• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No local storage

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a lot of trouble importing images to Lightroom CC I have a 64 GB iPad but I pay for the 1 Terabyte of storage on Lightroom. No matter how much room I still have on Lightroom, it will not let me import the images if I'm out of space on my iPad. This is very frustrating since I pay for the cloud service so that I don't have to have the space on my iPad. Is there any way to get around this? 

TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If using LrMobile to import images, the images first have to be ingested into the LrM app space on the iPad. From there they will be uploaded to the cloud, and only when they are safely stored in the cloud can the local copies be removed from LrM and replaced by much smaller previews. 

If you want to bypass LrM and upload directly to the Adobe cloud you could try using the LrWeb app (in a browser window) on the iPad. That may work, but I haven't tried it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jim is correct -- Lightroom iOS needs to import originals into the app's cached files and maintain them there long enough to upload said originals to cloud storage.  The app does automatically clear cache, and purge originals that are already uploaded to cloud storage, but the performance isn't great as @Emilee5C9F has clearly noticed.  When I've been on the road myself, I found it better to manually manage imports and cache purging in this way:
1. Free up at least 2 GB of space on my iOS device.  I was able to do this using Offload Unused Apps in iOS Settings.

2. Launch Lightroom iOS, tap the cloud icon, and pause sync

3. Import about 1 GB of images from my SD card (leaving about 1 GB available on the device after import)

4. Unpause sync. Let sync complete.

5. In LR app settings, go to Local Storage, and tap 'Clear Cache'

6. Repeat from step 2 above.

This manual method can be cumbersome, but does save time overall vs letting the app's automatic cache mgmt purge a few files, import and sync a few more, etc.  The developers are aware that cache management could be more aggressive -- an enhancement request is filed. 

Jim also mentioned a good workaround, using the LR Web app, which is included with LR Mobile subscriptions.  I have experienced some platform limitations with this option, but still it is worth trying.

How this works on iOS:

1. Attach your SD card or camera to your iPad or iPhone

2. In Safari, sign into your subscribed account in LR Web: https://lightroom.adobe.com

3. In LR Web tap 'Add Photos'. Then tap 'select them' in the Add Photos dialog that pops up.  Then select 'Choose Files' -- this will use the iOS Files user interface to browse files on your device

4. Select your attached storage, and browse to the DCIM folder or other location for your photos, and select the photos you want to import.

Note: if you have many files to import and upload, I recommend using a fully charged device with screen auto-lock set to 'Never' in iOS Settings > Display & Brightness

The platform limitation I mentioned above is that for my own personal Sony raw files, some (but not all) files show "File size too big" -- I believe this may relate to Files.app API limitations.  The Files app has improved over time, but my sense is that the app isn't geared towards serving as a conduit for thousands of files to pass from one app to another.  For more than a few hundred files, the Files app just doesn't seem as stable as using Lightroom's direct import method, or importing from the device camera roll.

I will say that using https://lightroom.adobe.com in a desktop web browser, I've been able to import huge batches of files -- in groups of ~30,000 images.  Desktop browsers are a fast way to import many images from external storage into Lightroom's cloud storage.  I know this does not speak to the needs of iOS users without such desktop hardware, but it performs so well I am sharing this info in case it helps anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines