Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keep only smart previews in cloud?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

lets say i import my huge dng Files on my iPhone in Lr. It is clear that my iPhone will upload the full size into the cloud. But when the upload is completed, what happens next?

1) I understand that only the smart preview will be downloaded to the iPhone and the local DNG File deleted in order to make free some storage on the Device while the original DNG stays in the cloud.

2) And what happens to that DNG File in the Cloud as soon as Lr Classic has downloaded it to the PC / Mac? Will there only Smart Preview remain in the Cloud and the Original DNG deleted in the Cloud in Order the make some free storage in the Cloud? Because currently i think the DNG will always stay in the cloud. Or is it possible to delete the DNGs in the Cloud as soon as you have it in your local catalogue / library? An Option to decide this behavior would be great... (so you can go far with 20 GB online storage as the smart previews are not counted to that storage volume)

Thanks,

Sebastian

TOPICS
iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Web

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

The original DNG remains in the cloud. Lightroom Classic uploads smart previews when you start to sync an image from LrC, but it does not replace existing images by smart previews when it downloads images first synced from another source.

What you can do is remove such images from 'All Synced Photographs' in LrC. That will remove them from the cloud. After they have been removed, you sync them again from LrC. Then they will be uploaded as smart previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original DNG remains in the cloud. Lightroom Classic uploads smart previews when you start to sync an image from LrC, but it does not replace existing images by smart previews when it downloads images first synced from another source.

What you can do is remove such images from 'All Synced Photographs' in LrC. That will remove them from the cloud. After they have been removed, you sync them again from LrC. Then they will be uploaded as smart previews.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. So when i often import files on the go then i have to clean up the cloud manually and i have to sync the smart previews over an collection from Lr Classic.

My use case would be: I have all smart previews of all pictures i have in the Cloud plus the original pictures i imported on the go on my iPhone and was not yet able to download the originals to Lr Classic on my Mac...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct. If you "clean up" the cloud each time you get home, you'll have 20 GB when you are on the road. Of course I can't say if that's enough for you. It still wouldn't be enough for me.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines