• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting from Lightroom

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although only using lightroom for 12 months,(on a Mac) I have become confident in using for my purpose.   Saving images, cropping and changing light etc.  I have exported them successfully, with the changes,  and gone onto use in prints, photobooks etc.      In the last few weeks I have been unable to export an image after making changes.  The image exports as the original, without changes.    I have read through this help community and watch tutorials and following instructions.   Despite doing everything as I should the image is not exporting with changes made.    I have read some of the help topics and must confess some are way over my head.     Is there a fix to this problem?

Many thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the export settings to make sure you've not specified "Original + Settings" in the "File Type" option of the Settings dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Jim, yes, I have gone through several tutorial videos and instructions to check, double check and triple check the settings.     Having used it very successfully for some time I am at a loss why it now seems unachievable.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the excat same issue....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you both post a screenshot of your export settings, together with screenshots of both the edited image and the exported image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Many thanks for looking at this,   

I attach screenshots.   

When first using, approx 12 months, I always used the "Original + Settings" option.   When using this now it exports the original without the crop / adjusments.

I encoutered on a way to export with the changes using "file" "export", which although succesful is a longer process than previoulsy used of the export symbol and "Original + Settings" 

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the screenshots. The problem is that Lightroom is a non-destructive editor, which basically means that the original image is never changed....all the edits that you make, including crop, are only stored in the catalog. Internally, Lightroom generates previews to include the edit adjustments, which is what you see on the screen.....but if you were to look at the original image outside Lightroom you would only see the unedited image. 

When you export using "Original + Settings" Lightroom basically copies the original (unedited) image and then attaches the edit instructions. How they are "attached" depends on the original's file-type: a proprietary Raw file will have the edits included in an XMP "sidecar" file, which is a small file created alongside the exported original copy with the same base file-name with the .XMP file extension. For all other file-types, such as Jpeg, DNG, Tiff, PSD, the edits are written directly into the XMP section of the exported original copy.....but the underlying image data is never changed from the original. If you subsequently open the exported file in an image viewer the probability is that the viewer will not be able to understand and apply the Lightroom edits, so you will always see the unedited image. Import that exported file into Lightroom or Photoshop and you WILL see the edits instructions applied.

So, if you want to use the exported image in a non-Adobe application, you need to choose a different export option. Depending on what you are using the exported file for, Jpg is probably the most common export file-type. All of the file-types apart from "Original + Settings" will "bake" the edit adjustments into the output file, making the changes visible in any photo viewer.

Using File>Export still exports in the same way, however the UI is a little different, so I suspect you are leaving the File Type in the export options set to Jpg, which as mentioned will have the adjustments baked in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, it doesn't export my edit AND it export in JPEG instead of RAW. Super frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines