• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I set a custom aspect ratio?

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Lightroom and I want to set a custom aspect ratio. I see that I can do it manually, by specifying 'custom' in the crop window, but I want to use an exact width to height ratio. My friend tells me this is easy in Classic Lightroom, because there are fields to enter the ratio, but I don't see any in the 'all new' Lightroom.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Have you not seen the updates to v4.3?

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/using/whats-new/2021-3.html#crop

2021-06-11 10_13_20-New and enhanced features _ June 2021 release of Lightroom — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

And do you know that 6x4 is the same as 3x2? (and 12x8, 24x16,etc)

And keyboard [X] rotates the crop aspect Horizontal<>Vertical   3x2<>2x3.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

New Crop options in the June 2021 v4.3 Update-

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggestion is to wait until they hopefully "enhance" the crop tool sometime in the future. The custom setting simply allows you to move the crop area around and resize it on the image area right now. There isn't a way provided to specify a definite numeric ratio. If you want all the benefits available in Classic then use Classic. It's a much more powerful and friendly tool right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Jim

It's 2 years later now, right, and this function is still not available. Do you know any more about enhancing the crop tool? To my mind, this is an absolut basic function - especially because the drop down choice is not veery big.

I am using Lightroom Cloud V 3.0 on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree.  The fact that there is no way to get a set landscape ratio - 2x1 or 3x1 - is absolutely horrendous! At least put more presets in!!!!!  It would take your engineers 5 mintues to code in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!! It's 2021 now and THEY STILL CAN'T DO THIS... easiest function to add ever. So many clients request 4x6 prints and I can't make sure they're cropped that way because of this absurdly hamstrung crop tool outdone by free programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you not seen the updates to v4.3?

2021-06-11 10_13_20-New and enhanced features _ June 2021 release of Lightroom — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

And do you know that 6x4 is the same as 3x2? (and 12x8, 24x16,etc)

And keyboard [X] rotates the crop aspect Horizontal<>Vertical   3x2<>2x3.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, the 6x4/3x2 was a major brain fart on my part haha... but I have run into many other instances where I needed a precise, custom ratio. And thank you, I did just upgrade to 4.3 -- Adobe has finally heeded this feature request after 4 years of people complaining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's so ridiculous. I'm a pro photographer and I have to open Photoshop just because Lightroom doesn't have this custom crop (type-in ratio) feature...

In today's landscape, people use different types of displays...in order to make professional wallpapers, you'll need to be able to type in the crop number.
The monitor I'm using right now, for example, uses 2560x1080, which is 21x9, which is not included in the preset. And if I just hit "custom crop" I'll have to eyeball it. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am NOT a professional photographer, far from it. But as I look at where Lightroom is headed and compare it with Lightroom Classic I kind of consider Lightroom as a "Lightroom lite". It seems to me that it has been designed more for a different type of user, one who wants to quickly share images on social media, and who isn't concerned about printing images, but wants a few decent editing tools. If someone is really serious about photography, from my perspective it seems only logical they would want to use Lightroom Classic. Disagree as you will. That's just the way I look at the two different versions of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cropping to more than a few arbitrary presets is hardly a professional or even a prosumer feature....come on...

Given the limited cross-talk between applications it's not acceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came across this discussion as I have recently migrated from lightroom 6. How is this function still not available? I'd agree with the suggestion to use lightroom lite if that software was available in all plans. 

Has anyone found an easy way to do this?

The way I am looking to do it is use previous files and copy/paste the crop setting. Really not ideal considering the montly cost of the plans....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so crazy! why  wouldn't they just include this simple but yet  effective feature. 

even the latest ACR allows you input custom aspect ratio. 

I'm still sticking with Bridge > ACR for the time being 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cropping to a specific aspect ratio is a critical feature for a photo editing software. It's unacceptable that Adobe hasn't fixed this and so many basic features in lightroom, especially after causing so much pain in migrating from LR classic years ago with the promise of making it better. Fix it and charge more, or unbundle this product. Don't withhold obvious and easy features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a feature request, then best submit it on the forum provided by Adobe for features and bugs https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-desktop-cloudbased/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40874 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Crop options in the June 2021 v4.3 Update-

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 and still not an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was added last year - please see the correct answers at the top of this thread @default7dz5etjq2u0a 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's still not available in both Lightroom Web and Lightroom Mobile.
I'm simply not able to enter custom aspect ration, I need to choose from predefined ones

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually yes now it is there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this be basic function be added to Lightroom for iPad or do I have to wait a few more years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Added in Lightroom-Mobile (for iPad) There is a 'Custom' setting but (I find on my iPhone) does not allow entering a custom ratio, only a Freehand crop becomes available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Guessing that "a few more years" was the answer.. 

I have to wait being back at home, and open the MacBook just to do 3x1 crop

MacBook Pro 16’’ M1 Pro 16GB on OSX Ventura 13.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update here? I still do not see a way to set a custom aspect ratio. This is a pretty basic option to request 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow-up to above, a poster says there is a "Enter Custom" option... I do not see it in my program. I am running Lightroom 7.4.2. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Custom" is there - in your screen-clip:

2022-08-10 15_36_41-Solved_ Re_ How do I set a custom aspect ratio_ - Adobe Support Community - 9475.jpg

But: TBMK and as stated above "does not allow entering a custom ratio, only a Freehand crop becomes available."

You can only drag the border handles to achieve any 'crop', but setting an exact Ratio (other that the provided 'preset' ratios)  for a custom crop is only in the Desktop version of Lightroom v5.4.

Screen-clip from Lightroom-Desktop v5.4:

2022-08-10 15_42_29-Solved_ Re_ How do I set a custom aspect ratio_ - Adobe Support Community - 9475.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines