• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom is VERY Slow- and not in the usual ways.

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm ready to pull my hair out.  For more than a year now my Lightroom program/catalog has been slow to the point where it might as well be going in reverse.  I'm honestly at my wit's end.

This problem started over a year ago and it has progressively gotten worse.  I have gone online and done all of the things that are suggested to speed up your processing.  Nothing works.

I used to have a pretty old computer and just assumed that was most of the issue, but recently I got a completely new system and it has not made a difference.

The catalog is kept on a second internal drive.  It is 6TB in size and has free space of 1.35TB.  The C drive (465GB) has 183GB free.

I'm running 32GB RAM, an Intel Core i-5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz   64 bit operating system

I don't think any of this is the issue.

I suspect the drive it is running off may be defective somehow so it will be replaced in the next week.

As I said I have done all of the things that I have read online to fix these issues (I will list below).  NOTHING has worked.

Due to Adobe no longer offering RAW updates I have gone from LR Classic to CC.  The problem predated this switch over.

I am shooting with two Sony cameras and am producing 85MB RAW files, uncompressed.  The problem predated these two cameras and was happening when I was shooting 25MB RAW files.

My catalog is roughly 144,000 images with a total size of 3.23TB (on a 6TB drive with 1.35TB free space).

The only suggestion I haven't tried is splitting up the catalog.  I didn't put much thought into this as I have heard there are people out there with catalogs containing more than a million images, with the catalogs not suffering the problems my workflow does.

So, here is what happens.

Editing on slider bars- make an adjustment and sometimes it takes 5-10 seconds to take effect.  Or, make several adjustments and nothing happens for a few seconds and then everything happens at once.  I have moved an exposure slider and seen no apparent effect and thinking my mouse isn't positioned properly have done it again.  Then in frustration moved it wildly back and forth with nothing happening.  Then all of a sudden, 3 or 4 seconds later all of the adjustments happen at once.

I will mark for deletion 75 photos.  Will delete selected photos and I might as well go make a coffee for the amount of time it will take.

But the worst slow down issue is this:  The program will constantly "wig out" on me.  I will select one image in the library module.  Over the next 5 or so seconds I will see the bar on the right side of the panel move up and down a little bit, and then the image will be selected.  If I try to select multiple images, this process may take more than a minute as that bar moves up and down until finally it has selected all of the images I have chosen (and at this time most of the field info says "mixed").

During this time, several things happen.  The program freezes up.  At the top of the program it says (not responding).  Lightroom will even disappear and suddenly I am in whatever program was running in the background (windows mail, Chrome, etc.)  I was just trying to select 9 images to produce an HDR shot and it just kept going back and forth to Lightroom (not responding) (responding Windows Mail, back to Lightroom, not responding, windows mail... I am contsantly getting the blue spinning circle status indicator when trying to do the simplest thing.

It's a problem that seems to be cumulative.  The longer I use Lightroom the worse it gets to the point where I shut it down, reboot the program and it's good again for a little while.

Yesterday I did multiple HDR stackings with NO issues.  Today I try to do one and the program has a meltdown and isn't capable.  I shut it down and reboot it and it selects the 9 images and opens the plugin no problem.

During this HDR assembly my CPU was at 7% and Memory at 47%.

Honestly, I can't take this anymore.  It takes me HOURS to edit images that should take me a lot less time.

Has anyone else had these issues?  Can anyone offer a solution???

If more info is needed from me please let me know what you might need to know to help.

Thank you in advance.

Michael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Hi Michael,

We're sorry to hear about this, could you please try creating a new user account with admin rights temporarily and try using Lightroom on that account and let us know how it goes?

Also, please have a look at this article and try the steps mentioned here: Photoshop lags, freezes, or runs slowly

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

We're sorry to hear about this, could you please try creating a new user account with admin rights temporarily and try using Lightroom on that account and let us know how it goes?

Also, please have a look at this article and try the steps mentioned here: Photoshop lags, freezes, or runs slowly

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone experiencing serious lagging issues with Lightroom. This solved it for me. I've been doing a lot of editing using brushes, gradient & radial filter etc. and all of a sudden Lightroom was lagging to the point it was practically unusable. The problem is that intensive editing uses up a lot of resources and creates tons of temp files. So I increased my Camera Raw Cache to 30GB and Video Cache Size to 20 GB in Preferences (Performance tab) and restarted Lightroom. Vola, Lightroom handles as usual. You can also try to purge each cache once in a while to reallocate the used up disk space. Hope that helps anyone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This thread is for Lightroom Desktop and the techniques /settings you've used do not apply to this software but rather to Lightroom Classic. I've seen you've posted in the Classic forum already. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines