• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how save mask changes to image

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using mask facility in Lightroom I have made adjustments to an image using one layer.  I can see the changes on screen but when I click on edits to make global I lose the mask changes.  I am obviously missing a step.  Can some tell what the steps are.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be more specific about the exact steps in your workflow?

Are you actually changing the Adjustment sliders for the Tool that is active with the mask?

Do you then [Close] the Masking panel to make 'Global' edits to the image?

"One Layer"- Do you mean 'one Tool Mask'?

"...click on edits to make global.." -  Do you mean to return to 'regular' Edits?

Rob_Cullen_0-1646879957071.png

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just used my ipad to make mask using  brush.  On the ipad there is a done button which I click before moving onto the global edits so the changes made using mask are still visible when I make global edits.   There is no done button on my mac lightroom panel so how do I get to the same point on my mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no done button from the mask panel in Lightroom on the computer. It is confusing. I wish all the apps worked the same, but they are each slightly different. The edit is committed as soon as you make it though. You don't need a done button. Just click on the edit icon to switch back to global edits. If you want to return to the mask, click on the mask icon and the mask will still be there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot see the edit when I go back to global edits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you make an edit, or just create a mask? Try it again with a really drastic edit that is easy to see. It should still be there when you switch back to global edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is doing this as well!  Even after I click "done" the mask disappears, although it says it is still there.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely you make the same mistake as most people who report a problem like this: you think that the mask itself and its 'mask overlay' is the adjustment. That is not true. A mask is a way for Lightroom to apply adjustments to only some parts of the image. The mask defines those parts, so for example only the sky. The mask overlay is not that adjustment, it's just a way of seeing the mask. So if you do not make any adjustments using the sliders in the mask panel, then the mask will not do anything to the image and so it seems to disappear when you click 'Done'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very confusing. I cannot figure out how to get the iverlay to the photo showing the Black Background which I have chosen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Overlay never gets applied to the photo. Even if you set a Black overlay, it is still only showing you where the image will be adjusted with the Mask sliders.

eg. You might have a black mask over a selected area. If you want the selected area 'black' in the image then you could try decreasing the Light>Exposure slider (-4.0 stops?). But basically Lightroom is of no use to totally replace a background (eg. to 'total Black'), This is a job for Photoshop, etc.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines