• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Samsung S22 Ultra exhibits unusual color pattern due to malformed metadata in file

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a new Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra phone and installed the latest Lightroom Mobile (LRM). All the DNG RAW photos I take with the LRM camera  are unusable because they come out with bands of rainbow colour all over them.  The angle of the bands varies between photos.  JPG files from the LRM camera are OK.   JPG or DNG photos taken with the default Samsung camera are OK.  Is this a bug that will be fixed in Lightroom Mobile?   

Interestingly, the Lightroom Mobile DNG files look fine when viewed in the Microsoft Windows Photos app on my PC - but not in any Lightroom app (including Lightroom Classic, Lightroom Web)! 

I cannot attach an example because this site says the content type does not match its DNG extension but here is a JPG exported from the DNG in Lightroom Classic which shows the problem.

LRM_20220223_084410-LRexport-202202230844101.jpg

My old Samsung Galaxy Note 9 did not have this problem.

TOPICS
Android

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

The title of this post indicates there is a problem with the file supplied by Samsung. A fix would need to come from the device manufacturer in order for this issue to be corrected. 

The device manufacturer has been made aware of the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, as there are many lenses on the new Samsung S22 Ultra, can you check that all of these have had all plastic covering removed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have looked closely at all the lenses and cannot see any plastic film. I also tried taking the same photo by just switching from the DNG to JPG option in the Lightroom camera which seems to always use the same lens.  The two photos had the same frame but the JPG photo was OK and the DNG showed the coloured banding.   [As a side remark, the Lightroom camera would have much more potential and interest if it allowed me to choose among the available lenses on this phone - perhaps the Adobe engineers coudl think about that ... ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that this is a Samsung problem.

If it were an Apple problem, it would have been fixed months ago...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem.

It's the same i both Automatic, Pro and HDR.
App ver 7.2.1 (Arm8) Android 12

As the other metinoned: This is not a problem in the camera app folowwing the S22. Not if i shot i Pro mod and get dng files. The jpg fra PS Camera is also OK. The suggestet plastic covering the lenses should ha created this effect regaring of camera in use.

(Is the plastic covering all lenses? I havn't removed anything from the lens front and are not able to do i either.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting status to investigating

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rikk, Is there any news about this problem?  It's over 4 months since my first post ... Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this fixed yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope not yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! What did 5 months of investigating yield?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that this does not affect any device with an 'Apple in their logo.

For Samsung users, take it easy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To assist us in diagnosing the issue we need 2-3 DNG files that exhibit the problem. Would it be possible for those experiencing the issue to provide a couple of files?

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that we cannot download files in dng format, I created a shared folder on Google Photos, here is the link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/y36r1qD2cmaEC8tn8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will Adobe now just ignore the users on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick
Just send you a dropbox link with 4 pic, dgn and jpg.
Strangly, when I open the dng in Windows Photo it looks fine, but in all programs using Adobe Camera RAW the banding shows.

/Steinar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rikk,  I also sent you a Dropbox link in a private message.  The folder includes DNGs from the LR camera showing the problem, JPGs from the LR camera which do NOT have the problem and DNGs from the Samsung camera app which do not have the problem.   
The Lightroom camera files have names of the form LRM*.* of course.
They are all taken with the same lens (the Rear Wide Camera).  
A possible clue to the problem is that these files have a resolution of 12 or 15 MP whereas the Samsung camera can also take 108 MP images with this camera.   I have not found a way to change resolution in the Lightroom camera but this might be a departure from the traditional principle that a RAW file uses the full sensor resolution.   Just a guess ..  Thanks for looking at this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Settings status from Started to Investigating. We've received sample files - thank you. 
After evaluating, we've forwarded our findings to Samsung for further evaluation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk

I have a question whether Adobe has managed to determine where this problem with belts comes from when shooting with adobe lightroom mobile and when will you be able to solve it?
Regards
Rafal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second that. Samsung S22 with all updates and described problem with banding persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there is a new version of LR mobile. The problem still exists. Does anyone from Adobe even think about support here? Maybe it needs to be reported through another channel?

Regards, Rafal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It's not necessary to shoot with the LrM camera. Just shoot with the S22 camera in PRO mode and RAW, and synk the RAW to LrM. Then you get access to adjustment in LrM and thge dng synced to your computer.

BTW, there is NO reason to use other than PRO and the lens standard focal length. ALL use of zoom or different formats is just cropping and/or upscaling for jpg. That goes for what they say is optical zoom.

/steinar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello SteinarBI, thanks but I was aware I could use the Samsung camera in PRO mode and edit the DNGs in Lightroom.  In fact I made some available to the Adobe engineers so they could compare DNGs from the two camera apps.   So one can manage but it would be nice to have the choice of the Lightroom camera, its particular design and features.

[Since this phone has multiple camera lenses with different focal lengths you are not limited to "digital zoom" (cropping) in the Samsung camera app.  A couple of days ago I made a separate post in this community to suggest that the Lightroom camera could also allow the choice of other lenses, which is not presently possible.  In Lightroom you can see which lens has been used.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any fix to this problem?

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to add my findings:
It is not related just to Lightroom, the same issue has Motion cam or Open camera.
I assume that only Exynos phones are affected, since there are videos on YT where US users are able to use Motion cam to capture CineDNG files and create videos (https://youtu.be/dClAIGMO1t0?t=129  or https://youtu.be/Z9DbHPk3xvg?t=483 ). 

Could all of you with this issue discolose if you have Snapdragon or Exynos variant? It could help Adobe and also Adobe then could address it to Samsung. I assume they have better chance then us, individuals.

I have already had a chat with Samsung helpdesk, but they suggested to enter safe mode, which will disable any 3rd party apps and contact Adobe, since Samsung native app is working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines