• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migration Question

Contributor ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Victoria Bampton and the discovery that I can search for keyworded pictures using "and" and "or" I'm ready to migrate my Classic library to CC

First a little background then the question.

I have a MacBook Pro with a 500GB disk.  When home I connect the Mac to an external raid with about 900,000 GB of photos.  I've read Adobe's article about migration:

Migrate photos and videos from Lightroom Classic CC to Lightroom CC

The article states:

"The migration process creates a copy of your images. If you're running low on space on an internal drive on your computer, you might want to connect an external hard-drive and specify a location on it as the custom location."

No problem, I can point CC's storage location to my raid. I have a lot of room there.

Now for the question:
Once I start the migration, will my Mac have to be connected to the external raid 100% of the time until the migration complete?.  In Adobe's words, "This step may take a while to complete."  I envision this taking many hours or even days?  And that is not a problem, but I am always on the road with my Mac.  Will I have to leave the Mac home????

Thanks
Monty

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

900,000 GB? That would be 900TB. That sounds a little high. 😉

Yes the RAID would need to be connected while the migration to the new APP completes. It does take a while - imagine you were copying all those photos from one drive to another and you'll get a vague idea of the timeframe.

The upload can stop and start whenever it's connected though. So the actual upload could happen overnight each night whenever you're home, or something like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

900,000 GB? That would be 900TB. That sounds a little high. 😉

Yes the RAID would need to be connected while the migration to the new APP completes. It does take a while - imagine you were copying all those photos from one drive to another and you'll get a vague idea of the timeframe.

The upload can stop and start whenever it's connected though. So the actual upload could happen overnight each night whenever you're home, or something like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you reply! 
And yes. I was off a few decimal points!  How about 900GB or 0.9TB
I'd hate to think what the monthly charge would be for 900TB....
Thanks Again!

Monty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL Oh that's not so bad! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy Days!
Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 3.06.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a new MacBook Pro with Monterey version 12.3.1 and spent 3 hours yesterday trying to migrate my apple photos to Lightroom without success despite following the apple intructions. I then saw a note that said lightroom classic is only supported by earlier versions of Apple: Catalina, Mojave and Big Sur.   HELP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines