• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Edit in Photoshop a file previously edited in Photoshop has layers flattened.

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've edited a photo from Lightroom (5.3) to Photoshop (23.3.1) by using the "edit in Photoshop" function. After I've saved the photo in Photoshop back to Lightroom, I wanted to open it in Photoshop again in order to continue my edits, but I figured that all layers etc have been merged to one. Is this normal? Is there no chance to maintain all edits in the Lightroom container?

thanks!

regards
Juergen 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expected Behavior:

1.  Edit Photo in PS and return to Lightroom
  2.  If no LrD edits are performed on the returned file, editing a second time in PS should open the file with layers intact.

1.  Edit Photo in PS and return to Lightroom
  2.  If any LrD edits are performed on the returned file, editing a second time in PS should open the file with layers flattened.

I hope that helps you diagnose your issue. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, great, thanks! Do you have any idea if I could revert a file, once it has been flatened by LR again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply quesiton: How to reopen a already started project from Lightroom directly. After editing a image i closed it in photoshop, the tif project apears in Lightroom and it's synced to the cloud. So far so good 🙂 

But if i want to edit it again an click "edit in photoshop" lightroom generates a new project with only one layer instead of just opening the full project. Any advice here? Or is lightroom just killing all layers storing the image to the cloud as a tif and the project is gone? In this case i will leave lightroom again and go back to lightroom classic. Cloud is nice, but i want to have everything everytime locally and cloud is only a additional feature. 

Funny thing...photoshop don't see the open images as last opend as well. From my perspective this is a bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Workaround 1: Befor closing, go to your temp location and copy the tif to your project folder, so it will not be deleted. You can add it then to the lightroom again. 

Workaround 2: Don't use lightroom to open in Photoshop....onyl for managment and sharing with models. Rest ist done in Lightroom Classic. 

In the end the whole eco systems feels messed up here, the hard urge to put everything into the cloud and feels not like a symbiosis of local working and online cloud. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines