• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom Sort not working

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks so easy in all the YouTube tutorials, and sounds so easy in the instructions, but I cannot make any changes to the order of any of my albums. When I try to drag an image, all I get is the circle with the cross through it, indicating I can't do that. (I don't get the error message that I've seen in some of the YouTube tutorials.) I have made test albums that contain only images shot on the same day and coming from the same sub-folder, but still nothing. I have noted that the custom sort option in the preferences is only available for albums and not folders - the option just doesn't seem to do anything even when it's available and checked.

I'm new to LR, so possibly missing something obvious, but everything else seems so intuitive and easy that I find it hard to understand why sorting images would be so difficult.

I read in a forum for LR classic that someone had solved bugs associated with new upgrades by re-building the catalog, but if the images are located in the LR cloud, that's not going to help (or be possible), is it? I have tried uninstalling and re-installing LR, with no effect. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

I think you'll find that you cannot set a Custom Order in LRCC, but choosing that as a sort order will display any Custom Order which has been set elsewhere. At this time you can set a Custom Order on the synced collection in LR Classic, or in the synced album in LR Web, and it looks as though it should be possible in the LRCC for iOS app as well (but I've figured that out yet).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I suggest you let us know which iteration of Lr you are using: Lr Classic CC or Lr Creative Cloud (Lr CC) and the version # thereof?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest version of Lr CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I asked the version is so I could test like versions:

Lr CC does not have sort options listed in Preferences. It has:

Account

Local Storage

General

tabs with no mention of 'sort' on any of them.

There is a 'sort order' list (bottom near left) that has:

Import Date

Modified Date

Star Rating

Reverse Order

but NO 'custom sort'

May I suggest that some of the videos/tutorials you refer to are for using Lr Classic CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I noted in my OP, the custom sort option shows up for albums, but not for folders.

Yes, some of the videos and tutorials were for Lr Classic or earlier versions - that's the reason I posted here. I can't find anything for the current version other than the help menu, which says to do exactly what the videos and tutorials tell me to do.

I can't believe that the capacity to arrange images in a preferred order is something that would have dropped in any version. I presume that I have encountered a bug - what I was hoping for was that either I am missing something basic that more experienced users take for granted, or that someone has found a fix for this particular bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr CC has no sort order(s) other than:

Import Date

Modified Date

Star Rating

Reverse Order

at this time.

Please be aware that it's version # is ONLY 1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not correct. If you create an album, an option to Custom Sort shows up between Star Rating and Reverse Order when you view the images in that album. If you view any of the options under My Photos (All Photos, Recently Added, or By Date) or a Folder created under the Albums heading, the custom sort option isn't there. That's fine, and similar to earlier versions where you couldn't sort folders which contained sub-folders. You had to go to the sub-folder level to custom sort - now you can only custom sort within an album.

The problem is not that the option doesn't exist (it would be crazy for Adobe not to provide a custom-sort option, version 1.1 notwithstanding) - the issue is that the option isn't working, at least not for me. I would like to know if it's working as expected for anyone else, or if anyone else has found a way to make it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you'll find that you cannot set a Custom Order in LRCC, but choosing that as a sort order will display any Custom Order which has been set elsewhere. At this time you can set a Custom Order on the synced collection in LR Classic, or in the synced album in LR Web, and it looks as though it should be possible in the LRCC for iOS app as well (but I've figured that out yet).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim, I had noted that selecting Custom Sort changes the order and assumed that there was some way to control the nature of that change.

I didn't know about LrWeb, thanks for that. Custom sort works as expected there, and it makes sense if an album is to be shared that the order can be set before the link is sent. However, the new custom sort is not reflected in the LrCC app when I go back to that, even if I refresh LrWeb after changing the order and even if I close and re-open the program.

What I was hoping to be able to do eventually is to save my edited images from lightroom in a particular order so that I can then access the saved jpegs for use in a photobook, with the order of those jpegs set in Lr - though it occurs to me now that that won't work even if I could create the custom sort I'm looking for since the order will just revert to the standard date or name order once I've saved the edited images to my HD. Still, it would be good to be able to work on the images in my preferred order. Do you know of a way in which the order set in LrWeb can be reflected in the LrCC app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should happen automatically....it takes about 20 seconds for a change in the order in LR Web to change in LRCC on my system. Just make sure that you've not got syncing paused in LRCC, and that you've still got Custom Order selected (it doesn't show what order's selected until you click on the sort order icon).

LRWeb is worth investigating, it's a little gem. I use it to create special "shares" (very like Spark) to add text to the images to "tell the story", then share that to family and friends. A bit more interesting that just sending a link to the album.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, got it now! I just had to click reverse order in LrCC - it does indeed update, I was just getting confused by seeing the order back to front.

Thanks so much. Agreed, LrWeb looks excellent and potentially very useful. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a web page that explains what LrWeb is? I could not find one on Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is my problem with Adobe.   They outsourced, Agile, and lost any idea of what their own software is even doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've spent a lot of time setting up an album with a custom sort order exactly how I want it (using Mobile CC). However, when I share this album to a web gallery, it isn't displaying in the proper order. It defaults to the 'reverse' custom order I created. (Also the case for the web version of CC). It looks like there should be a simple solution - just click on the "reverse order" icon (oddly available ONLY in the web gallery, but NOT on the web version of CC - Adobe really needs to get their act together and create feature parity across the mobile, desktop and web version of CC. But I digress...) However, clicking on this icon does NOT reverse the order - it just seems to scramble it. What is going on and how can I fix this? I've had the proper order show up in the past, so I know it can work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the album is set to custom order in LRCC desktop you can usually drag the photos into any order in the cloud by logging-in to your web app using a browser. That custom order should then be reflected in the desktop app and on all devices. On phones & tablets the custom order can be changed by clicking the three dots and clicking the arrow icon next to custom sort.

Use the link below to log-in to your web app. Click any thumbnail (top-right) to add a checkmark and then drag and drop to change position.

https://lightroom.adobe.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've just described how to create a custom order. I already know how to do that (as stated above). My complaint is that this custom order is NOT reflected in the web gallery (the public-facing version of my photos). If you have a fix for that problem, I'm all ears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it seems to work for me. When I create a link to make the album public the images remain in the custom order set in the desktop app. In fact I can see the order of the tiny thumb representations under the general tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, at least it's working for you - that's something. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing the same behavior (which is especially frustrating). It doesn't appear that I'm the only one having this problem - hopefully they'll finally fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. I really think future updates should include the ability to drag images into a custom order in the desktop app and mobile apps. Not just in the web app. I'm sure its coming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem appears to be completely different from my problem. I have absolutely no problem dragging images to create a custom order using the mobile app - that's the tool I used to create the custom order I'm talking about. If you're still not able to do this with the mobile version, you should make sure you're using the latest update. I agree that they should add this capability to the desktop app - it's very strange that the different versions (mobile, web, desktop) have such different capabilities. It's leading to a lot of customer confusion, never a good thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Android not iOS and there are differences between the two. iOS is more likely to get new features first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that sucks. I hadn't even thought about the differences between Android and iOS - another source of feature fragmentation that they really need to solve for their "should be the same everywhere" cloud product. I'm sure it will get better in the future, but for now this is very poor product management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shawn,

I came across your post in the Adobe forum. I wonder did you find a solution as I am having the same problem. I create web albums to share but the images appear in a random order, not like the order they are in in the desktop gallery. There doesn't seem to be any way of reordering them on the web.

Thanks

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. I will get an order on Lightroom CC eg. Sorted by Capture Date, but when I share the album the link displays the photos in 'Custom Order' only, even when I have not set that up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, still happening in 2023.   what gives?  My album has less than 500 photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines