• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to view originals on computer using Lightroom (not the classic version)

New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, lovely community! I enjoy Lighroom but have run into a snag when it comes to viewing/editing the Original files vs. the Smart Previews. I'm on Windows 10 and Lighroom is up to date.

My previous workflow worked as desired. I would upload new photos to Lightroom using the "Add Photos" button, then add them directly from my SanDisk memory card. My photo cache was set to 25% (140 Gb) and "Store a copy of the original files locally" option was not selected. Anytime I wanted to view the full resolution file (the Original), I simply viewed the image in "Detail" view mode and it automatically displayed the Original (full res) file after a second or two. (I'm asssuming that second or two was to download the full res version from cloud storage, but I could be mistaken.)

My new workflow is the same, except I am now storing a copy of the original files on an external SSD drive. I did this by going to Preferences > Local Storage > and selecting "Store Copy of All Originals at the Specified Location." My specified location is my external SSD, and everything is currently backed up to it. But after selecting this option and backing everything up, I can no longer view the Original on my computer automatically unless the external SSD is attached to my laptop. But I don't want to have the external SSD always attached to my laptop and floppying around, of course. If I wanted the Originals always connected to my computer, I would have instead chosen my computer's hard drive vs. the external drive.

Currently, when I go to "Information" for a particular photo, I see the following:

With the external drive attached: 

- Local: Original - RAF

- Cloud: Original - RAF

Without the external drive attached, I see:

- Local: Smart Preview

- Cloud: Original - RAF

The Smart Previews are fine and all, but I want to always be viewing the original files when reviewing/editing photos on my computer (or phone for that matter). This is how things worked before I started using the external SSD last week.

Does anyone know what's causing my issue, and how I can resolve it so that I'm always viewing the Originals (from the cloud) when I'm on a computer, even when the external SSD isn't attached?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Android , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could up the photo cache or store the album that you are working on locally. Either of these though would take up more space on your local disc (although the Store Album Locally option would be the preferred option obviously as it would only affect that Album)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Lightroom needs to show you the full size image, it needs to download the original or use the already downloaded original. To do this is needs the cache, and you have set that cache to be located on the external drive. That means Lightroom needs that external drive to be present when you want to view the image at 100%. If the drive is disconnected, I believe that Lightroom will zoom no further than smart preview size.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there actually an issue? My understanding, and it works this way on my system, is that when the external drive that contains the specified location for downloaded originals is offline, you should receive the following amber warning:

snap1.png

That's basically telling you that if your system is still online, the originals WILL be downloaded whenever required (which is either zooming to 100% or starting to edit).

You may of course have previously checked the "Don't Show Again" box.

In this situation, if I look at an image in the Detail mode, using Fit view, and display the info panel, I do indeed see this:

snap2.png

However, if I then zoom to 100% I initially see a blurry image (the smart preview upscaled to 1:1 size) then a few seconds later the image firms up as expected and the Info tab shows this:

snap3.png

So, as stated by the warning message, Lightroom does re-download a copy of the original when needed if the specified originals location is not available (presumably it is stored in the local library on the system drive).

Have you actually checked by zooming to 100% on an image and waiting a few seconds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi JohanElzenga,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I still get that notification message, but it's not true that the computer originals get downloaded in my situation.

Lightroom on my computer doesn't download the original when zooming in to 100% or any amount, nor when editing. It's always a Smart Preview.

The issue only occurs on my computer. My phone downloads the Original almost instantly. Unless the hard drive is plugged in, the computer is always a Smart Preview, regardless of zooming or editing.

I've seen similar issues from others reported online, but no resolution.

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines