Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC Smart Preview Storage Location

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been hunting around for info on how to change the local hard disc location that Lightroom CC uses to store items such as previews and Smart Previews. I can find the setting under preferences to set where originals are stored, but not previews. I'm sure I'm not the only user with a small SSD C: drive who wants to store previews on a separate drive, but this doesn't look possible?

Any help or suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

That's not possible, I'm afraid. The best you can do currently is use the controls on the Local Storage tab to minimise the impact on your drive. The downside of that is that you might experience some slower loading of images if the smart preview and original has to be downloaded from the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not possible, I'm afraid. The best you can do currently is use the controls on the Local Storage tab to minimise the impact on your drive. The downside of that is that you might experience some slower loading of images if the smart preview and original has to be downloaded from the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim. That is a bit disappointing. I actually want to have the local Smart Previews so that I can work with my images when I'm not connected to the internet. To be honest it seems like a bit of an omission not to give the user a choice of where to cache files like this as there is a choice for Originals. Even though Smart Previews are much more space efficient than originals its quite easy to build up several gigabytes of them for a large catalog. Its also kinda irritating to have a USB drive with plenty of space on that could easily host my Smart Previews, but simply not be able to

Would be nice if a future update included the ability to select where these kinds of things are stored.

Thanks again anyway.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you've got zero available space on the hard drive, you could download the originals to the USB drive (you can do this on a per album basis now, you don't have to download them all), and keep the local drive space setting really low. I would have thought that should still allow you to work offline, provided you didn't try accessing images that you haven't pre-downloaded. I haven't tried that, but I'll try to setup a test to check when I can get access to a laptop that I can use for testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim.

I think what you propose should work fine and thanks again for the suggestion. I guess I am fundamentally stuck with two options: Work with the 'non' Smart Previews or download originals to an external device on a case by case basis (or small quantities of Smart Previews on the C: drive). Both of these just seem like compromises that don't need to be made, just because there is no option to save Smart Previews anywhere except the C: drive. I just re-iterate my wish that an update to the program includes this as an option to make life easier and less restrictive in the future.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I understand why it is restricted in that way, but you're not the first to request more control over location. Suggest you head over to the official feedback site and comment there (you'll probably find there's already a request which you could add your vote to): Lightroom CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim, I have made a suggestion in the feedback forum to allow user specified smart preview storage locations as I could not find an already existing thread that includes this (but as you say, several threads about controlling locations). Fingers crossed this may get implemented one day.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had faced the same conundrum. I had a 170gb smart preview.

So I discarded all the smart preview, and I figure I'll just build them per project, and discard them as I go.

I wish there were different qualities of smart previews too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Lightroom (Cloudy) on a Desktop you can put the Library on an external and a symlink to it on the internal in the default location, ~/Pictures folder. I know this not recommended but I have been doing this for 14 months on my iMac (only 256GB) without problem.

I don't do it on my laptop because it would mean having the external permanently connected. 

A link here https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/move-lrcc-library-to-external-with-symlink-in-pictu...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What you possibly could do is to create an mkLink to your other drive as described here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mklink

Havent tried it by myself, but should be worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines