• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom and IPad Air 4

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Lightroom / Photoshop subscription with 20 GB Cloud.

and an IPad Air 4, 256 GB

When traveling, I want to use Lightroom CC, the Ipad Air 4 and an external SSD to store thousands of RAW images and videos (XAVC format) from my Sony A7 IV, Sony ZV-1.

I plan with Lightroom CC:

1. load my pictures from SD memory card to Ipad via adapter (Ugreen).
  2.  quickly review the pictures and videos on the Ipad and delete the unsuccessful ones
    3. backup the good original pictures and videos (without editing) from the Ipad to an external 2 TB SSD. The internal storage is too small.
    4. from the photos stored on the external SSD, I want to edit some with Lightroom CC during the trip and send them as JPeg.

QUESTIONS:
1. can I use Lightroom CC for reading the SD card, reviewing and saving the RAW images on the external SSD?  As I saw to my surprise, Lightroom CC stores the photos exclusively in the cloud.

2. can I load copies of my photos from the external SSD into the Ipad Air 4 and edit them there with Lightroom CC and then send the images? As I said, the images are not in the cloud.

The cloud in any form is not a solution for me, as I am often far away from mobile internet and my data volumes are far too large to back up over the net.

At home I have been working on a PC with Lightroom Classic and Photoshop for years.

Best regards, Uli

TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Not really, no, Lightroom on the iPad has to copy photos into its local storage, it can't use external storage.

2. Yes, that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question about #1: Can I access the local storage of Lightroom? Or is it locked?

If it is open, after evaluating the photos with Lightroom, I could copy them to an external SSD with FileBrowser. Or is that not possible?

Best regards, Uli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To avoid the cloud and edit from external storage on your iPad, you need to use another application such as RAW Power for iOS, which allows adding locations as Referenced Folders. These work like folders in Lightroom Classic in that the images you edit can stay where they are, even if they are on external storage connected to the iPad. The screen shot showing my folders has “broken link” icons because my external storage is not currently connected to my iPad, so I’ll need to plug that in if I want to work with those folders.

RAW-Power-Add-Items.jpg

Of course the disadvantage of using a different application such as RAW Power is that any edits you do can’t be transferred into Lightroom. But if you mostly just want to review and delete the bad ones, and to quickly edit a few for sharing (and you don’t mind re-doing those edits after importing the same photos into Lightroom Classic later on your computer), then this could be a solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I can't use Lightroom for this task, then I'll have to use another program.

However, I was hoping to be able to do some tasks with Lightroom already on the go, like keywording.

Best regards, Uli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines