• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm completely confused with Lightroom cloud and local storage.

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not very tech savvy, and I'm just trying to use Lightroom to edit my photos.

I mainly use the Android app on my phone, and occasionally my PC.

A few weeks ago I got the message that I've filled up my 20gb of cloud storage, and no amount of deleting in my Android App, my PC App or on the Creative Cloud can change this.

I seem to have a Lightroom folder on my PC with 21gb of data, but I can't directly access any photos like I would on my Windows OS Pictures folders. ie individual thumbnailed files.

I think all my photos are backed up on my phone, but I cannot be sure.

So...that's two local storage places that my photos might be backed up to, but Adobe doesn't make this clear.

To really be on the safe side, I'd like to save all my photos again on to my external drive, but I can't confidentally do this.

Incidentally, on my Android App I thought I'd try 'Select All' and see what it would let me do.

It won't let me do much, and when I click 'Export As' hoping that I would have some further options, it just starts 'Exporting' without saying where it's exporting to.

Also, if I decided to use blind trust that my photos are safely backed up, and to delete all photos in the cloud, it seems that I can't just 'select all' and delete them.

(Much as I can't 'select all' and then move them to my external drive.)

Excuse the capitals, but I AM REALLY SURPRISED AND FED UP WITH ADOBE AND HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO DO SIMPLE HOUSEKEEPING TASKS.

Excuse this muddled post, but in sum, I want to,

1. Make sure my Lightroom photos are stored in my PC's hard drive.
  2. Make a failsafe copy on my external drive.
  3. Make sure my Lightroom photos are stored on my Android phone.
  4. And then I want to delete everything off my Creative Cloud.

Hopefully after that I can use Lightroom properly.

At the moment, photos on my Android app aren't showing on my PC.

What an irritating app?!?

Ta, Peter

TOPICS
Android , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of "Lightroom" have you been using on your Windows system? Version number please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6.1 x64 [ 20221207-0956-730bf3f ] (Dec 7 2022)

I only upload photos to Lightroom that I want to edit, instead of uploading everything as I once did.

But these uploads aren't getting to my Desktop app.

If my photos are definitely saved on my PC, or my phone, then I'd try to completely delete everything in the cloud.

Unfortunately Adobe shroud everything in mystery, so I don't know whether my photos are safe.

I'm guessing that they are saved to my PC's hard drive, but I can only access them through the app.

And the only record on my hard drive is 'Lightroom Catalogue.'

I'm getting old and the term 'user friendly' doesn't seem to be relevant anymore.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6.1 x64 [ 20221207-0956-730bf3f ] (Dec 7 2022)

I only upload photos to Lightroom that I want to edit, instead of uploading everything as I once did.

But these uploads aren't getting to my Desktop app.

By @Ted24394996lse7

I'm not clear on this. Which Lightroom app are you uploading images into, and what "Desktop app" are you trying to sync them into?

In all probabilty you have used up your allowance and so subsequent imports aren't able to sync to the cloud. That's easy enough to deal with if you also use Lightroom Classic, but not so easy if you only use the Lightroom apps. So clarify that for us, and we'll try to help you figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, and Thanks,

As I've suggested, there's a problem with my lack of tech savviness, and subsequent confusion.

I realise I've used up my 20gb of Cloud Storage, and I don't even know how to deal with this.

I've spent weeks deleting photos on my phone app, my PC app, and on the Creative Cloud website.

But still my Cloud Storage is full.

I only upload particular photos to Lightroom on my phone now, and these no longer show up on my PC app for further editing.

I would like to be confident that my important photos are saved on my phone, and my PC, which I think they are, but it isn't clear to an idiot like me.

If they are safely saved, then I'd like to delete all photos on the cloud.

(It isn't clear how I go about this though)

I'm sorry this sounds so muddled, but it's not my fault that there's Lightroom Classic (not used), and Lightroom CC on my PC, plus Lightroom on my phone, and additionally a stash of photos in the cloud somewhere.

Adobe doesn't like to keep things simple, or understandable, and it doesn't seem to like explaining things.

Hence I'm here begging for help.

I may be a bear of very little brain, but in my defence, my interest is photography, not computing or IT.

Thanks anyway, for reading my post and replying.

Ta, P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sorry this sounds so muddled, but it's not my fault that there's Lightroom Classic (not used), and Lightroom CC on my PC, plus Lightroom on my phone, and additionally a stash of photos in the cloud somewhere.

By @Ted24394996lse7

If you're not using Lightroom Classic it's likely that you purchased the wrong subscription plan. There are two basic plans, each costing $9.99 per month:

1. The Photography Plan (which you appear to have subscibed to), which includes Lightroom Classic, Lightroom desktop app, Photoshop, Lightroom Mobile and 20GB of cloud storage. This plan is intended for those who primarily want to use the Lightroom Classic app as their main image editor and organiser, whilst still having the possibility to integrate Lightroom Mobile into their worklow (using the small 20GB cloud storage allowance). The Lightroom desktop app would typically not be used (it's primarily included in this plan to give the user the chance to test it to see if they might prefer to use it instead of Lightroom Classic).

2. The Lightroom Plan: includes the Lightroom desktop app, Lightroom Mobile, and 1TB of cloud space. Intended for those users who do not want to use Lightroom Classic, and are happy to store all their images in the cloud and to have Adobe manage them. So, if you don't want to use Lightroom Classic (or Photoshop) this is the plan you should have subscribed to. If that's the case, once your current issues are resolved, you should consider asking Adobe to switch your subscription to this plan. Having 1TB of cloud space will likely stop any subsequent storage issues.

I would like to be confident that my important photos are saved on my phone, and my PC, which I think they are, but it isn't clear to an idiot like me.

It's not clear to me why you think that they are stored on your PC. If you don't use Classic, it is possible that you had enabled the option to store a copy of all originals locally (in the Lightroom Preferences>Local Storage tab)....but if you delete your images from either LrMobile or Lightroom desktop, those local copies would also be deleted eventually.

So, let's figure out what you do still have in the cloud. Using a browser window, open lightroom.adobe.com and login using your normal Adobe ID. This gives you a view directly into what is stored in the cloud, so please take a screenshot of the left hand panel, ensuring that the All Photos section is included (and expanded to reveal the "Deleted" section as well), then post it here. You might also scroll through the main All Photos grid (main window) to see if those "important photos" are present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines