• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to download (not export) original files from the cloud?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I blew up my hard drive and now I want to download all the important videos and photos from the cloud to a new hard drive. Is there a fast way to do it or do I have to Export all these files through Adobe Lightroom? That seems very counter intuitive and a slow way to get some video files back to my hard drive.

TOPICS
macOS , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

You may not want to hear this but the actual solution is to replace your broken drive. And we're in the middle of the annual sales frenzy, so they're even heavily discounted right now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

I just exported as original on a bunch of videos (about 2GB worth of videos that were not cached locally) from Lightroom Desktop and it clearly simply downloaded the images to the folder I specified. Files are identical and the only activity was networking and no CPU or GPU used. Download was not far from the limit of my connection. Export as original is a simple download or copy from cache if you have already downloaded them for use in Lightroom so this should accomplish exactly what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this?

https://lightroom.adobe.com/lightroom-downloader

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the help.
This looked promising but doesn't help.

The problem is that I would have to have enough space on my hard drive for downloading all the photos and videos. So I still can't pick and chooce the photos and videos I need to download.

Currently I don't have the bandwith or the space to download everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't use downloader, the only option is to export originals in batches. This simply downloads the originals and saves them on your harddrive,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. So it seems. Very dissapointed to this system. Extremely slow to export original videos. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be basically as fast as your internet connection allows. There is no transcoding of the video. It simply downloads it if you choose to export originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is definitely does not let you simply download the file when you export original. I wish it was that fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just exported as original on a bunch of videos (about 2GB worth of videos that were not cached locally) from Lightroom Desktop and it clearly simply downloaded the images to the folder I specified. Files are identical and the only activity was networking and no CPU or GPU used. Download was not far from the limit of my connection. Export as original is a simple download or copy from cache if you have already downloaded them for use in Lightroom so this should accomplish exactly what you want. If you're not getting the full bandwidth of your internet connection this probably has more to do with Adobe's servers than anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that clarification and testing it yourself. That makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the reason for wanting to download selected photos and videos? If it's just for safety purposes (i.e. you don't trust Adobe to look after the files while in the cloud) you can choose to store specific albums locally (e.g. put the selected videos into a single album, then choose the store locally option for that album), which might good enough for you. But be aware that any files stored locally in that manner are placed into a capture date-based folder scheme, not in a per album folder. Not a problem if you don't specifically plan to use those files elsewhere, but if you do want to use them in a different app you're probably using the wrong version of Lightroom, i.e. Lightroom Classic stores all data on local drives, so is better placed should you want to make copies of selected files for external use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My external hard drive broke. It had about 200GB of photos and videos. My laptop has 5GB of free space so can't and don't want to download everything. I just need to download the few selected videos that are crucial to keep working. Adobe does not allow me to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may not want to hear this but the actual solution is to replace your broken drive. And we're in the middle of the annual sales frenzy, so they're even heavily discounted right now. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is definitely the solution. But I am choosing very carefully what I buy next. I'm currently in Ukraine volunteering and freelancing. My list of things to buy or upgrade is long. It doesn't help that here all the electronics are roughly 10-30% more expensive than the rest of Europe. Then there is the lack of electricity and overall internet speeds. Downloading a full backup of 200-300GB with +10 years old Macbook Air might just put a new item on my list of broken electronics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. It's a terrible situation to be in and I don't envy you being there. If I'd something spare, I'd happily donate it. The other option is to find someone you trust to download it and upload it somewhere for you to access just the bits you need. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am here by choice and can leave anytime so for me it's all managable. But it is a shame to visit some of these places with semi-professional gear which then effects the quality of videos and photos. Now that my workflow is also compromised it makes everything one more step more challenging. But I knew this could be the case when I came here. There are always workarounds, you just need to be slightly more patient. Although editing videos with my laptop is as close to digital inferno as it gets 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a new external hard drive and downloaded the Lightroom Downloader.
When I tried to download the files to the empty 2TB hard drive I get a message "Not enough free space available". 
Makes no sense.

Screenshot 2022-12-11 at 14.44.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ensured that the Downloader app has Full Disk Access (System Preferences>Security & Privacy Tab>Privacy>Full Disk Access, then add the Downloader to the list os approved apps)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried your advice. Didn't help. Still same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines