Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR CC with Cloud and SSD Change

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hu,

I have aot of photos stored locally on my Mac hard drive, and I have 15,000 of these imported to Lightroom CC. Some of these photos had started already backing up into the cloud, even though I did not wish for such option (why cant you just turn off cloud storage?)

Over the week I successfully cloned my SATA disk to a new SSD and then swapped over the devices in my MBP, but upon opening Lightroom for the first time it started attempting to re-snyc photos, to the point that it was then saying "photo unavailable etc" which meant I was unable view or edit the photo.

Why does this have to be so complicated for storing photos locally in LR without all this cloud nonsense? I have been forced to upgrade my cloud storage to 1TB because it keeps saying there isn't enough room, and I am hoping this resolves the issue, because I am very close to ditching Adobe altogether for a different editing programme.

Now, every time I boot LR, it attempts to move these 3700 photos, but keeps coming up with the same error?

How can I fix this, and how can I have every photo in the original format, rather than the smart preview rubbish? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds to me as though you've chosen the wrong version of Lightroom to use. There are 2 current Lightroom products, one called simply Lightroom and the other is called Lightroom Classic (note, there is no version of Lightroom with "CC" in the name).

Lightroom is cloud-centric, meaning the master images are stored in the cloud....although you can also have a locally stored copy, the primary copy is uploaded to the cloud.

Lightroom Classic is the current name of the traditional program which has the images stored locally on your computer. You can optionally sync smart previews of them to the cloud to facilitate access to them from your mobile devices, but the primary original images are stored wherever you decide to place them on your local system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it not seem ridiculous that you have a completely new software interface with the new Lightroom that you make it a cloud-only based programme, with no functionality to have it stored all locally without the requirement of Adobe Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For a start, I'm not Adobe staff. I'm a user just like you (this is a User-to-User forum), so I have no control over what Adobe chooses to do.

Having said that, no it doesn't seem ridiculous to me at all. Adobe provides two broadly similar image management and editing programs, one cloud-based and the other locally based, with some syncing between the two. In an ideal world they would have been able to extend Classic to incorporate the full range of cloud functionality, but that was apparently proving technically challenging so they chose to develop the cloud-centric Lightroom, in addition to continuing to develop Classic.

You have a choice (Classic or Lightroom or a combination), so just use the one that suits your preferences. Seemingly you don't want to use the cloud, so the decision would appear to be quite straightforward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines