Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to delete files from disk in lightroom

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm a new Lightroom CC user after having used Lightroom 5 for many years. I am really struggling to figure out how to delete rejected photos not only from Lightroom CC, but from my computer hard disk as well.

My usual workflow is to flag the photos I wish to delete as 'rejected', then go to All Photos, filter for 'rejected', then delete.  I assumed it was deleting the files on the hard drive as well (like Lightroom 5 used to do), but that is not happening as all the files are still there.

Is deleting from disk possible with Lightroom CC?

Please help, my hard drive is filling up fast with files!

Thank you,

Marla

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

I might have found the answer (after several hours of searching). Looks like when you "add" photos to Lightroom CC, they're automatically uploaded to the cloud at full resolution. It doesn't simply reference a file on your computer like Lightroom Classic CC. So, when you "delete" the photos, it's deleting them from the cloud, not your computer. So in essense, I don't think you can delete them off your disk through Lightroom CC.

My current work around is this. I add all the photos to Lightroom CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question and it's driving me INSANE! I know there are two options, "Delete photo" and "Remove photo". When I click "Delete photo" I get the scary modal saying it will permanently delete the photo from everywhere, but it doesn't! The original files are still in my DropBox folder.

In a possibly similar event, if I manually delete the photo from my DropBox, it actually still shows up in Lightroom. I can still edit and download it, as if the file is still there. It makes me think Lightroom is creating duplicate files, but I can't find any import options to stop it from doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might have found the answer (after several hours of searching). Looks like when you "add" photos to Lightroom CC, they're automatically uploaded to the cloud at full resolution. It doesn't simply reference a file on your computer like Lightroom Classic CC. So, when you "delete" the photos, it's deleting them from the cloud, not your computer. So in essense, I don't think you can delete them off your disk through Lightroom CC.

My current work around is this. I add all the photos to Lightroom CC and do my normal "reject photos" process. I then delete all the rejected photos so I have my keepers. I then download the keepers to my disk in a new folder at full resolution, and delete the original folder which contains all the rejected images. Incredibly annoying, I know.

I discovered this at the end of Step 2 in the following article: Adobe Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is correct. When you use Lightroom CC instead of Classic, when you import/add images, they get copied to a temporary space on your hard disk. They then get uploaded to the cloud. After a while, and only when you have reached the local storage limit set inside the program it will delete the local copies in the temporary storage but the original files that you imported from are never deleted by Lightroom no matter what you do in the program. There is no link with the files that you imported from originally.

My current work around is this. I add all the photos to Lightroom CC and do my normal "reject photos" process. I then delete all the rejected photos so I have my keepers. I then download the keepers to my disk in a new folder at full resolution, and delete the original folder which contains all the rejected images. Incredibly annoying, I know.

Your workflow would be much better served by using Lightroom Classic than Lightroom CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there is no possibility then to remove them from Lightroom CC and hard-disk through LIghtroom CC?
You'd have to swap to classic?
Would be a lot easier and faster if you could simply delete rejected photos in lightroom CC and have the option to remove them from your disk as well. Instead your backtracking constantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I tried downloading pictures from online and the download button appears only for invididual pictures. when I try to select more files, i don't see the download button. only things like share, remove, delete.

how do you download more than one picture?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Bridge works for me.

1. Take Photos

2. Import and Review, and Cleanup via Adobe Bridge

3. Import into Adobe CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just tried. Thank you! Reviewing and deleting RAW in Bridge is quick and easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reference link you provided is a dead link. 

LR used to help me in my workflow by deleting unwanted photos not only from my catalog but also from disk.  This was a critical part of my workflow to ensure I was in fact deleting "dud" photos from the source so it would free up disk space and simply get rid of unwanted photos.  Having just moved to the subscription based CC this is a huge downgrade for me since I manage large amounts of images in lightroom.  The Run As Administrator does not work, the ctrl+shift+alt+del does not work.  There are not obvious options, using LR to permanently delete images in my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly I think you all are right. My workflow at the moment:

1. Import files into Lightroom Classic to be able to browse and reject swiftly.

2. Delete files from Lightroom and disk.

3. Import remaining files into CC

I wish CC had similar function as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have "Adobe Lightroom", not Classic or CC. So I don't know the nuances but the bottom line looks like we are captive in order for us to fill up our storage allotment with images we don't want, and have to pay for it! I hope I'm wrong because I have only ever used Lightroom and don't want to start over on another system, never mind abandoning 12,000 images!

There must be a work-around, surely! Oh, and one more thing, the LR icon has disappeared from the dock which is also worrying, I have to Google search Lightroom each time I open my computer!

@paulshutter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines