues.

From my understanding you can export presets in two different ways:

1) For customers who only use the free Lightroom Mobile app - you would need to provide a DNG file, and they could create a preset themselves from the settings.

2) For customers who also use Lightroom Classic and pay for a subscription - you would need to provide an XMP file and they could install it on Lightroom Classic and sync to their mobile app.

My issues are:

1) Firstly, is my understanding correct? Probably not.. if it is correct, I'll most likely provide customers with two files, a DNG file and XMP file, so they have both options - right?

2) Secondly, I'm trying to export an image with my preset settings applied as a DNG file. I've imported it into my partners mobile app (to test the process with no syncing going on). The image imports fine, but whenever I copy the settings, or create a preset from the settings, it confirms it's done that, but nothing happens when I paste the settings to another picture, or apply the preset. Nothing... nothing changes. I've tried every which way to export as a DNG, but nothing is applying any of the preset settings to my images.

Can anyone shed light on what I'm doing wrong? I feel like I'm missing something really simple....

Thanks

Charlie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

A DNG needs to be imported directly. Either using a camera connection kit on a phone, or a card reader that can connect via USB. Alternatively import into a web browser (see link below) and the DNG will then get automatically pushed to all devices using the same Adobe ID. That would require the user to have a subscription, or in-app premium features starting at $4.99 pm from iTunes or Google Play. If users only have the free mobile app they won’t have access to the web app or desktop app.

https://lightroom.adobe.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie

You are basically on the right track.

• Give people instructions how to import XMP files into the profile/presets browser in either Lightroom (cloud version) or LR Classic.
  • I assume you are creating the DNG in Lightroom Classic?

It would be best to export an un-edited photo as DNG.

Re-import the saved DNG into Classic

Apply your pre-set/slider settings and press Ctrl+S (Cmd+S) to save metadata to file.

Then from the menu choose: Photo >> Update DNG Profile & Metadata

Those steps will ensure all metadata, including copyright and slider settings will be embedded in the DNG file.

Simply go to the folder and import the DNG file into LR Mobile or send the actual DNG file to your partner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Thanks for your help, glad to know my understanding isn't far off!

Yeah I'll definitely provide instructions with the download files - once I know how to do it properly myself haha.

And yeah I'm creating the DNG file in LR Classic - I've followed your instructions, and sadly it still doesn't do anything - although I think I've found a root cause. Just to confirm what I'm doing:

- Exporting an unedited image as a DNG in LR Classic (I've tried both JPEG and RAW)

- Reimporting it back in to LR Classic and applying my preset

- Hitting Ctrl+S

- Going to Update DNG Preview & Metadata (on my version it's under the Metadata menu)

- Then I've sent the file to my partners Lightroom Mobile app

- I've tried both creating a preset, and just copying settings - nothing happens when I apply them to another image.

- The preset I created was purposely underexposed so I could really tell (as some presets are quite subtle)

What I have just noticed now however, when I show the overlay information in LR Mobile, they're being imported as JPEG's with no metadata, when the file I'm sending is clearly a DNG file. When I open the file on my Desktop, it takes me to Camera Raw with all the sliders altered.

So it's something to do with the way LR Mobile is importing the files I think? I've looked through all the settings and cannot see how to ensure an imported DNG isn't somehow converted to a JPEG, but that's what seems to be happening?

Any idea? Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A DNG needs to be imported directly. Either using a camera connection kit on a phone, or a card reader that can connect via USB. Alternatively import into a web browser (see link below) and the DNG will then get automatically pushed to all devices using the same Adobe ID. That would require the user to have a subscription, or in-app premium features starting at $4.99 pm from iTunes or Google Play. If users only have the free mobile app they won’t have access to the web app or desktop app.

https://lightroom.adobe.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you thank you!

You're right - I wasn't importing the DNG correctly - I am now using DropBox to export the DNG to my camera roll. It now works great! Which is great as I can offer a completely free method, and a method if you're paying for a subscription (xmp file way).

What was interesting however is I was originally using Adobe Creative Cloud to transfer from my desktop to my phone, and that was causing it not to work. When I switched to DropBox it works. I would have thought Adobe CC would have been able to export a DNG no problem?

Either way I've found a solution now. Thanks for your help - worked a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines