• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Undo History or Optional Save?

Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I'm a relative beginner, but to have to lose all my work just because I can't find an Undo history seems like a pretty severe learning curve Lol wts. 

I opened a photo I had spent a long time editing. Then I found I had some duplicated presets, so I manually clicked and deleted about a dozen. Meanwhile it applied all the presets to my photo and apparently saved my photo, event though the edits were unintentional. I tried pressing Ctrl+Z to undo, but this didn't work. Once you close a photo and return to the album, is every change really unrecoverable? 

Are all my edits really lost just because I opened the photo and messed with some presets? Shouldn't it ASK me if I want to save what happened during a session? I don't always want to save every ________ thing I do, but Lightroom doing this makes me very tentative about exploring presets. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Thanks for the tips. OK so repeated Ctrl+Z is the only way, even if you did some 50 adjustments? Pretty odd coming from Photoshop, or any program that confirms saving changes. It certainly isn't helpful for practice or learning, since I may open a photo, mess with it for 30 minutes just to see if I can improve it, but decide in the end I liked it better before.

In the Lightroom Desktop app you can use the "Reset to Open" command, which does what is says on the tin....i.e. reverts the image

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Lightroom Version? 4.4?

What Device?  Mac I presume?

Do you mean that you wanted to 'Delete Presets from Lightroom? (Not delete the Preset edits from an image?)

To just Delete Presets from Lr- DO NOT [Left-Click] on the Preset- that applies it.

Do a [Right-Click] on the Preset and select [Delete...] from the context menu.

[Ctrl+Z] will step backwards through History deleting the accidently applied Presets (in reverse to being applied), but it has to be done immediately after applying those presets to the image. There is no history preserved if you come back to editing a photo at a later time.

Edit: I may be wrong here- I just opened another image to edit then returned to the first and [Ctrl+Z] still stepped back through a history of Preset 'applications'.

ie. Presets applied-  A,B,C,D,E,F.   [Ctrl+Z] undos in this order- F,E,D,C,B,A

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips. OK so repeated Ctrl+Z is the only way, even if you did some 50 adjustments? Pretty odd coming from Photoshop, or any program that confirms saving changes. It certainly isn't helpful for practice or learning, since I may open a photo, mess with it for 30 minutes just to see if I can improve it, but decide in the end I liked it better before.

It's hard to believe pumping the Ctrl+Z keys 50 times is the only solution to undo a session. Even duplicating a photo before trying some edits is fairly primitive and cumbersome. 

Yes I'm on Mac Catalina with the latest Photoshop / Lightroom (just signed up last week). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Lightroom Desktop app you can use the "Reset to Open" command, which does what is says on the tin....i.e. reverts the image to the state it was in before you started playing with it. You'll also find that in Versions there should be a time-stamped version which was auto-saved the last time you changed it (before opening it this time and making those 50 changes).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks those are some great options... I think I can stick with my subscription for a year now. I love the Reset to Open command, and Versions is nice but it doesn't seem to autmoatically make a Version. I applied a Preset over my basic edits, then closed the photo, and now Versions only has the Original to revert to, not my basic edits. So I can keep the most recent Preset, or go all the way back to the unedited photo. However, there's a "Create Version" button so I can manually do that every time I like something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be an auto-saved version made every time you edit an image. In the Versions panel there should be 2 tabs: Named and Auto. In the Named tab there will only be the "Original" version if you haven't yet saved and named a new version. But in the Auto tab you should find some time-stamped versions relating to previous edits (but there will also only be the "Original" if the image hasn't yet been edited).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, was able to confirm multiple Versions under Auto. Perfect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines