• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

face recognition done in cloud?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using the cloud version of lightroom on Mac.  question-  if i close the app, is face recognition continuing in the cloud in background, or is it paused while i'm not accessing?  i have thousands and thousands of pictures, and i know it takes time to go through them all looking for faces.  must i leave the app open in my mac for it to continue grinding?  is there a limit to the number of faces that can be detected and presented for me to name or hide as necessary?  do i try for legendary uptime, or can i shut down my computer as necessary?  lightroom blows away apple photos and even microsoft photos with speed that amazes me, and the latter two apps barely work on my photos, of which i have over a terabyte over four generations of family.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What makes you think that the Face Recognition analysis hasn't already been done? I don't know for sure (hopefully an Adobe engineer could confirm), but I would think it's done in the cloud rather than in the local app. Bear in mind that all those "thousands and thousands" of pictures must be uploaded to the cloud (slowly), so I would have thought each image could be analysed as soon as it arrives in the cloud (there's no stop/start switch for face recognition in the cloud version of Lightroom).

One thing to understand about Lightroom's face recognition....it only shows faces to be named in the People view when it detects at least 5 instances of a face across the catalog (to try to prevent the view being swamped by unwanted faces from crowd scenes, etc.). Once a face has been named, however, it will always appear in the People view, even if there are less than 5 photos containing that face. To name a face that doesn't appear in the People view, because it has less than 5 instances, you would need to find an image containing that face, click on the Keywords tab (lower-right) and the people sections appears above the keywords in the right-hand panel. Any faces detected in that image will be shown and can be named at that point (if there are multiple faces on the image, hovering over the small icons in the list will show a rectangle over the corresponding face on the actual image, so that you can correctly match the name to the right person).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines