Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

need to create a gallery that clients can use to choose photos for editing

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

tl;dr need gallery that clients can use to choose photos for editing. The more automation, the better.

I am quoting to shoot 160 headshots for a company, and I want to streamline the photo-choice process. I'd like to upload 3-5 unedited photos per person into an online gallery (password-protected), and allow them to tick a box on their favourite, and then have that list of favourites automatically come back to me so I can edit the right ones.

Ideally, it'd be great if Lightroom Classic (my database of choice) could import those choices automatically (and marking them with a flag, colour, or star rating). I have the vague notion that Lightroom CC may be the way to go, but I've never used it and am not sure if the niche need I have can be done or not.

Can the Adobe Cloud ecosystem give me this functionality? (I am a subscriber to the entire suite).

You see, I normally shoot 20 or fewer people at a time (I usually work with much smaller companies), so for these clients I create a simple gallery from Lightroom Classic and upload that via ftp to my own domain. Then the portrait subjects email me their choices. It's a little faffy, plus this workflow will be impractical for 160 people.

Eventually, I'd like to create a portfolio website the same way, and have password-protected pages for clients. 

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Chas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

You could have a look at the "Collaborative Proofing" function in the LrWeb app (it's a "Technology Preview", so would have to be enabled first). It's intention is to allow the photographer to share an album with a client (or multiple clients), and allowing each of them to select a number of images (you can set a limit to the number of "selects"). Once selected, you can filter the selects by client, and automatically have those selects added to a new album (e.g. with the clients name), which mak

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could have a look at the "Collaborative Proofing" function in the LrWeb app (it's a "Technology Preview", so would have to be enabled first). It's intention is to allow the photographer to share an album with a client (or multiple clients), and allowing each of them to select a number of images (you can set a limit to the number of "selects"). Once selected, you can filter the selects by client, and automatically have those selects added to a new album (e.g. with the clients name), which makes subsequent targetted editing easier. Those albums would sync back to LrC for editing there.

There's no password option, though I guess the generated URL of the album is a form of password. And I'm not clear from your description if you want to share one album per person, or one album to which all the company's people would need to access to choose their own favourite. Either way, it's all that's currently available using the cloud. It obviously needs improvement, but you might be able to make it work.

A portfolio web-site is already possible using the Adobe Portfolio product (included in your subscription), and it can be password-protected. It is not interactive however, it's a viewing-only tool to showcase your images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much for your kind reply! Sounds like just what I need. I'll try it out right away (just need to figure out how to find it, and enable it 🙂

And the client hasn't decided if they want it to be one albumn per person, or one album for the whole company (that's what I'll be pushing for, would be far more efficient). 

And thanks also for the info on Adobe Portfolio, something else for me to try 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To enable it, open the LrWeb app in any browser by logging in to lightroom.adobe.com using your Adobe ID credentials. When logged in, click on your avatar top right and select Technology Previews, then you'll see the option to enable Collaborative Proofing.

Once enabled, select the album and you will see various icons at the bottom of the grid at the left-hand side. The 4th from the left should be the "Proofing" icon, click on that and start following the prompts. Come back if you need help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that, it wasn't quite intuitive (me not having ever logged in to online lightroom!).

A bit of googling didn't come up with the answer, good thing you were here 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to be able to help. The LrWeb app is a bit of a "hidden gem", many users don't know it exists, but it's my "go-to" app for syncing issues and image/album sharing. I particularly like the ability to add Sparks-style text and section dividers to a shared album (basically being able to enhance the story) which only LrWeb allows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely sounds like a hidden gem indeed!

Just to be clear: if I implement Collaborative Proofing, is that using LrWeb? (I don't see any reference to that). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only activate and setup Collaborative Proofing via the LrWeb portal, and when the selects come back you can only filter for them in LrWeb. Once you have created the album(s) containing the selects, that album will appear in all your connected apps (as a collcetion in LrC). The images can then be edited in any app as normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, is LrWeb just a name for lightroom.adobe.com? My mistake, I thought it was some sort of extra plugin. Right, I understand more now 🙂

And the tip to actually make another album with the selects (in order for them to appear as a collection in LrC) is a great tip.

I just did a bit of experimenting: selects I made in another browser window didn't show up in the original album (the one with collaborative proofing turned on) until I refreshed that browser window. Is this expected behaviour, or should the selects show up automatically?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Lrweb is just shorthand for the app that runs in a browser window when logged in at lightroom.adobe.com.

Yes, you'll need to refresh the window if you want that immediate feedback, there's no automatic refresh (unless you use an auto-refresh browser extension). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

always good to know the nuances! (thanks for all the nuances 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the tip to actually make another album with the selects (in order for them to appear as a collection in LrC) is a great tip.

By @cgtway

Yes, the selects are only visible in LrWeb (in the Proofing tab), so creating a dedicated per user album/collection to get visibility into LrC is very helpful. When experimenting, see the drop down list at the top centre of the proofing grid, which is where you can filter per client if you've shared with multiple clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great tip (again), thanks! This is going to really help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Portfolio is an online website for showcasing samples of your best work online.  Lightroom CC albums can be synced to Portfolio for quick insertion into Portfolio pages.  Optionally you may password protect pages or the entire site if desired.  However, Portfolio is not an interactive platform.  It's mainly for display purposes.

Getting Started with Portfolio

https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/articles/360035497414-Getting-Started-Steps

Integration with Lightroom CC

https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/articles/360036720853-How-the-Lightroom-integration-works

12 Themes, options & features:

https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/articles/360035995733-Themes-features

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, thanks for all those pointers, much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for this information. Is there a size limit when using LrW for client proofing? I have about ~1500 images for the client to select from (it's a very close family member so I'm not limiting anything) but I'm wondering if there is a restriction on gallery sizes. I can't seem to find this information anywhere. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines