• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edits disappear

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit a photo, export it to a separate file, and when I go back sometimes it's the original picture and I've lost all my edits!

This never happened before in previous versions.

I'm still very new to Lightroom but something is amiss...

Can someone help me?

Thank you...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

There is a bug in Lightroom where edits are lost if you quit Lightroom with the edited image still in the main window. The work around is to switch to another image, or switch to grid view, before you quit Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a bug in Lightroom where edits are lost if you quit Lightroom with the edited image still in the main window. The work around is to switch to another image, or switch to grid view, before you quit Lightroom.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh....
Thank you SO MUCH!!!
Makes since you me.
Very much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has now happened to me several times.   When I go to my original file, all edits and versions are gone.  Despite trying to be careful, everyone will sooner or later exit before going to gridview.  This is a catastrophic "bug".  I cannot understand how, now over one year after the original post, the "bug" is still there.  If I try to synchronize with Lightroom Classic, and then if the "bug" happens again in Lightroom, will the loss of edits and versions also be synched to Classic?  If so, what is the best backup scheme to allow salvage when this "mistake" is made?  Of course, best would be to fix the "bug".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug mentioned in this old thread was fixed long ago. Please start a new thread for your problem, that makes more sense.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan, your reply deserves a response.

Today, magically, my photo with my missing edits reappeared.  No explanination.  It has happened to me several times now.  It was with this most recent disappearance that I decided to speak up.  Then I found your post.  Why I found no other, I cannot explain, but to your credit, you raised the issue.

Unfortunately, as you point out, this issue was not my issue.  It likely deserves a separate post--I cannot believe that my instance is the only instance.  My explaination:  this occurs on the cloud service.  Cloud services are server based.  An error occurs on the server and everything disappears.  Somehow Adobe is aware of this situation, and there is some kind of rescue software that in the background, eventually finds the error and corrects it.  All of this is just me guessing.  Maybe that is what you mean when you say, "makes sense".  I would not want to guess.  Please give people credit for observing and reporting real problems.  If you listen, most of it does "make sense", you just didn't bother to find out the facts.  

Moderator: <improper comment deleted>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your issue may be related to: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-edits-made-to-smart-previews-after-initial-s... 

Review this thread and see if it fits with what you are seeing. 

Regarding: "Somehow Adobe is aware of this situation, and there is some kind of rescue software that in the background, eventually finds the error and corrects it." - Where did you get this incorrect information?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A few words before the words you are quoting, "This is my explaination...".   I am just guessing.  I didn't get any information anywhere.  But consider.  Suddenly a photo with extensive edits disappears from my screen.  I believe this occured after making an edit and/or viewing the "F" full screen, then trying to return it to the Grid. The Grid was of a Portfollio.  The image was no longer in the Grid in the Porfolio.  I went to All Photos and found the "original".  It was devoid of all edits.  No indication that it had ever been touched, yet I had spent many hours working on it.   This was the worst instance of this "occurance".  It happened several times before.  In most instances, the Grid showed an error message saying that it could not download the edits because another computer was busy with it.  I assumed this meant your server.  The message offered to allow me to start again with my edits.  I assumed that if I accepted this offer, I would lose all of my prior edits.  I chose to wait.  In each instance, several days later, without notice or explaination, my orginal edited view appeared complete with my latest edits. I am not an expert on these things, but know enought to surpmise that an error had occured on your end; the file was somehow sequestered; then, at some later date, an error was corrected, and the file was returned to me.  This could not have been by accident.  It had nothing to do with internet delay.   This was an organized and well executed process that corrected a problem, albaeit, several days later.  My business does not depend on these files, though I did spend several days in anguish in each instance.  With this latest episode, I had made the decision that Adobe Cloud services was unreliable and probably not suited for my purposes. I tried to find a problem on your Community services, so for completely unsuccessfully.  Your suggested post was totally off the mark.  I am now trying to see how I can move my work elsewhere, or systematically back it up so that when the next instance happens, and seeing now the lack of knowlage of my problem I can predict that it will, I can at leqast salvage my latest back up, assuming that the error is not backed up destroying even that version. 

I considered syncing with Lightroom Classic.  This would be the first level of backup.  But the backup must be with permission, since the above described error might be automatically transmitted to my Classic files, thus destroying my undamaged backup.  Still up in the air on this.  One point:  I believe that there may be a connection with the latest AI upgrades, which greatly complicated my prior edits, in some cases duplicating them several times for each image.  That might "gum up" the works, and it certainly lengthens processes.  But in fairness, the first instances occured even before the AI releases, so I thing the problem lies elsewhere.  One thing is certain.  The problem will not be fixed until you accept that there is a problem and address it.  So far, I have been accused of being Illogical, and of not reading off the mark posts.  That won't fix anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lawrencea8893479 wrote:

Please give people credit for observing and reporting real problems.  If you listen, most of it does "make sense", you just didn't bother to find out the facts.  

I think you totally misunderstood what I was saying. I suggested that you report your findings in a separate thread, so it will get the attention it deserves. I suggested that this makes more sense than posting it as a 'revival' of an old thread, about an (unrelated) problem that has been fixed. I did not say that your report of the problem did not make sense!! Starting a new thread makes it a lot more likely that people will read your post carefully, and not simply dismiss it as a post by somebody who does not keep his software up to date. As others have now picked up this discussion too, I now withdraw that suggestion. There is obviously no need for it anymore.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines