• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iPad Photos Not Displaying Camera RAW import previews

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I have a problem with. Mi iPad Pro 11 inches is not displaying raw files  previews when i connect the usb card.. I cleaned the cache and the problem persist. Could you help me please?78AEB33F-9014-4C55-B5FE-925047F2D424.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Hi,

this might sound strange to try out but, do you see any difference with iOS 13.4?

Thanks,
Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Which EOS are you using and what kind of files are you trying to import?
Which iOS version are you on?
Are you using a USB card reader or a cable to the camera?

Thanks,
Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ignacio  for help me ! I use Canon EOS RP and the Software version 13.3.1 and USB cable Reader. The files are  CR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ignacio  for help me ! I use Canon EOS RP and the Software version 13.3.1 and USB cable Reader. The files are  CR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please let us know how it behaves in 5.2.1?

Thanks,
Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I made de update to 5.2.1 and don't read the.files CR3 canon RP yet. What do i have to do 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me too!  I am using Lightroom 5.2.1 and connecting my Nikon to either my iPhone or iPad.  It loads the photos but does NOT show the thumbnails.  I am connecting a cable to the camera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. Could you please update Lightroom mobile to 5.2.2 version and let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Not sure about OP, but I'm on 5.2.2 now, and Fuji X RAF files are atleast not being previewed under direct import. Should I create a separate conversation about this issue? Or do you have any tips?

- Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the iOS Photos app able to display thumbs for your images in its own import screen?  

If you proceed to import the images into Lightroom, do the images then appear OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOPE!  They do not show up AT ALL 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 'Rennie58'

My last question above was directed towards another user.

Our recent app updated version 5.2.2 did include a fix allowing Nikon files to import more smoothly.  Can you confirm you've tried this latest app update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet - I have been up to my ears dealing with the current pandemic BUT I will try it --- might be a nice diversion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope - The update did not fix the thing. It uploads photos with no images so I can't see which photos I want to pick to download the phone so I can work with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

this might sound strange to try out but, do you see any difference with iOS 13.4?

Thanks,
Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!  That did the trick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. 

No change for me. It still only says it's a RAW file with a camera icon where the preview should've been.

- Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mockillo, if Apple native apps on your device (like the Photos app) can display your images' thumbnails, then Lightroom should be able to also.  Since the platform doesn't seem capable of displaying your images, Lightroom's importer screen won't be able to either.  Only after LR imports the images can we then render our own thumbs for you to see.  I understand this doesn't help you see/choose specific images before importing.  

I am guessing that you might be using Fujifilm's lossless compressed image capture setting, and not the uncompressed option.  I found samples of each kind of RAF, and confirmed that iOS (and Mac OS) cannot easily display the lossless compressed RAF.  I also confirmed iOS Photos and also Lightroom's import screen can display uncompressed RAFs display fine.  If seeing/selecting images *before* you import them into Lightroom is critical to your workflow, the only thing I can recommend is to shoot uncompressed RAF images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry what? How did this get flagged as solved? All you have done here is blamed Apple for a problem that is Adobes. Mac OS has zero issues with RAF Fuji Raw files, as somebody who has shot hundreds of weddings with a Fuji shooting raw for years I have never had an issue. For whatever reason even with the new update and what not this issue still persists, yet you want to blame Apple rather then the failing of your products. I feel as if this is a simple fix, it already works on LR Classic on other major platforms and has for years, why doesn't it work on iPad? Simple issues such as this should not exist in a monthly paid app. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it is an Apple problem. Even the latest IOS14 on the iPad does not display CR3 files. They can be loaded but not displayed in Photos. However if you then run Lightroom on the iPad it will successfully load the files from Photos and display them. You can then send them back to Photos as jpeg's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Charlie D,

You state that you have tested both compressed and uncompressed RAF files and found that uncompressed files display correctly while lossless compressed do not. You haven't said which model or firmware was used.
That is the case in my testing as well... But only for RAF files from my XT3s 

My XT4 RAFs do not  display correctly, in either format. Regardless of if I use a card reader or a direct connection.

As a working press photographer not being able to see the files (and see the files I have marked in camera) before I download them destroys any chance of a normal workflow, just not acceptable. 
To be fair none of the native iOS programs will correctly display XT4 raws on my iPad Pro (new 11"), so it would seem  that it is an Apple/Fujifilm issue. That said, it would be good for Adobe and your customers, if Adobe would use their position to facilitate a resolution to this problem. 
Tested with 2 XT3s and an XT4 all running the latest firmware on a iPad Pro 11" running 14.2

Hope to hear from you soon😉

Thanks

Ned

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ned, as you said, the platform itself can not display thumb previews because none are embeddded in the image.  In such cases, Lightroom must import the images so that the app can proceess them to display thumbnails.  Processing images to generate thumbs is what takes the most time during import.  Essentially, the same time and effort would be required to generate those thumbnails you want to see in the import screen.  For the platform or any app that runs on it to display thumbs in a snappy way requires thumbs to be embedded in the image files by the capture device.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys, i just bought a canon eos r6, i am not sure if my issue lands on this thread, but basically i am taking pictutes in raw the camera is generating a cr3 file, i use the canon connect app, transfer the pictures from the camera to my iphone or ipad on the photos app there is no thumbnail the images or preview is a dark screen, but when i import the pictures to lightroom i am able to see the picture i took, i have the iOS 14.3 on both devices i just update the firmware of the canon r6 to 1.2.0.

Do you guys have any work around to show the previews on the ipad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie D & thank you for your reply,I am however a bit confused by your
answer.
You say that "Hi Ned, as you said, the platform itself can not display
thumb previews because none are embedded in the image." Not what I said at
all, and I'm not sure what you mean by that, as there are always
thumbnails/info associated with/embedded in the images, whether they are
uncompressed or lossless compressed RAF files... Unless there is a serious
corruption issue, not the case here. The problem seemed to be that the
native iOS system (pictures app etc.) & installed applications such as
Lightroom were not displaying the thumbnails correctly, or at all. In my
initial testing I found that there was a problem with files from my XT4
displaying the thumbnails on my Ipad pro. However as I said this was not
the case with files from my XT3s. That led me to believe that there was
"something" different with the files from the XT4, that perhaps there was a
bug, or there wasn't currently full support for the XT4 in the iOS world,
and that Apple & Fujifilm needed to do some compatibility checking.
Some further testing, and while I have found inconsistencies with different
combos of brands of cards/readers/cables, the "problem" appears to be as
simple, or complicated, (at least in my case) as using a different cable.
I had tested with several different cables between the Ipad pro, cameras,
and also the card readers. These all gave similar results... No thumbnails
displayed from the XT4.
By chance I did one last test after backing up files from my laptop to a
Lacie Rugged HD. Rather that go retrieve another cable I simply used the
Lacie USB-C cable... é violà... Everything as it should be. Why? Not sure.
Not all cables are created equal, that's not news, but why with this
specific combo I don't know, so I can't give specific recommendations to
others with the same problem beyond listing what has worked for me now.

Fujifilm XT3 & XT4 bodies
Ipad pro 11" iOS 14.3
Standard Lacie USB-C -USB-C cable(comes with their 5t Rugged HD)
Pretty sure there are other cables that will also work, just not the two
others I had tried.

On my laptop I've been using PhotoMechanic for years, really the only way
to go if you have the need for speed... An Ipad equivalent is
ShutterSnitch. Definitely worth checking out, especially if you are looking
for a cable free solution.

Ned
--
Fotograf Ned Alley
Ulstadløkkveien 5. 7067, Trondheim
Tlf.: +47 95102054
E-post:fotograf.alley@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ned, 

Thanks for the detailed notes.  I can't speak to the Lacie experiene (is some processing happening there, etc).  I can only confirm that if the iOS platform can displag image thumbs, then so too can Lightroom during the import selection process.  Also, my apologies for mistating your point.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines